Camden Travis: Multifamily At 2700 Travis St.

roadrunner

• 2 weeks later...

So, by the statement below, can we assume that Camden Travis is a joint venture?

"Furthermore, Camden has brought construction starts to a halt. "Many markets entered the recession in late 2006, early 2007," Campo remarked. "We slowed the development pipeline long before many of our peers. We haven't started a wholly owned development since mid-2007, most of the ones after that are through joint ventures." Furthermore, no new construction projects will be launched until market conditions improve, he added."

• 1 month later...
I think it's boring and too short. But at least it's taking up blocks.

The rendering's colors don't match and look unpleasing. However, infill is infill, I'll take what I can get.

Don't we all dream of the day the Red Line gets dense from Midtown to the Museum District?

The rendering's colors don't match and look unpleasing. However, infill is infill, I'll take what I can get.

Don't we all dream of the day the Red Line gets dense from Midtown to the Museum District?

I'm going to hold off my opinion on this since all we've seen is a little thumbnail rendering of it.

• 1 month later...
too bad they're cheaply built.

Ya... pretty lame development IMO. Not sure if "anything IS better than nothing" in this case. Woulda be nice to see a project similar to the Venue development in the Museum District, built in this spot.

It's hot here, and "no one" walks anywhere (except crazy people who like hotness).

In the form that most of Houston is in now it would be to hot and to hard to walk. But if it was more urban, with tree lined streets for shade and other features that will cool you off, it can be walkable. You all give up to easily on what Houston is capable of being.

A few years ago I was riding around Houston, it was hot as hell, but once we got to Sugarland Town Center/Mall it was much cooler. I wondered why and noticed all of the shade from the trees in the area.

There is also this new kind of pavement that is not only easy on your feet, but it absorbs water and does not get hot like regular pavements. So there are things that can be done to reduce heat in areas and make that area walkable.

Look at the Houston Premium Outlets, its an outdoor mall and people still go.

• Like 1

The amusing part is that this complex's rents will probably be the high end of the Midtown apartment market, which is already ridiculously overpriced anyways.

no doubt but the yuppies like em. with the post midtown and the former amli having more water leakage issues, guess not leaking yet will be an amenity

Ya... pretty lame development IMO. Not sure if "anything IS better than nothing" in this case. Woulda be nice to see a project similar to the Venue development in the Museum District, built in this spot.

My hunch is that Camden is saving $$$ for the superblock across the street and that this development is just a stepping stone.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The project's turned out nicely, IMO. I realize there was some consternation over the lack of retail included (or the complete absence of it) but given the retail opportunities near by, I don't think it's a big deal. If anyone would ever develop the superblock, that would be one of the more desired areas of Midtown, especially when you consider the proximity to the McGowen rail stop.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

The project's turned out nicely, IMO. I realize there was some consternation over the lack of retail included (or the complete absence of it) but given the retail opportunities near by, I don't think it's a big deal. If anyone would ever develop the superblock, that would be one of the more desired areas of Midtown, especially when you consider the proximity to the McGowen rail stop.

I could care less about retail right now and am excited to see this thing almost finished. If it gets leased out, my guess is that the retail will follow soon next door, across the street, and at the Mix. Also, remember that Camden owns part of the super block.

BTW, does anyone know if this place has a pool?

Whats up with this funky new architectural style that has weird cornices protruding at ridiculous amounts from the top of the buildings? I started seeing this trend in Austin a while back, then San Antonio, and now its spread to about every American city. Its ugly as all get out but whatever, if it brings more people into downtown than its better than nothing I guess. I did go up on top of these apartments a few months ago after all the contruction workers left and went on top of the roof and it has a badass view of downtown though from up there.

Edited by photolitherland
  • Like 1

all these apartments going up in Midtown makes me nervous...hopefully the area doesn't turn into what Gulton is today 20 years from now.

Well hopefully Midtown's proximity to DT, Museum District, and TMC will save it from becoming a haven for low income apartments like Gulfton.

I like (being sarcastic here) how the power lines end when they reach Camden's property and immediately start up again when the property ends, as seen by the first pic fatesdisastr posted.

• Like 1

Well hopefully Midtown's proximity to DT, Museum District, and TMC will save it from becoming a haven for low income apartments like Gulfton.

Midtown's proximity to downtown, Museum District etc. didn't keep it from being a virtual ghost town for decades. I've thought for a long time that the high concentration of apartments in Midtown puts the area very much at risk for being a future Gulfton.

• Like 2

Midtown's proximity to downtown, Museum District etc. didn't keep it from being a virtual ghost town for decades. I've thought for a long time that the high concentration of apartments in Midtown puts the area very much at risk for being a future Gulfton.

In fact, 30 years ago, Midtown was Gulfton and Gulfton was Midtown. Gulfton was where the young, hip, and trendy professionals lived and partied, just as Midtown is today. The real estate crash of 1986 slayed that beast, and present day Gulfton rose from the carcas. Just as the Boomtown days helped fill Gulfton's apartments, the bubble of the last 10 years built Midtown. The only thing missing (so far) is the real estate crash.

In fact, 30 years ago, Midtown was Gulfton and Gulfton was Midtown. Gulfton was where the young, hip, and trendy professionals lived and partied, just as Midtown is today. The real estate crash of 1986 slayed that beast, and present day Gulfton rose from the carcas. Just as the Boomtown days helped fill Gulfton's apartments, the bubble of the last 10 years built Midtown. The only thing missing (so far) is the real estate crash.

Very true, most of SW was booming and was a place for hip, young professionals. However, I think Midtown is better positioned, in terms of location, in 2009 which well help it maintain some of its desirability.

• Like 1

Yeah, Midtown's proximity to Houston's cultural center (Downtown, Museum District, Medical Center, Montrose, Rice University area, etc) give it a big advantage over Gulfton in my opinion. I rarely go out to the Gulfton area but I see myself spending most of my time in close proximity to Midtown if I stay in Houston long term... unless all of the museums, educational institutions and major companies disappear from the area.

I guess Gulfton has the advantage of being not too far from a huge shopping mall, but I still think Midtown is a better location.