Best Mexican Restaurant

What do yall think is the best mexican restaurant in the houston metro?

This is one of those topics that noone will agree on. Border mexican and central mexican are two completely different types for different tastes. I go to certain mexican restaurants for certain items.

The grilled items at the orignal Ninfa's are good. however most other stuff is horrible.

Pappasito's...I would not wait in a line here cause the quality or taste of the food is not that good.

For cheese enchiladas try Spanish Village on Almeda. Yes it's a dump, but the enchiladas are the best.

For chicken mole enchiladas try, Maria Selma on Richmond. Their frozen margaritas (top shelf) with orange juice are great.

For good tex-mex, try El Jardin on Harrisburg. Good generic mexican for reasonable prices.

Hugo's is fairly good, however the prices seem unwarranted for some of the dishes they serve. $42 for an appetizer is ridiculous.

I don't get the appeal of Doneraki's. Last time i went i was disappointed.

Another good generic restaurant is Bravo's on Fuqua. The tortillas are homemade including their corn ones. and the are not greasy like Ninfa's. Prices are ridiculously cheap.

I used to like Spanish Flower but since the expansion service went down to me.

I just realized i eat out too much.

• Like 1

*Tex-Mex does not equal Mexican...

I really like Papasito's fajitas (but I agree with above post about being too pricey). I also really like Lupe Tortilla for Fajitas. Their marinade it very limey and awesome.

My favorite Cheese enchiladas has to be Los Tios on Westhiemer and Tanglewilde. I grew up on those things and they have a special place in my pallet. My people I have taken to Tios have been less than impressed. I guess it is just me.

The place I go the most for taco's and tortas is 100% Taquito. That place rules. I could eat there daily.

A good friend of mine recommended that to me as well.  I thought it was very much like food found in Puebla, Mexico.  GOOD....but not the standard fair that most Houstonians flock to.

You are correct. 100% Taquito is not Tex Mex. They do not have orange melted cheese for your dipping pleasure. The tacos are very plain and there in lies the yumminess of the place.

Since reading this thread I have made plans to hit Los Tios tonight for some greasy Enchaladas. FIRED UP !!!

Guest danax

I don't want to found like some food snob but I have yet to find the Mexican restaurant that I am looking for. Maybe it's Cal-Mex or Organi-Mex but I like brown rice and sauteed veggies instead the usual. Los Ang. used to have lots of places like that.. any ideas?

I've done Chipotle and Mission burritos and they are just so-so.

I don't want to found like some food snob but I have yet to find the Mexican restaurant that I am looking for. Maybe it's Cal-Mex or Organi-Mex but I like brown rice and sauteed veggies instead the usual. Los Ang. used to have lots of places like that.. any ideas?

I've done Chipotle and Mission burritos and they are just so-so.

my mom's house. :)

danax you should give the 100% taquito a try. it's on the southside of 59south inside the loop. i don't remember if they had a veggie variation, maybe something with avocados. maybe trophy property knows since he goes there????

is a burrito mexican? I thought that was an american invention.

To me, the best fajitas are from Ninfa's (original or Mama Ninfa's). They are about the only place I can get fresh corn tortillas. Most every other restaurant are pre-made, pre-packaged.

But as far as overall quality for Tex-Mex, I absolutely LOVE La Mexicana on Fairview and Montrose. I've been eating their Chicken Taco de Fajitas for years. It's like comfort food to me now.

On the cheap, I love Los Tios, the one on Kirkwood and Memorial. The crispy beef tacos are really awesome. When I was three, I lost my pet pillbug Freddie there. I never did get over that. :P My mother never did either. :o:lol: Always wondering why in the he*l I brought a bug with me to a restaurant. :lol:

I also really love Escalante's and Guadalajara. They both have delicious queso, and sometimes that's all I really want, just chips and queso and a big fat margarita.

I know I am leaving a restaurant out....durn it all.......well, I'll think of it later I am sure!!

On the cheap, I love Los Tios, the one on Kirkwood and Memorial.  The crispy beef tacos are really awesome. When I was three, I lost my pet pillbug Freddie there.  I never did get over that.  :P  My mother never did either.  :o  :lol:  Always wondering why in the he*l I brought a bug with me to a restaurant.  :lol:

Just got home from Los Tios. I sure do love those Cheese Enchilladas. We hit hte one in Meyerland. Not as good as the originals on Westheimer or the one of Memorial. But still darn tasty.

What do yall think is the best mexican restaurant in the houston metro? To me ninfas wins in the rice, refried beans, fajitas, and tortillas category, but best overall I feel is Teotihuacan on irvington and cavalcade.

OMG! It's all about the El Juan plate! With the exception of the flautas, most of the chicken dishes seem to pale to their beef fajita creations.

U know, we as houstonians can be really arrogant if we want. I mean honestly, outside of maybe L.A., we have really got to be the most knowledgeable, on point connosieurs of mexican food in the country. Think about it. The selection of restaurants, the different styles, the sheer mass of restaurants, the highly evolved critique. Right or wrong? I've always felt kinda proud of this. Were the s**t.

U know, we as houstonians can be really arrogant if we want. I mean honestly, outside of maybe L.A., we have really got to be the most knowledgeable, on point connosieurs of mexican food in the country. Think about it. The selection of restaurants, the different styles, the sheer mass of restaurants, the highly evolved critique. Right or wrong? I've always felt kinda proud of this. Were the s**t.

I agree. I went to unergrad in Colorado. The Mexican food was horrible. People used to rave about a few resturaunts. They had no idea what was good or bad. They really had no idea what they were missing. I guess if you do not know any better !!

You can't find a chimichanga in Houston? I see them everywhere. :huh: I love 'em but they are soooo bad for ya. But then...what isn't? :P

Just do a google search for "Chimichanga Houston" and you'll see tons of stuff. Even Berryhill, which I forgot to add to my original list for best tamales anywhere, serves them. YUM!!

Guest danax
You can't find a chimichanga in Houston?  I see them everywhere.  :huh:  I love 'em but they are soooo bad for ya.  But then...what isn't?  :P

Just do a google search for "Chimichanga Houston" and you'll see tons of stuff.  Even Berryhill, which I forgot to add to my original list for best tamales anywhere, serves them.  YUM!!

I just haven't run into one but have never actually done any searching. Berryhill is one place I've actually never been to and have been meaning to check out.

I agree.  I went to unergrad in Colorado.  The Mexican food was horrible.  People used to rave about a few resturaunts.  They had no idea what was good or bad.  They really had no idea what they were missing.  I guess if you do not know any better !!

i was just in denver for work. they wanted to take me out to a mexican restaurant and ended up taking me to chipotle!

chuy's is my favorite down here (that creamy jalapeno is unbeatable), and freebirds for the fast burrito. though neither of those are technically mexican, i prefer tex-mex.

mmm oh yeah Chuy's... I like the (non-mexican) Elvis Fried Chicken. What can beat a chicken breast battered in crushed lays potato chips, fried, and smothered in queso.

We always called it the "Defib Special". :)

Chuy's seems to be a real fan favorite. I have never undertood why. I admit to loving the Creamy Jalepeno sauce, but I have never been wowed by anything else on the menu. With that said I lived with 2 dudes I went to college with a few years back. Both were from Colorado and both thought Chuy's was the greatest resturant in Houston (Mexican or otherwise). I just do not get it.

Chuy's seems to be a real fan favorite.  I have never undertood why.  I admit to loving the Creamy Jalepeno sauce, but I have never been wowed by anything else on the menu.  With that said I lived with 2 dudes I went to college with a few years back.  Both were from Colorado and both thought Chuy's was the greatest resturant in Houston (Mexican or otherwise).    I just do not get it.

In college most of my friends were vegetarians and they all loved the place. Maybe they dont use lard in there beans? I don't know, other than that elvis chicken thing nothing really rocked my world... I do remember what they all ordered... The Chuy's Veggy Special with Deluxe Verde Sauce.