Cottage Grove Information & Developments

N8TIV

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to having you.

Mmm....I can still smell the cabbage. The older crowd here on the boards should know exactly what I'm talking about. Cottage Grove has went through some drastic changes over the years. Once inhabited by working class German immigrants, over the years Cottage Grove became a haven for riff-raff and drugs. It's worst point that I can remember would be during the 80's. Constant gang wars between Cottage Grove and West End typically ended with someone's life being lost. After re-development began in the mid 90's all of this changed. Going through Cottage Grove for the first time in several years last week really opened my eyes as to just HOW much The Grove and West End have both changed, and all of it for the better. You can't ask for better access to the Galleria, The Heights, or Downtown. A simple ride down Larkin quickly puts you on I-10 and away you go. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have certainly bought property in The Grove back 20 years ago or so.

I won't leave the younger crowd out in the cold. The old nickname for Cottage Grove was "The Cabbage Patch" because you could pass through and smell the cabbage the German immigrants were cooking throughout the neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful if you buy an Intown Home. They have a $5000 'non-refundible' deposit written into the contract. A new client of mine got stuck for $5000 after she backed out because she couldn't get a full inspection done. Just a word of warning!

Always read the ENTIRE contract and no matter what they tell you, it is 100% negotiable. 100%. If they say 'everyone signs x, don't worry about it,' but x sounds bad to you, cross it out. If they so no, walk out.

Has anyone else noticed at least 2 new billboards being erected along North Durham between 11th and 26th Street this week? As if this street wasn't full of enough visual pollution already. This must be part of the agreement that was made some time ago to remove and "relocate" some of the city billboards.

Has anyone else noticed at least 2 new billboards being erected along North Durham between 11th and 26th Street this week? As if this street wasn't full of enough visual pollution already. This must be part of the agreement that was made some time ago to remove and "relocate" some of the city billboards.

Who is the council member for that part of town? Can he/she do anything about it?

Until someone buys up empty or unused lots and redevelops this I expect this will only happen more. Oh well. Maybe they'll put some cool pictures up at least, doesn't affect how I sleep (and I live a couple blocks from Durham). Also, my son is due to be born next month, and if he's going to be a teenage hoodlum like his pop he's going to need billboards to climb up and make trouble on. I prefer there be options close to home.

bill white should be able to address your concerns.

bill white should be able to address your concerns.

It is odd in the context of an agreement with the billboard industry to remove their wares from neighborhoods and expand their market on thoroughfares. So, is Durham a thoroughfare or a road through a neighborhood?

It is odd in the context of an agreement with the billboard industry to remove their wares from neighborhoods and expand their market on thoroughfares. So, is Durham a thoroughfare or a road through a neighborhood?

yes it is both. my friend owns one at i10 near tcjester i think she makes 2000/month.

Without ANY research - I thought Houston passed some law giving billboards a finite life, and from the point of the ordinance on no new billboards, and whena billboard reaches its finite life, it comes down?

Also, my wife is in media sales. She says industry studies show billboards are actually a waste of advertising money.

• 1 year later...

There are a ton of permits bought by MAZZ-7, LLC for the south side of W 25th - I couldn't find any yet for the north side.

They were all "NEW S.F. RESIDENCE W/ATTACHED GARAGE"

That entity (MAZZ-7, LLC) shares an address with Mazzarino Construction. They have done a bunch of townhome/patio home construction in Shady Acres. No details on the Sunset Heights development on their website (assuming that they are behind MAZZ-7).

http://www.mazzarinocon-dev.com/

I can't imagine that it would be a Costco surrounded by mostly residential and not on the freeway.

That was an inside Haif joke... just wanted to see if s3mh's head exploded.

But in all seriousness.. I've really heard it's going to be a Sam's Club Express, first of it's kind.

That entity (MAZZ-7, LLC) shares an address with Mazzarino Construction. They have done a bunch of townhome/patio home construction in Shady Acres. No details on the Sunset Heights development on their website (assuming that they are behind MAZZ-7).

http://www.mazzarinocon-dev.com/

Yeah, it looks like they're all part of the same deal (MAZZ-1 - MAZZ-11, too!)

Archived