River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

so last night was amazing! we arrived at ROD at 5pm which was early for our 6pm screening of E.T. and parked easily on the first floor and first row in the self park garage. 

security was super nice and asked if we were going to shop or going to iPic and we said the theater so he showed us the way to the back entrance since the front was obstructed by the crane still trying to prepare the front of the building for the signage etc. Upon entry into the building there is the small iPic customer service desk with some attendants that directed us up the not yet working escalators to the second floor. (they are still doing various construction projects on the first and entry part of the second level but beyond that, the theater and bar etc are good to go although they are still working on the lounge extension on the west side of the escalators that will also have an outdoor patio area overlooking the stores of ROD) You are then greeted by a host/hostess at a hostess stand to see if you needed assistance to your theater and we explained we were early...so my friend went to the couches to work on a project while i went to the bar in the http://www.thetuckroom.com/which honestly was impressive...while small, i loved the couches, chairs, booths for dining and enjoying cocktails and just hanging out. the whole vibe was nice but chill and nice ambient lighting helped me settle in just fine at the bar. I was given a menu and was told i could order 1 appetizer and 1 entree complimentary (and 1 non-alcholic beverage) and this menu was different than the theater dine in menu or express menu. I had a meatball and cripsy potato appetizer and then the mushroom pizza and both were great and the staff was super nice and fun and all asked my name and ended up having so much fun i forgot i was there to see a movie! We had the regular premium seating so upon entering the hallway leading to the theaters there is a semi-typical looking service counter to order drinks and food and we were told we could order 1 appetizer and 1 entree but omg i was already full so i passed!) ...upon entering the theater it immediately impressed me with how large and shiny new the screen was and how intimate the theater seemed...the first two rows are the only (regular) premium seating and these are nice but regular row type seating where if you are with a group of friends you can all sit by each other etc...while some may not mind being on the first 2 rows, our seats were middle second row (tons of leg room by the way) and i felt my neck starting to ache just a bit and asked a waiter if we could move to one of the Premium Plus empty pods and he said sure, so we did!....OMG this is the ONLY way to see a movie!!! I loved the pod seating as you could not see anyone behind or next to you at all! and you could barely see anyone in front of you...IF someone had to check their cell phone or talk quietly you would never see or know which is awesome...also the way its designed, no one ever walks in front of you as each pod has its own exit to an aisle so there is never having to un-recline your seat and let someone through etc... wow that was smart designing! the one drawback is my Star Wars dec 17th 1045pm SOLO showing will be pretty intimate with some stranger who has already purchased their ticket apparently since the showing is now sold out haha! i hope that goes well! ...someone suggested the back row for future solo views and it may be best for groups of 3 or non couple groups as it truly is almost like having a private screening for you and your companion in the pods. I am already nervous about what will now feel like a blind date on Dec 17th... haha ;) Oh and btw, as soon as we got into the pod the waiter came up and said can i get you something to drink and eat? We decided to get something afterall and ordered the cheese plate appetizer and wow it was pretty great as was the strawberry lemonade! I wont be eating today, dont worry... 

E.T. was really incredible on the big glorious screen with superb sound...i even got teary eyed when Drew Barrymore cried when E.T. "died" just like i did when i saw it on its release weekend. Loved it. 

after the movie i checked out the restroom per an earlier post suggesting to do so and wow its crazy but cool...there is a communal hand washing bathroom lobby that is beautiful but weird to wash your hands with everyone watching but yeah, wow again.

Upon leaving the theater we went out the front door and 2 iPic employees were handing out free passes for up to 4 people each to see any movie they want friday and sunday! so we are seeing the new (and i heard horrible) Paranormal Activity movie friday at 6pm and Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse sunday at 8pm which looks like an absolute blast! so excited too because we were given the Premium Plus seats for both screenings!!! Cannot wait! (anyone interested, i would swing by the customer service desk there asap and see about your free tickets for Friday or Sunday...or BOTH! these are the last days they say they are doing this and yes you can choose any movie and any seat there at their desk!)

Afterwards we went to the Bonobos party but then happened on the Wilshire party that seemed to also celebrate the Dior Grand Opening in the plaza with drinks, appetizers and live music and man i gotta say, the whole development came alive for me...(beautiful stores, cars and people everywhere etc...) i finally appreciated what this place can and probably will be. It was just a beautiful night in Houston. The best part is, as we walked around looking at stores, we went into http://www.diptyqueparis.com/and ended up talking to the girls in there so long they gave us gift bags with fragrances and candles!!! 

Yes, this a long wordy post...sorry in advance but just wanted to say i finally fell in love with ROD the way i had hoped...after all its walking distance from my home on Mccue and my work on Sage...i cannot wait for the restaurants to open so i can enjoy it even more. 

Edited by gene
  • Like 6

Thanks to all for sharing.  My galpal and I saw Wizard of Oz last night, and I dined at the bar the night before.  Wiz is eternal.  Loved it for the 1002nd time probably.  I'm with swatra on the non-premium.  Altho we were in the premium seats, and it was a very nice experience with a waiter, buzzer to get them, GREAT reclining seat with such soft pillow and blanky, and overall viewing experience, we also checked out the non-premium seats after the film ended.  2nd row is aok, but not the 1st row (stiff neck).  If I want to save $10, not have the amenities of just a few rows above me, want to walk a few blocks vs. driving down to Sundance, and it's not a film I am nuts about experientially, then iPic non-premium works for me.

Note that the last row of premium seats someone referred to, which are in a row of 4 without the 'pods,' are for disabled patrons only.

By last night when we were there, the first floor and bathrooms were cleaned up a lot more than the night before or yesterday during the day (when crews were working).  The entire ROD is continuing in terms of construction to be a work in progress, and not just  the iPic theatre.  ROD and the theatre are very nice as is now, and will be 'perfect' very soon.  The apartments will be delivering units to their tenants beginning around Christmas and into Jan-Feb according to security.   Several more retail stores (including my personal fave, Hermes) will be opening tomorrow or Saturday.   Be there or be square.  :-)    

Also last night, after the movie, we enjoyed a party on the 'common square' in the middle, a gorgeously landscaped with furniture area, given by The Wilshire which is 40%+ sold out according to the developer, whom I've know for over 30 years.  This area is freaking exploding, with The Gables highrise beginning construction next year with ROD Phase II.  Let's hope Monarch's heart holds out given all the exciting times coming on top of what is finished already.

• Like 3

While I was talking to a very nice Oliver McMillan rep in their office and looking at the model he casually said this bottom cube in the lower part of my image above of the model is the site for the new drum roll please!!!! Ritz Carleton.

The other building just to its left is the back of the Target store. Phase two is the tower up on the westheimer end of the development. Hermes was busy as the president of the company cut the ribbon today. A very simple but beautiful space.

The cube to the bottom right? No high rise ?

While I was talking to a very nice Oliver McMillan rep in their office and looking at the model he casually said this bottom cube in the lower part of my image above of the model is the site for the new drum roll please!!!! Ritz Carleton.

The other building just to its left is the back of the Target store. Phase two is the tower up on the westheimer end of the development. Hermes was busy as the president of the company cut the ribbon today. A very simple but beautiful space.

If it's the site adjacent to target then it looks like the same site as the proposed WA that ultimately died - most likely bc ritz overtook it.

• Like 2

Wait wait wait.

1. Isn't the ritz the tall building in ROD phase 2?

The proposed hotel is on a west creek property, and not technically the ROD.

2. Woldorf Astoria was going to build in West Creek??? That would have been / could be so awesome.

Edited by Avossos

Oh cool! well i definitely think there is room for both an Equinox and a Ritz at this development...which gosh i went twice this weekend and it is still such a ghost town for the most part...i cannot wait for the construction to be over on this phase and everything to be up and running...i know it will bring about so much more life...this weekend's rainy weather and lack of business was kind of depressing! 

12190957_910166059065397_215931649037369

^^^ L'OCCITANE, is now open at ROD.  i have purchased many many items from this store from the houston galleria, as well as their mall locations in dubai.  this place rocks!  their roll-on deodorants, bath items, and body creams.... are the bomb! 

• Like 2