sttombiz

6 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Looks like from his announcement, there will be a number of important new buildings on campus in the very near future. 

"To support our research and academic endeavors, we will begin construction of a major new science and engineering building, a new home for visual and dramatic arts, and an expansion of our architecture facilities."

Also a new Student Center is in the works.

• Like 3

I think Lebron was a great president but not when it comes to architecture. Most of the buildings built under his watch are moo/uninspiring. The only traditional style building we got was the new opera hall, and even there, it seems like a lot was left on the table. The new engineering building is almost (though not completely) a throwback to the cold war. Hopefully, an administration change will bring about a new trend in campus architecture for the better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I think Lebron was a great president but not when it comes to architecture. Most of the buildings built under his watch are moo/uninspiring. The only traditional style building we got was the new opera hall, and even there, it seems like a lot was left on the table. The new engineering building is almost (though not completely) a throwback to the cold war. Hopefully, an administration change will bring about a new trend in campus architecture for the better.

Have you seen renderings of the engineering building? They don't seem to stray from their style.

• The title was changed to Rice Stadium $30mm End Zone Replacement
3 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Have you seen renderings of the engineering building? They don't seem to stray from their style.

I have. If that's viewed as part of the "campus style," then I guess therein lies the problem. For instance, how hard would it be to just replicate the building next too it, which is built in what the campus style should be, aka, byzantine revival and not brutalist revival. The new engineering building also completely breaks up the continuity of the facade/palisade wrapping around the quad. 

• Sad 1

• The title was changed to Bike Ride Through Rice University

Coolest find of the day on my ride was finding construction fencing around Hanszen College. Cherry Demolition was creating a heavy equipment driveway. Talked with a worker and he said they were going to demo it. I believe Hanszen is one of the oldest colleges in Rice. He also said Forney Construction got the bid to build the mass timber building. One wing will be 5 stories and the other 4.

https://www.forneyconstruction.com

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/09/04/rice-university-plans-first-mass-timber-project.html

https://www.knippershelbig.com/en/projects/hanszen-residential-college

RjPihqf.png

jczehtj.jpg

whtFz0l.jpg

YFzQqmr.jpgAvNoAJ5.jpg

oin2RVj.png

pfiZJIJ.png

gJeRfzY.png

Edited by hindesky
a instead e.
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Coolest find of the day on my ride was finding construction fencing around Hanszen College. Cherry Demolition was creating a heavy equipment driveway. Talked with a worker and he said they were going to demo it. I believe Henszen is one of the oldest colleges in Rice.

Hanszen was one of the original colleges when the college system was implemented at Rice in 1957. The building being demoed is the "New Wing" of Hanszen, which was also built in 1957. There is also an "Old Wing", which was built in 1916 and was previously known as West Hall prior to the advent of the college system. 

Residents have long complained about the deterioration of the facilities in the New Wing, so this has been a long time coming. Still, it always makes me a little sad whenever another of the Rice Institute-era buildings that sprung up during the postwar building boom meets the wrecking ball.

Tangentially related: Harry Hanszen lived in a John Staub-designed mansion in River Oaks on Lazy Lane that subsequently became much better known as the longtime home of John Mecom, Jr., until it too met the wrecking ball in 2017:

Storied Texas Mansion Completely Demolished 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

Hanszen was one of the original colleges when the college system was implemented at Rice in 1957. The building being demoed is the "New Wing" of Hanszen, which was also built in 1957. There is also an "Old Wing", which was built in 1916 and was previously known as West Hall prior to the advent of the college system. 

Residents have long complained about the deterioration of the facilities in the New Wing, so this has been a long time coming. Still, it always makes me a little sad whenever another of the Rice Institute-era buildings that sprung up during the postwar building boom meets the wrecking ball.

Tangentially related: Harry Hanszen lived in a John Staub-designed mansion in River Oaks on Lazy Lane that subsequently became much better known as the longtime home of John Mecom, Jr., until it too met the wrecking ball in 2017:

Fun story but his brother also tore down a history mansion in river oaks. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I won't miss new hanszen. It's just another fugly post-war building to bite the dust. It's amazing to me how we're tearing down building from 1957, but not 1916. The post-war era truly was a dark age for architecture. 

New, new hanszen isn't a gorgeous building but it's definitely easier to look at. The sallyport is a cool feature but I can't tell where it goes. It shows up in one of the renderings but not the 3d model. 

Someone please call me when they decide to tear down fondren.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

Fun story but his brother also tore down a history mansion in river oaks. 

Yep. Dogwoods, the former estate of Ima Hogg's brother. It's mentioned in the article I linked to.

The Arnold family may have a decent track record in philanthropy, but they're clearly unimpressed with John Staub's architecture.

Edited by mkultra25
  • Like 1

https://facilities.rice.edu/new-hanszen-college-wing

New Hanszen College Wing

Hanszen College was established in 1957. Its 244 beds are distributed in two college wings. The “old dorm” wing, which was built in the 1920s, accommodates 124 beds. The “new wing” was built in 1957 and accommodates 120 beds. The new wing is configured in an L-shaped plan with a partial basement, plus two residential stories and a five-story residential “tower” at the L’s knuckle. Most of the student rooms are four-person suites with a shared bathroom between pairs of suites. Each suite pair also shares an inaccessible exterior stair and entrance vestibule. The Hanszen magister house is located at the south end of one leg of the new wing in an area the students refer to as the “burbs” due to its remoteness relative to the majority of the college’s student rooms and the Hanszen Commons and Quadrangle. The Hanszen Quadrangle is framed by Hanszen's old wing and one leg of the new wing on its north and south sides, respectively, while Hanszen Commons, an early 2000s facility, creates the west side. Hanszen Quadrangle enjoys immediate proximity to the John and Anne Grove on its east side.

The institutional goals for the Hanszen College Replacement Wing Project include:

1. A contemporary, accessible residential facility resulting in a total bed-count increase for Hanszen College
  2. A greater concentration of Hanszen residential units near the Hanszen Quadrangle and Commons
  3. A residential facility that utilizes campus land more efficiently than Hanszen’s 1957 wing
  4. The liberation of campus land, possibly for a new residential college in the future
  5. A project achieving LEED Silver status and other energy efficiency objectives yet to be specified

The new Hanszen College replacement wing will be approximately 50,000 gross square feet total, 4.5 stories, 164 beds in room configurations of singles and doubles, and two Residential Advisors Suites, each composed of living space, kitchen, two-bedrooms, and two bathrooms. The new wing will be built using cross-laminated timber (CLT), making it the first residential college to be built on a university campus in Texas. Demolition of the existing 1957 wing will begin in late May 2021.

Construction will continue through July 2022.

• Like 1

Wow they really knocked it out of the ballpark with this. The facade is really pretty and the amount of common space is astounding considering that the current building has 0 common areas. This will be a badly-needed upgrade for hanszen, which is typically considered the college with the least amount of identity. 

After this gets built, Hanzsen and sid will have the nicest facilities. Lovett is officially at the bottom of the pile.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 12:56 AM, Valhalla said:

Wow they really knocked it out of the ballpark with this. The facade is really pretty and the amount of common space is astounding considering that the current building has 0 common areas. This will be a badly-needed upgrade for hanszen, which is typically considered the college with the least amount of identity. 

After this gets built, Hanzsen and sid will have the nicest facilities. Lovett is officially at the bottom of the pile.

Hasn't Lovett always been at the bottom of the pile in all respects? Bwahahaha

Lovett is certainly the least attractive of the colleges, especially after old Wiess was demoed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ross said:

Hasn't Lovett always been at the bottom of the pile in all respects? Bwahahaha

Thus the intensity with which the old Lovett cheer "we are the best college, all the others suck/Edgar Odell Lovett..." was typically shouted. 

• Like 1

Cherry is digging down a few feet at the Abercrombie science building. Was told this was getting 2 tower cranes. Anslow Bryant is on site and core drilling is being done. The Cherry supervisor guessed who I was and he said he uses HAIF frequently to get a heads up on future projects.

Nif3aTm.jpg

FBC7eDc.jpg

Cherry is almost done taking down the old Hanszen college building.

Zjus8z8.jpg

Future mock ups for Hanszen.

0umPu97.jpg

• Like 3

Cool find of the day is that the Rice Media Center is going to be demolished soon. Construction fencing is going up. Didn't find any signs around but I assume Cherry will demolish the old building. Google searched for a rendering but haven't found one yet. But I did find out who the architecture firm will be, Diller Scofidio+Renfro. Looking at the site doesn't find the design but this firm has done some nice things. The Highline in NY is one.

https://dsrny.com

https://www.ricethresher.org/article/2021/04/rice-media-center-confirmed-to-be-torn-down-by-end-of-2021-film-and-photography-professors-reflect-on-goodbyes-transitions-and-expectations

b2ZmvJR.jpg

x5DWSTL.jpg

Not much left of the old Hanszen College.

YYpfB7w.jpg

kX2VYSn.jpg

Little bit of dirt left at Abercrombie, crawler crane for pile driving on site. Most of the workers on site are now from Anslow Bryant.

UhVoLkY.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hindesky said:

Cool find of the day is that the Rice Media Center is going to be demolished soon. Construction fencing is going up. Didn't find any signs around but I assume Cherry will demolish the old building. Google searched for a rendering but haven't found one yet. But I did find out who the architecture firm will be, Diller Scofidio+Renfro. Looking at the site doesn't find the design but this firm has done some nice things. The Highline in NY is one.

https://dsrny.com

https://www.ricethresher.org/article/2021/04/rice-media-center-confirmed-to-be-torn-down-by-end-of-2021-film-and-photography-professors-reflect-on-goodbyes-transitions-and-expectations

According to that article, design won't even start until next month (with construction completion still 3 years away), so I wouldn't expect renderings for some time.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2021 at 12:06 PM, hindesky said:

Cool find of the day is that the Rice Media Center is going to be demolished soon.

They held the final film screening there several weeks ago (Eagle Pennell's LAST NIGHT AT THE ALAMO, quite an appropriate choice under the circumstances), followed by an open house the following afternoon for anyone who wanted to pay a visit one last time before the process of prepping the building for demolition began. 

Inside the projection booth, former students, regulars, and other cinephiles had inscribed their memories on the walls.

IMG_6781.jpg

• Like 4