sttombiz

• The title was changed to Rice Stadium End Zone Replacement
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Rice University Housing’s latest venture took 18 months to build, set back half a year by supply chain shortages, storms and a trucking protest in Canada. Students in the Hanszen residential college had temporarily lived in a nearby out-of-commission dormitory, making the new wing highly anticipated."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/rice-university-dorm-mass-timber-construction-17725848.php#photo-23382645

IQ7C4HF.jpg

vFkrz3t.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Progress photos of the Ralph S. O'Conner Building For Engineering & Science at Rice University.

These were posted last month by B&D Land Contractors.

The caption from the Instagram post:

"The Ralph S. O'Conner Building For Engineering And Science is now underway at Rice University, slated for completion in the summer of 2023.

Our team is handling hardscape and landscape projects on site."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoqBvdUpWE2/

s5bUU62.jpg

eyP7kWc.jpg

1QGTOgg.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 7

Ralph S. O'Connor Science building. It too has the sawtooth oriented bricks on the lower level of the northwest corner of the building..

p97bDNF.jpg

HmPTxs8.jpg

5HfRAB9.jpg

This is a brand new structure in the lowlands area. Wild guess, but I wonder if the Williams Marsh Rice statue will be placed on top here? Anyone with inside info? Could also be a viewing area for wild life since I saw a couple with cameras and binoculars in the marsh.

IStOtxn.jpg

WouvMRC.jpg

tFVCgbE.jpg

Cannady Hall.

bNRkBqk.jpg

21Dr3us.jpg

50Zmk0J.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

This is a brand new structure in the lowlands area. Wild guess, but I wonder if the Williams Marsh Rice statue will be placed on top here? 

Unlikely. They have stated that they plan to keep the statue within the Academic Quadrangle but relocate it to a position of less prominence than it currently occupies. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 3:46 PM, Powermac said:

Been lurking on HAIF for years, but decided to finally get my first post in after viewing this thread...

The Rice campus has really become, and is becoming a jewel for this city. Just a beautiful campus with great architecture.

I preferred the Rice Campus as it was around 1980. But, I'm just a grump old man. The new buildings are very nice, but I dislike the loss of open space. I also disliked how Leebron remade the school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rice University will open two new residential colleges and a dining hall to accommodate a growing student body, institution leaders said announced.

The additions will bring the number of residential colleges to 13, expanding on a system that is considered a hallmark of the Rice undergraduate experience. University officials expect construction will be completed on the colleges and the new “servery” dining facility by fall 2026.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/rice-university-s-growth-prompts-new-residential-18115091.php

• Like 3

https://www.ricethresher.org/article/2023/05/old-sid-to-be-demolished-2-new-residential-colleges-expected-by-fall-2026

If they tear down the old Sid high rise, I could see how Rice might fit in 2 more residential colleges around the "John and Ann Grove".  With off-campus rental prices becoming increasingly affordable, it makes sense that on campus housing will be a priority in the coming decades.

image.png.0b252734a1b66ec92f0b4c76ee958f48.png

• Like 4