Project Row Houses

He has another partner in Mr. Coleman, the state representative. Mr. Coleman is on the board of the Midtown Development Authority, which has been spending millions of dollars buying property to maintain low-density, affordable rental housing.

Anyway, how has Coleman siphoned funds from the Midtown TIRZ?

He's on the board of the Midtown TIRZ and, instead of spending the TIRZ funds to improve Midtown, is using those funds to buy lots of land in 3rd Ward. Here's a prior HAIF discussion.

HCAD indicates that the TIRZ's land buying entity, Midtown Redevelopment Authority, has bought many vacant parcels of land in 3rd Ward. I've not gone through the entire list, but didn't see one rental. Is this land speculation and, if so, are they planning on flipping these parcels at some point and, if so, where will the profits go? Since he is saying that they want to keep low income, low density housing in 3rd Ward, then I'm guessing that they'll either buy rent houses or apartments with those profits, and become landlords, or build affordable housing with tax breaks or subsidies. Either way, Midtown wouldn't be the beneficiary.

According to their website, The Midtown TIRZ is authorized to provide, among other things, capital for public works and public improvements within its boundaries. The map on the website shows the TIRZ boundaries to end at 288/59.

Isnt Midtown a part of Third Ward?

The Project Row House does a lot of good for the area. They have workers there that actually are on a friendly basis with some of the older residents in the area and an after school program for kids from single parent homes where the parents work until 5pm or so. The programs assist the kids with home work and provide a welcoming environment until thier parents are able to pick them up. I went to one of thier functions there and i have to say, i was impressed. ;););)

Isnt Midtown a part of Third Ward?

The Project Row House does a lot of good for the area. They have workers there that actually are on a friendly basis with some of the older residents in the area and an after school program for kids from single parent homes where the parents work until 5pm or so. The programs assist the kids with home work and provide a welcoming environment until thier parents are able to pick them up. I went to one of thier functions there and i have to say, i was impressed. ;););)

Nowadays it's the land east of 288, south of Downtown, north of the Brays Bayou, and west of TX-Spur 5/Railroad Tracks.

Midtown is all west of 288.

Historically, the Third Ward used to include the sections near the Museum District, Hermann Park, and the eastern sections of Midtown. Many will forget that 288 ripped that neighborhood apart just as the Pierce Elevated did to the 4th Ward.

Project Row Houses is truly one of the greatest things about Houston. If you want to see vision in action, GO CHECK IT OUT IN PERSON. It is amazing.

• Like 1

Project Row Houses is truly one of the greatest things about Houston. If you want to see vision in action, GO CHECK IT OUT IN PERSON. It is amazing.

I have and i agree.

The artistic talents of some of the students there caught my eye as well a few months ago. Most impressed with the program. It is also my understanding that university kids volunteered to build some of those structures that are there. I think that is way cool B)

Im very close to giving them money, and for me to say that, its a big thing. I dont donate money easily, thats just how impressed i am with what they are doing and trying to do.

• 7 years later...

From Houston tomorrow enewsletter

Project Row Houses founder Rick Lowe awarded Genius Grant

$625,000 to support his work

Kevin McNally, Sep 18, 14.

Rick Lowe - artist, activist, and founder of Project Row Houses - has been honored as a recipient of The MacArthur Fellowship (often referred to as the ā€œMacArthur Genius Grantā€), which provides him with an unrestricted stipend of $625,000 paid over five years to further support his creative work in the arts and social activism fields. Lowe - who was also one of last yearā€™s Houston Tomorrow Catalyst Awards recipients - is one of 21 fellows bestowed with the annual honor. More from CultureMap Houston:

The prize is awarded annually by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation to residents of the United States who ā€œshow exceptional merit and promise for continued and enhanced creative work.ā€

ā€œAll of us at Project Row Houses are so proud and excited that Rick has received this prestigious recognition from the MacArthur Foundation,ā€ Project Row Houses exectutive director Linda Shearer said in a statement. ā€œIt will enable him to continue to perform his work in local communities.

ā€œProject Row Houses is now 20 years old and poised to embark on new initiatives into the future. We know he will continue to be a vibrant catalyst in transforming community through the power of art and look forward to his next steps.ā€

ā€œLowe continues to provide the guiding vision for PRH as he pursues his overarching goal of animating the assets of a place and the creativity of its people,ā€ the MacArthur Fellows Program website notes. ā€œHe is not only bringing visibility and pride to the Third Ward by celebrating the beauty of its iconic shotgun houses; he is also changing the lives of many PRH program graduates and expanding the PRH campus to cover a six-block area in an effort to preserve the historic districtā€™s character in the face of encroaching gentrification.ā€

• 6 years later...
On 7/31/2021 at 7:16 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Eldorado Ballroom Renovation & Addition at 2310 Elgin Street.

dN3j8Yh.png

Ā 

AWESOME!!!!!Ā This is a massive historical save for this city and a true tourist attraction. Once Emancipation is rebuilt, 3rd Ward could become Houston's Harlem. The investment in 3rd Ward the past few years has been remarkable and well past due.Ā 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The architects have spent considerable time researching the original Leonard Gabert design in order to restore it correctly.Ā  And the new addition on the south side will be very sympathetic to the original design.Ā  All good.

• Like 9

I know there has been some hand ringing about gentrification in this area, and I have done quite a bit myself, but its projects like this that make me feel like the right spaces are being cultivated in Third Ward.Ā 

Love that this is being restored, thank you all for this update.Ā 

• Like 3

I notice that the building behind the Eldorado Ballroom (3212 Emancipation Ave) looks like it was built from reclaimed materials, including glass blocks commonly found in buildings from the 1930's.Ā 
I wonder if they were originally from the Eldorado Ballroom, and salvaged when the size of its windows was reduced.Ā 

• 3 months later...

Historic Eldorado Ballroom in Houstonā€™s Third Ward set to be restored

The make-over will include restoration of the historic Art Deco faƧade and interiors while bringing the buildingā€™s amenities up to modern standards. Plans for the building include a cafĆ© and market, as well as community meeting spaces and a live music venue. Project Row Houses is giving an update on the constructionĀ Saturday morningĀ and unveiling some artwork for the construction fences surrounding the building as the rehabilitation finish

Ā 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2022/05/06/historic-eldorado-ballroom-to-undergo-9-7m-update.html

Eldorado Ballroom historic music venue to undergo $9.7M update

May 6, 2022, 1:47pm CDT

The updates to the Eldorado Ballroom at 2310 Elgin St. will include restoring the 10,000-square-foot building after two fires destroyed much of its interiors and the addition of a 5,000-square-foot annex.

Edited by editor
Edited due to copyright. Remember to summarize and link. Don't copy and paste.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Lucille's Hospitality GroupĀ is opening a dining concept in the Eldorado Ballroom at 3210 Elgin St. The restaurant group is helmed by chef Chris Williams of Lucille's, a restaurant in the Museum District.

Last year, Lucille's Hospitality Group announced a slew of new projects in the works. Rado / Rado Cafe was one of the reported concepts. It will supposedly be an all-day cafe serving coffee and cocktails.

Rado's exact location wasn't disclosed at the time of the announcement. It was only reported the all-day cafe would open in the Third Ward area. However, later reports revealed Rado will become part of Eldorado BallroomĀ at 3210 Elgin St.

As noted by Eater Houston, Rado is "named for the historic Eldorado Ballroom."

Here are the details about Rado and a forthcoming art gallery reported last year:

"In addition to partnering with Burrell to open Late August, Williams will also [open] Rado Cafe. Expected to open in the Third Ward in 2022, Rado will serve coffee, cocktails, and "cuisine with purpose," according to a release. Hogan Brown Gallery, a venue that will promote African American art and artists, will open as a companion to Rado."

"Locations for both Late August and Rado Cafe will be announced soon, a representative tells CultureMap."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/02-03-21-lucilles-hospitality-group-new-restaurants-late-august-rado-cafe-chris-williams-dawn-burrell/

A blurb about the location from a Houston Chronicle listicle last year:

"And in February, [Chris Williams] announced the creation of Lucille's Hospitality Group and several upcoming concepts: ...Rado CafƩ and Hogan Brown Gallery in the Historic Eldorado Ballroom redevelopment..."
Ā 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/projects/guides/black-owned-restaurants-houston/

Ā 

Ā 

gy8cbYS.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Rado's exact location wasn't disclosed at the time of the announcement. It was only reported the all-day cafe would open in the Third Ward area. However, recent state filings indicate Rado will be located at 3210 Elgin St. I suppose the cafe's name should have tipped me off that this will be located at Eldorado Ballroom.

Also, there is this mention alluding to Rado, the all-day cafe and restaurant from Lucille's Hospitality Group. The mention is located on Project Row's website regarding the renovations to Eldorado Ballroom at 3210 Elgin St.

"Once restored, the ground floor will feature a cafƩ and local market, and community gathering and meeting spaces."

There are other details about the Eldorado Ballroom renovations as well:

"Upstairs, the ballroom will once again be an incredible venue for live music, dancing, and celebrating. An annex and courtyard will create additional areas for the community to come together."

https://projectrowhouses.org/our-work/neighborhood-development/eldorado-ballroom/
Ā 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An update on the reopening of Eldorado Ballroom atĀ 3210 Elgin St. Rado Cafe andĀ Hogan Brown Gallery are also located on the premises.

From Chron.com yesterday:

"The ballroom, at the corner of Elgin Street and Emancipation Avenue, has undergone extensive renovations over the past year thanks to Project Row House. The reopening party in Houston, which will take place from 6-9 p.m. on March 30, will include performances from artists who have previously graced the Eldorado stage, and will highlight the many updates to the Art Moderne building, including new restrooms, a cafe, an art gallery, meeting spaces, and restoration of the original wood paneling and stucco."

https://www.chron.com/culture/music/article/solange-el-dorado-17789480.php

• Like 4