George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

Way better than LAX, but I think you're right. I am very greatful that the plan has moved away from parallel concourses. Maybe it's just my hatred for ATL.

No love lost for either ATL or LAX, they were designed for a different era when you had 1/3rd as many people in a terminal at any given time.  LaGuardia has t be the worst, though.

IAH, especially Terminal E is really top notch in terms of passenger comfort.

I can't stand ATL either.  Not only are the waiting lounges are about the size of my Heights bungalow living room, but unlike, say, DEN, the concourses packed in enough that expanding them is difficult without the sort of wholesale reconstruction that's been going on at both of our airports.  Unlike DEN and even IAH, ATL also doesn't really have the real estate to expand.

I think the internal signage at IAH could be better.  I don't use it very often in favor of HOU, and can therefore see how it wouldn't be difficult for someone trying to make a connection to get as lost as last year's Easter eggs trying to get from one terminal to another.  

DEN is nice very nice compared to the ATL for a parallel concourse design.  I think that if IAH was converted to parallel concourses, using the same width that our concourses currently are, IAH would be a lot more like ATL than DEN.  Still, I do hear a lot of complaints from connecting passengers that IAH is difficult to navigate.   

Good news today that IAH will be getting an AMEX Centurion Lounge.  Which are Way Sexy and better than any Airline Lounge I've ever been in, so far.  With the exception of Virgin's at Heathrow. 

Same here!! We just flew in from New Zealand and the line at LAX was embarrassing, long and people had no idea where the lines were beginning. It was a total disaster.

IAH isn't bad. LAX is awful. We came back from New Zealand, and after Customs were dumped onto a sidewalk with not one shred of signage, and no clue as to where to go. IAH may get crowded, but you can at least tell where to go.

Wxman.  It's been years (2007) since I re-entered via LAX. Same story.  It was Complete chaos.  Scary even. I was hoping it'd be better by now...but, I guess it's not.  We should be able to do better.  Are we really the surliest country in the world?  It sure seems like it sometimes. 

So you are telling me that LaGuardia Airport could get into the unified airport business (instead of piece meal development) but IAH cant? This is New York btw! A place where you can't get anyone to agree on anything! Plus that airport is in the middle of Queens and is able to do all of this! No excuse at all!

http://www.archdaily.com/770991/new-yorks-laguardia-airport-to-get-21st-century-makeover

20067546331_3f772b69a3_k.jpg?1438105602

They are also shutting down the airport while they do this.  Since LGA is the smaller airport, JFK can take some of the load.  I don't think Hobby is even capable of landing half the planes that go through IAH, much less handle that many people

They are also shutting down the airport while they do this.  Since LGA is the smaller airport, JFK can take some of the load.  I don't think Hobby is even capable of landing half the planes that go through IAH, much less handle that many people

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Delta is still going to run its terminal while the other is under construction. Its also going to be in phases. They are starting in 2016 and will be finished 2021. Also it maybe a smaller airport, but its no Hobby. Its very big for its location and a very important airport.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Delta is still going to run its terminal while the other is under construction. Its also going to be in phases. They are starting in 2016 and will be finished 2021. Also it maybe a smaller airport, but its no Hobby. Its very big for its location and a very important airport.

My mistake - I was sure I read that somewhere...

9. During construction, will the airport be closed at any time?

The hours of airport operation are not expected to be affected by construction activities.

Back to Topicon_back_top.gif

10. Will flights be affected by construction activity?

Construction will be phased to maintain airport activities and the number of flights are not anticipated to be affected during construction.

Back to Topicon_back_top.gif

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lgareimagined/#faqsAirportsLGAQu28

Also, HOU and LGA have about the same slice of their markets (23%) but LGA has over the twice the traffic of Hobby (13,415,797 boadings v 5,800,726 boardings)

In conclusion, I got 1 thing sort of right out of 3 - 33%, an F in airports

2014 data - latest that Wikipedia had

post-13944-0-61284300-1438116727_thumb.p

Edited by cspwal
  • Like 1

So you are telling me that LaGuardia Airport could get into the unified airport business (instead of piece meal development) but IAH cant? This is New York btw! A place where you can't get anyone to agree on anything! Plus that airport is in the middle of Queens and is able to do all of this! No excuse at all!

Strictly speaking, it's on the edge of Queens since Flushing Bay is its northern border.   :ph34r: 

That is all.

Good for LaGuardia.  If there is a major airport in America more in need of replacing its terminals, I can't imagine what it would be.  The newest parts of LaGuardia's terminals are probably older than the oldest parts of IAH.

I don't get the obsession with a unified airport.  Perhaps that would be the way to go if one were starting from scratch. But we aren't starting from scratch.  What would be the justification for spending money (and a lot of it) merely to achieve a unified airport?  

FWIW, here is a list of the world's busiest airports showing which ones have unified terminals and which do not (of the 28 airports of IAH's size or larger, only 6 are so-called unified airports and at least two of those six have plans to go un-unified:

1.    Atlanta.  No.

2.    Beijing Capital.  No.

3.    Tokyo Haneda.  No.

4.    London Heathrow.  No.

5.    Dubai.  No.

6.    Chicago O'Hare.  No.

7.    DFW.  No.

8.    LAX.   No.

9.    Hong Kong Int'l.  No.

10.  Paris CDG.  No.

11.  Frankfurt.  No.

12.  Istanbul.  No.

13.  Soekarno-Hatta.  No.

14.  Amsterdam.  Yes.

15.  Guangzhou Balyun.  Yes.

16.  Singapore.  No.

17.  JFK.  No.

18.  Shanghai Pudong.  No.

19.  Denver.  Yes.

20.  Kuala Lumpur.  No.

21.  Suvarnabhumi Thailand.  Yes.  But master plan is No.

22.  San Francisco.  No.

23.  Seoul Incheon.  Yes.

24.  Charlotte.  Yes.

25.  Las Vegas.  No.

26.  Madrid.  No.

26.  Phoenix.  No.

28.  IAH  No.

• 2 weeks later...

I40T1145049X8RIC5FIOD8UQ9P6KEOFLDXKVS4TP

outside of this being grossly unrealistic (where's the mass of people huddled around 2 or 3 power outlets charging their cell phones?)...

The lady in the middle of the illustration that is the focus of the image has her head hanging down and just generally looks sullen, such a great statement on the current state of air travel in this country!

I can only imagine that she must have just received word that after her initial flight to Houston was delayed for 2 hours, now her connecting flight on to Europe has as well been delayed by 3 hours. So after spending her entire first leg of her flight thinking that her lazy 3 hour layover was going to be a hectic 1 hour rush from terminal A to terminal D and maybe try to grab a snack on the way, it's now a 5 hour layover, and she's contemplating how she is going to keep her phone charged with all the outlets already in use, and maybe next time she'll just vacation somewhere she can get to by car.

and what's up with that plane flying in the air in the top left of the picture, I assume that the orientation of this picture is facing east, as the terminal will be on the north, and the planes are all on the left of the terminal, the north south runways are on the west of the airport, this plane appears to be in descent, and will be landing somewhere down will clayton parkway, no wonder her flight is delayed, these planes can't even find the runways!

Edited by samagon
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Please fly to Medellin direct and ill be the first to buy a ticket

That would be easier, 737 could do it. I was wondering why Avianca not flying Houston from Bogota or Medellin?

Please fly to Medellin direct and ill be the first to buy a ticket

That would be easier, 737 could do it. I was wondering why Avianca not flying Houston from Bogota or Medellin?

Medellin will be the new hotspot in South America in 5 years. It was the most beautiful city ive ever witnessed in my life

• 2 weeks later...