Chuck Rosenthal E-mail Controversy

JLWM8609

I usually enjoy watching public figures go down in flames, but this one seems to be all sizzle and no steak. Until I hear that Rosenthal used taxpayer money to shower her with gifts it's just a curiosity, not an outrage, to me.

With Ed on this one.

he seems fairly proper overall when it comes to finances, but now that he was blatantly using city email to write to his other woman, it's going to see what comes out.

It's at that point I'll bring out the popcorn. Right now, he's just humiliated.

I want him to resign because he's a poor DA, who forgets his job is justice, not convictions. The use of taxpayer paid email for social purposes is indicative of his lack of judgement. Remember folks, never use company email for anything you don't want someone else to see!

You know, it's funny. I chuckled at the airing of Rosenthal's dirty laundry, but shrugged as far as it being a big deal. Then, I see this article where the GOP is trying to run him off!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/5412024.html

So, apparently, the Harris County GOP is so scared of getting swept next November that THEY are putting the pressure on ol' Chuck. Have to say, I got a big laugh out of that.

From the Chron article:

"...Rosenthal, exiting the Greenway Plaza meeting about a half-hour before the it ended, said, "I'm going to run for district attorney and I am going to win."

He said he did not know if he will have an opponent in the Republican primary.

"I certainly hope not. I don't think they've got anybody with the qualifications to run against me," Rosenthal added."

Sounds a bit like a veiled threat, no?

Anyone recall what happened to Tom Hill when he went up against Speaker of the House Tom Craddick? After failing to unseat Rep. Craddick, Rep. Hill suddenly felt, after 10 terms in office, "a need to move on." Entrenched Texas politicians aren't known for playing softball.

Rosenthal has a history of vicious, unprincipled prosecutions, and any opponent - especially from within The Party - had best have a rabies vaccine.

You know, it's funny. I chuckled at the airing of Rosenthal's dirty laundry, but shrugged as far as it being a big deal. Then, I see this article where the GOP is trying to run him off!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/5412024.html

So, apparently, the Harris County GOP is so scared of getting swept next November that THEY are putting the pressure on ol' Chuck. Have to say, I got a big laugh out of that.

Insiders in the Republican party (yes, I know a few, and they're very nice people as long as you don't discuss politics) have said that Rosenthal has been in their sites prior to this. His grandstanding that jeopardized cases early in his tenure really annoyed many HCRP leaders. However their facing the prospect of deposing an inumbent was distasteful. I guess they're getting over it (see: race for Harris County Judge).

looks like rosenthal won't be running again.

full story

Harris County District Attorney Chuck Rosenthal has withdrawn his name from the Republican ballot for re-election today amid pressure from his own party following last week's release of intimate emails he wrote to his personal assistant.

Edited by musicman

I have a hard time wondering why Chuch Rosenthal would even want to remain on the ballot after what he did. You would think he would be happy to take himself off, but it was the complete opposite. I don't think he would have gotten that many votes anyway if he remained on the ballot.

Stick a fork in Chuck.........he's done. How sloppy, everyone knows not to use corporate emails to flirt, make plans, WHATEVER! Even if he does put his name back up, I would not consider him worthy of the office any longer. He is more politician now than "do-gooder". I think Red ought to go for his office, he would probably have at least 1,000 votes, just from here, but of course with all his "dirty laundry" who knows ?!?! :huh::P:lol:;)

As much appeal as "top dog" may have, I really do not have the stomach for today's politics. I am not particularly a fan of Rosenthal, but the way the Harris County GOP ran him off is typical of the type of crap that keeps me from seriously considering any political office. Frankly, I am rather offended that the HC GOP finds his love notes so offensive, yet ignored many of the serious criticisms of Rosenthal's office. I may not be impressed with Chuck, but I have even less respect for the HC GOP....if that was even possible.

Hey, I never said I was competent. But, the other stuff I'll cop to.

Are you at least honest? Realistically, I think that's all I could hold out a sliver of hope for in someone willing to take on a political career. The competent ones make too much money in the private sector and from incompetent politicians to be willing to run for a office.

Ch 13 relased more emails today:

To: Stevens, Kerry

Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 2:42pm

Subject: You

Baby when I kiss your hair

I feel electricity in the air

I'm gonna kiss your eyes

Then I'm gonna kiss your neck

Then I'm gonna kiss your tummy

Then I'm gonna kiss your pineapple

Love,

Chuckie

Then I'm gonna kiss your pineapple

Love,

Chuckie

Thats the best part! A line srtaight out of The B-52's song....

"Strobelight"

after Fred Schneider shouts the phrase there a reaL MAJOR higH Organ SCRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHHH!!! COOL

Edited by Vertigo58

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

looks like he resigned

Chuck Rosenthal resigned as district attorney today amid an e-mail scandal that recently forced him to abandon his re-election campaign and a lawsuit filed today that sought his removal from office.

Bill Delmore, chief of the D.A.'s legal services bureau, which oversees the general counsel's office, confirmed that Rosenthal issued a press release in which he says he contacted the Governor's office to tender his resignation.

"Although I have enjoyed excellent medical and pharmacological treatment, I have come to learn that the particular combination of drugs prescribed for me in the past has caused some impairment in my judgment," Rosenthal wrote in his resignation letter.

Rosenthal declined to comment.

full article

Edited by musicman

"Although I have enjoyed excellent medical and pharmacological treatment, I have come to learn that the particular combination of drugs prescribed for me in the past has caused some impairment in my judgment," Rosenthal wrote in his resignation letter.

Oh! So the drugs made him a philadering racist. I heard that's a common side effect. <_<

Edited by Porchman