sttombiz

• The title was changed to Developments on the Rice University Campus
1 hour ago, rechlin said:

I know the opera hall is getting a lot of hate on here, but I think it fits the architecture of the rest of the campus perfectly.  Can't wait to see all the landscaping finished.

They could have at least designed better cupolas, and put them on both sides. The ones on there right now are pretty weak.

Now the front of this, looks really good, though I've been meaning to chat with our classical detailing design expert, at my work, for his opinion of this, and if they did the detailing right.

Edited by Luminare

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Rice University Campus Developments
On 4/11/2020 at 4:39 PM, hindesky said:

The road on the west side of the new Music Hall is finally open. Football field is being built in the west side parking lot.

NWfp7ri.jpg

9SFtHcv.jpg

They're putting up a bubble dome over that field eventually.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

for a school that spends so much money on their buildings, it blows my mind that they would go with the cheapest / ugliest possible building.  Is this thing supposed to be temporary?

^^^ it's an indoor AIR INFUSED BUBBLE.  definitely temporary...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A quite significant campus development that hasn't been mentioned here yet: there appears to be a groundswell of support among the student body to remove the statue of William Marsh Rice that has occupied a central position in the quad for 90 years, due to his history as a slave owner:

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/rice-asked-to-remove-statue-of-slave-owner-namesake-11479143

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

A quite significant campus development that hasn't been mentioned here yet: there appears to be a groundswell of support among the student body to remove the statue of William Marsh Rice that has occupied a central position in the quad for 90 years, due to his history as a slave owner:

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/rice-asked-to-remove-statue-of-slave-owner-namesake-11479143

If it's attached to slavery in any way, it seems like it's only a matter of time. I wouldn't be surprised if they start a discussion to rename the college as well.

This is part of a really hot-button topic... so I'm going to try my best not to stick my foot in my mouth...

Maybe the statue should be removed from its prominent position and placed somewhere low key where William Marsh Rice is simply acknowledged rather than celebrated. To me, removing the statue all together seems like another way to continue ignoring the past, albeit a different way than just leaving a racist slave owner's figure looming in a central position of the quad. If the statue is erased completely, where does it end? Is the Rice family and their name still burdened with the sins of the father? Rice University is now a brand... Should the University be renamed, which would probably result in a very detrimental identity crisis? Sam Houston owned slaves... Should we rename our city because it's named after him?

I would like to think that the Rice University name and the city of Houston name at this point so many years, students, citizens, accomplishments, and failures after their founding have come to symbolize and stand for more than just the person they were named after.

If the statue could be placed somewhere else as part of an exhibit for Rice University's history, of which Mr. Rice's life is an inextricable part (including the terrible things he did), that could be more educational and cathartic in the long run. It might be a way of acknowledging the past while going on to explain that the university does not condone racism nor discrimination of any kind and that the school supports people in all walks of life.

Edited by J.A.
  • Like 2

The circumstances surrounding Rice's statue are a bit different than other statues around the country which have been removed or relocated. It is technically a gravesite as Rice's ashes are interred in the base of the statue. IIRC, the Board of Trustees would have to approve the statue's removal, and despite student assertions to the contrary, the wishes of alumni will absolutely be taken into account before any such action is undertaken. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't see a strong consensus in favor of removal emerging among alumni. 

• Like 3

Came across these 2 fenced off areas near the intersection of Alumni Dr and Collage Way. This western one is by the south servery and the smaller by Hansen College. Sign says "Rice Tent Structures", @monarch is going to love this :D.

P3EaTeT.jpg

YxpvqV6.jpg

HemyTNH.jpg

whcI1oC.jpg

jJ517SM.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 7