Baldwin Park At 1701 Elgin St.

midtown_resident

The tIme horizon is 30 years. It's a place she would live in for a while and then rent out until the mortgage is paid. I'm curious why you think the returns would be higher than the west side. Baldwin Park already seems built out. I don't know what else is going to make it much better. The light rail will bring in a constant flow of vagrants. Also, the neighborhoods on the other side of 59 aren't going anywhere soon. Don't get me wrong, the area looks nice. I just wonder how any of the current problems will go away.

As a former resident of the area, I'd be hesitant to buy a town home as an investment property. Not only are many of that area's town homes nearing a cycle of large maintenance expenses (replacing roofs, AC systems, water heaters, appliances, etc.), but I'd also worry about the construction quality in many of these town homes. I'd also consider the fact that many of the owners are first-time home buyers who often have no clue how to repair or maintain things. If it's a 3-story townhouse, some exterior maintenance and repairs may require a professional, unless your girlfriend carries around a 40-ft ladder and is comfortable climbing it.

The biggest problem I have with townhouse complexes is being dependent on adjoining neighbors to maintain or improve their homes. As more owners rent their units out, it becomes more difficult to maintain and upgrade the homes cohesively (exterior cleaning, repainting, re-roofing, etc.). And as Brian mentioned, the HOAs don't collect enough dues to handle large expenses, and getting all the owners on board for these items is a challenge.

In terms of renting the unit out, keep in mind that property taxes and HOA fees could make it difficult to turn a rental profit, unless she has a large down-payment to bring the mortgage + escrow payments + HOA fees + maintenance expense below the rental value of the property. Even in a tight rental market, it's tough to turn a profit on a townhouse (or any house) unless you bought it years ago or buy in a depressed market where home prices are low relative to rental prices. Note that you can't claim a homestead exemption for a rental property you don't live in.

From a livability standpoint, I find the area to be mixed. It is extremely close to the CBD and not too far from the Medical Center, and of course Montrose, the Museum District, and lots of great restaurants. Freeway access is excellent, but it is in the core of freeway congestion. Walkability is good in some respects, but just okay in others, as there are many wide roads in and out of the CBD that one must traverse. The area is very accessible by bicycle, and it's easy to head into downtown or areas like the east end or Buffalo Bayou park from the area.

And in terms of safety, I don't think the area is particularly bad. Yes, there are homeless folks perusing the area on a regular bases, but the ones I met were harmless and even friendly if you acknowledged them. But I know some people are uncomfortable around homeless folks, and I suspect that doesn't help property values. In terms of crime, I did have planter pots stolen from inside the gated area behind my house one time. I also has someone run into my garage to steel some random tools and a cheap bike pump, who then bolted and dropped half his loot when I casually walked out of the door and noticed him. But that's only two petty incidents over a 7 year period that I lived there. I never felt unsafe in the area and don't recall any significant crimes ever occurring among my immediate neighbors. Of course, most of the complexes are fortified with gates and alarm systems.

Do not underestimate the issues that can arise when you share common walls with individuals that have different concepts of proper maintainence. As my particular group of homes aged it became increasingly difficult to get people to open up their pocketbooks. The problem is that you have very young people that really should be living on a no-worry, apartment complex or high-rise, yet because of interest rates and pressure from their parents they buy the entry-level aging townhomes in Midtown. The first shock comes when it dawns on them how much th escrowed taxes and insurance adds to their payment, the 2nd shocker is homeowner fees and periodic assessments. Because of this the properties suffer because there is no motivation to do more than the bare minimum.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to comment on an old thread.

I've had a "tin shack" near Baldwin Park for five years. The only issue with crime is people stealing my UPS/Fedex packages, and people going through my garbage looking for cans.

I don't know about appreciation, but inventory is tight and prices are up significantly from when I bought. If you get a townhouse, I'd recommend a block of 3 or fewer units, not one of the 6+ unit blocks. I've replaced my AC, and might update my appliances, but those are normal aspects of owning a home, not anything particular to a townhouse. Fortunately, metal roofs tend to be durable, and also no need to repaint the metal siding.

Transportation connections are excellent. Easy to walk, bike, or get on the freeway. Exceptionally quick to Montrose, Downtown, TMC, East End, etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've owned a condo directly across from Baldwin Park for almost eight years (an older landmark property that was gutted and renovated in 1999). We're definitely in the middle of a city, so there have been occasional incidents of property theft. There are also some homeless people and other non-residents who go to the park or transit through the area. All that being said, my wife and I enjoyed the park almost daily, traveled on foot and by bike regularly, and walked our dog in the immediate neighborhood at all hours of the day and night. I never felt threatened, though of course we exercised common sense vigilance. 

The park itself is well maintained and heavily used by residents, families with kids, dog walkers and others. The neighborhood has noticeably filled out and improved since I moved in, with a generally better grade of construction quality in more recent years (if still a bit cookie cutter in appearance). Dining and entertainment options are a little bit more of a walk, but a short bike or car ride away.

We recently moved out of the area for reasons unrelated to the neighborhood, but we loved our time there. We still own the condo and will likely move back in when our situation brings us back to Houston.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Active neighbors that follow-up observed criminal activity with calls to the police are what has kept the park a reasonably safe area. The homeless, pan-handlers, drug-dealers, and other undesired elements will hangout there, the neighborhood just needs to decide what level of "tolerance" or "co-existence" they wish to have about them.

Thanks. I was close to putting in an offer on one of the Perry homes this week that's near the park but backed away due to roof issues that came up in the disclosures. I really wish there was something free-standing and affordable around there so I could be responsible for my own walls and roof.

There's still a huge empty lot on the west side of Baldwin Park. I'm shocked they haven't dropped some town homes in yet.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I posted this on another thread, but I think it may belong here since alot of the posts above are from some years ago (apologies, new to this posting thing).  Link below is a month or so old, but that restaurant/bakery/bar (and the team behind it), the MetDance Studio in same location, together with coming Superblock (and all development it will likely spur), Midtown Arts Theater, and Caroline street reconstruction, and recent makeovers of Baldwin and Grover Parks, would hopefully mean positive things going forward now in next few years in Midtown in that neighborhood immediately to the east of Main  (north of Elgin, south of McGowen or so)...To  subject matter of this thread, it would seem alot of these concerns mentioned above will likely go away.  Agree? Disagree?

http://houston.cultu...a-neighborhood/

(and also as has been mentioned here, only mins driving from downtown, med ctr, museums ....and walkable to all of those things I first listed above …)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but is this area nice?  I've driven through it and walk around some during the day, but that's no substitute for the knowledge of people living there.  Any current or recent residents? 

Sorry to revive an old thread, but is this area nice? I've driven through it and walk around some during the day, but that's no substitute for the knowledge of people living there. Any current or recent residents?

I posted above (former resident moved out in 2012) but still drive through there and hear from neighbors occasionally. I think it's gotten a little overpriced considering you can spend another 35k and get similar places in NW side of Midtown (or just in 4th ward) closer to restaurants. Good area, but night time gets different and you'll get occasional creepy dudes walking around so depends on your comfort level. Just go down there a couple nights after 8pm and see how you feel and if you are good with it.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Baldwin Park In Midtown
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, excited for this. Baldwin is cool, we used to bring our kid here but she kinda would finish playing quickly cuz the lack of varied playground equipment. Hopefully people will like this update.

Someone said this in another thread, but this is the type of stuff that creates neighborhoods. The kind of layering/improvements of formerly larger empty spaces.

• 2 weeks later...

An aside: Midtown Redevelopment Authority repeatedly refers to this property as Baldwin Park. 
My understanding is that it's officially known as Elizabeth Baldwin Park, and that it should be referred to as such, both to recognize the original honoree and so that people won't expect to find it on Baldwin Street.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Feast Of Joy Being Held At Baldwin Park In Midtown