George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

It's gonna look pretty slick but slightly out of place compared to the other very dated terminals with the bland, beige walls on the outside.

Those "very dated terminals with the bland, beige walls on the outside" are becoming more and more scarce.  If anything is going to look out of place it will be the few remaining bland beige walls.

Edited by Houston19514

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Neither the current controller nor his predecessor would certify the funds precisely because the previous bid process had more than a whiff of influence peddling about it.  You'll have to come up with a better example than sending this out for rebidding if you want to claim machine politics are in play.

Neither the current controller nor his predecessor would certify the funds precisely because the previous bid process had more than a whiff of influence peddling about it.  You'll have to come up with a better example than sending this out for rebidding if you want to claim machine politics are in play.

Right. Green was the one who started holding up the contracts.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Controller-Green-holds-up-airport-contracts-6703744.php

State Rep. Borris Miles's insurance company was included as a subcontractor. Ron Green subpoenaed Miles last year in his divorce from Hilary Green for videos and photos of Hilary. I'm not saying that's the reason why Green held up things because Green didn't mention Miles or the insurance contract in his e-mail to council members, but I wouldn't be surprised if that gave him some extra motivation to block and scrutinize the iffy contracts. (sips tea)

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-Controller-Ronald-Green-trades-6268556.php

Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/18/2015 at 11:58 AM, samagon said:

I40T1145049X8RIC5FIOD8UQ9P6KEOFLDXKVS4TP

The rending above and what's actually shaping up on the earthcam appear to be two different terminal buildings if you're comparing just the roof structure. Anybody else agree?

Edited by wxman

So I was reading the annual ''state of the airports'' report by Mr. Diaz of HAS and he says their main focus in 2016 is to continue to expand international service. In 2015 we saw the arrival of Eva, Al Nippon, Volaris and Air New Zealand. Does anybody have any inside info on any new carriers in the works? I still think it would be cool to get a direct to Johannesburg or maybe Tel Aviv. Last year, Mr. Diaz noted that they're working hard to expand service to Africa.

• 2 weeks later...

Given Ethiopian's look for another US route, and Mr. Diaz's penchant for rounding up new plane tails, I'd think ADD would be a nice possibility.  They'd offer some Middle East connections without the need to backtrack.  I still think ORD would make more sense for them than Houston but Korean Air was a surprise and seems to be sticking around.

14 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

Given Ethiopian's look for another US route, and Mr. Diaz's penchant for rounding up new plane tails, I'd think ADD would be a nice possibility.  They'd offer some Middle East connections without the need to backtrack.  I still think ORD would make more sense for them than Houston but Korean Air was a surprise and seems to be sticking around.

Air New Zealand was also a surprise because a lot of people thought ORD would get the nod over Houston. That however only made more sense being that by the time they get to the US, they're probably already running on fumes and out of an abundance of safety, Houston was the obvious choice probably. 

For the last few years, we've added foreign flags to Terminal D. Last year alone we added four or five. I suspect we'll see another two or three this year so Ethiopian wouldn't surprise me.

Star Alliance airlines have better connections in IAH.  To travel to Latin America and South America and the Olympic games coming soon.  Or also New Orleans, Florida is better.  Also United will give you 2 day stopover free if booked on united.com.  ET may be the next airline to fly from IAH since they have the 787.  

3 hours ago, wxman said:

Air New Zealand was also a surprise because a lot of people thought ORD would get the nod over Houston. That however only made more sense being that by the time they get to the US, they're probably already running on fumes and out of an abundance of safety, Houston was the obvious choice probably. 

For the last few years, we've added foreign flags to Terminal D. Last year alone we added four or five. I suspect we'll see another two or three this year so Ethiopian wouldn't surprise me.

I agree with respect to Air New Zealand.  They wanted to run the route with the 777, and ORD is a hair too far for the westbound leg of the route.  The 789 probably could have made ORD, but Air NZ configures it for more Asian routes.

On 4/13/2016 at 1:46 PM, KinkaidAlum said:

And Air New Zealand is doing even better than hoped. NZ will be adding frequency soon. 

Additionally, the A380 is back this summer with Emirates. 

An Emirates A380 flew right over my head when I was driving down Will Clayton a couple of weeks ago. Did they not go back to the triple seven, or am I missing something?

3 hours ago, The Voice of University Oaks said:

An Emirates A380 flew right over my head when I was driving down Will Clayton a couple of weeks ago. Did they not go back to the triple seven, or am I missing something?

Flew on the A380 in December. Didn't see any boeings while there. Maybe it was the timing?

On 4/18/2016 at 5:24 PM, The Voice of University Oaks said:

The A380 will run until June. It switches to a 777 in July.

• 2 weeks later...