sttombiz

Old Sid Richardson College is gone. I talked with an Anslow Bryant worker who said they are going to keep the foundation till they start building, said they don't want to create a huge water filled pond. They will remove it when they are ready to start. He confirmed Henning Larsen is the architect, it will be two similar but slightly different 12 story buildings with the servery in the middle. They were in the process of removing the plywood covering the windows of the new Sid Richardson.

Y7OHekz.jpg

pO2h5oU.jpg

5g8mx9e.jpg

1W3ufgN.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/11/2023 at 1:39 PM, hindesky said:

Academic Quad Redesign.

xifrDB3.jpg

Not a huge fan of the plans.  At least in the renders, I'm getting the impression that the new quad and the architecture of the surrounding buildings are somewhat at war with one another.  Very much in keeping with a lot of contemporary public space designs with their emphasis on curves and asymmetry, but I'm (1) not entirely convinced by the trend in general, and (2) I dont think it fits very well with the formal, linear, and symmetrical design of the buildings composing the quad.

All for a refresh, but I think a plan more in line (pardon the pun) with the gardens of the new Ismaili Center would have better complemented this space.

Edited by KirbyDriveKid
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2023 at 12:39 PM, hindesky said:

I truly cannot put into words how much I despise this plan for the quad. It looks like the Woodlands Church

Can't we just replace the statue and move on? That curved path is offensive

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrFubbles said:

I truly cannot put into words how much I despise this plan for the quad. It looks like the Woodlands Church

Can't we just replace the statue and move on? That curved path is offensive

Not a fan either. I guess I'll continue to not give money to Rice and give it schools with a smaller endowment and who do more to help the less advantaged students. 

This quad redesign is truly awful. I hate it! Fubbles, I completely agree. The landscape in isolation is perfectly fine, but it runs counter to the style of the buildings on the rest of the campus. Actual architects, not just landscape architects, should have been consulted for this redesign. The quad needs straight lines and consistent plants not whatever this is. The previous landscaping was sad, but this was an opportunity to do something awesome and make the quad a centerpiece for the school. Now it not only doesn't do that but ruins the classical consistency that the school had. The landscaping that matches the school's buildings is formal gardens like those found outside of Italian villas with geometric and symmetrical hedges along with water features.

At least it can be changed more easily than a building can. 

• Like 6

Wow not only is this plan an insult to the academic prowess and reputation of the university, it is a lazy excuse of modernization!

what would have been great is if Rice didn’t hire a NY firm to do the landscaping, but hire something super local and aware of the prestige associated with RU.

does rice have a bunch of money they are wasting? What is honestly wrong with the timeless formality of what they have in the MAIN QUAD! Is it not a testament to the great design of 1920 that many of us in the business of design prefer the original!?

God this is awful. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lot of memories in that Quad. That's where I taught my son to ride a bike, back in the Paleolithic era (circa mid 90s). Weekends, in the summer, it was empty. All those sidewalks were a perfect training ground for racing around. I look forward to seeing the finished Quad!

There was also an abandoned stadium in the corner near the Med Center (or it seemed empty). It had a long ramp from the ground up to the seating area. We'd pump like crazy to get to the top, and then race down the ramp at breakneck speeds.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, astrohip said:

There was also an abandoned stadium in the corner near the Med Center (or it seemed empty). It had a long ramp from the ground up to the seating area. We'd pump like crazy to get to the top, and then race down the ramp at breakneck speeds.

That sounds like the original Rice Stadium, built in 1938.

The 1937 Campus Map and the “New” Rice Stadium

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 11:45 AM, astrohip said:

Lot of memories in that Quad. That's where I taught my son to ride a bike, back in the Paleolithic era (circa mid 90s). Weekends, in the summer, it was empty. All those sidewalks were a perfect training ground for racing around. I look forward to seeing the finished Quad!

That is now the Track and Field stadium. 

• Like 1

Oh man. That was one of my favorite spots to bring my dog. Plus there was a pretty well hidden disc golf course running through there. Sure wish they'd start eating up some of the surface parking with development and garages rather than chewing up green and open space. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 12:11 AM, LosFeliz said:

Oh man. That was one of my favorite spots to bring my dog. Plus there was a pretty well hidden disc golf course running through there. Sure wish they'd start eating up some of the surface parking with development and garages rather than chewing up green and open space. 

That's what they've been doing.  There's about half as much surface parking as there was 15 years ago, thanks to replacing surface parking lots with new buildings and a garage and other development.  The George R. Brown Tennis Center, the Anderson-Clarke Center, the Brockman Hall for Opera, the Allen Center Garage, the football practice dome, and several residential college buildings are now on what used to be surface parking lots.

• Like 3

The temperature was hovering around the low 50s Tuesday morning when President Reggie DesRoches and Athletic Director Tommy McClelland jumped into Rice’s outdoor competition swimming pool alongside the entire swim team. McClelland and DesRoches, dressed in their Rice pullovers and khakis, hopped into the water to celebrate their announcement that the swim program would add a dive team in the coming season.

“I thought our coach was joking after the announcement when he said President DesRoches and Mr. McClelland should jump in with us,” junior Morgan Bartley said. “When they actually jumped in with us, I was so shocked. I have no idea if they knew they would be asked to do that but they’re great team sports for doing so, especially in a full outfit.”

https://www.ricethresher.org/article/2024/01/rice-reintroduces-diving-team-after-more-than-30-years