Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center

torvald

Isn't ground breaking (or has been broken) for the Islamic Center on the old Robinson Warehouse site? Or maybe it's the bridge..

edit: wait - you started that thread :)

Ha.... I guess I did. I remember that article and I wonder if they are starting to build.

the construction trailer is on the SW corner of Montrose and Allen is for MDC (Millis Development and Construction). They have signs up on the other side of the bayou as well, and on the north side of Memorial, as well as farther east away from the bridge site. looks like there's other work planned as well to clean stuff up around there.

so it is a staging site for the bridge.

• 4 weeks later...
Plans are still in the works to build a Muslim Ismaili center at the corner of Allen Parkway and Montrose, according to the group that bought the property in 2006 and tore down the art deco warehouse that had sat on it for decades.

The Aga Khan Foundation purchased the 11-acre property with plans to build a facility to house conferences and lectures relating to the Aga Khan Development Network as well as for recitals and exhibitions to educate the public about Islam's heritage.

The building was also expected to contain a prayer hall, classrooms and offices, the group said when it bought the property.

The design concept and timeline for development weren't known when the property was purchased, however, and they still aren't.

“At the moment, no concrete plans have been developed,” said Zahir Janmohamed, CEO of the Aga Khan Council for the USA.

For now, the site is being used as a construction staging area for work being done on a nearby bridge.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/sarnoff/6973867.html

• 2 years later...

The massive lot located on Studemont between Allen Parkway and Dallas (as the title suggests) had fence posts going in this morning all around it. Any idea of what is going on here? Seems like a pretty money spot. Hopefully that picture comes up,

post-10635-0-87914500-1342714097_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks for the post telling us you are not telling us anything.

I think what he's implying is that he wishes it would not be built - perhaps motivated by his particular brand of tribalism - and that he laments not being able to truly express how he feels because it would be deemed politically incorrect.

Am I right?

I think what he's implying is that he wishes it would not be built - perhaps motivated by his particular brand of tribalism - and that he laments not being able to truly express how he feels because it would be deemed politically incorrect.

Am I right?

Pretty close.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.buffalobayou.org/documents/July2012FAQs-BuffaloBayouParkShepherdtoSabine.pdf

Will the planned Ismaili Center construction begin at the same time as Buffalo Bayou Park construction takes place?

We are hopeful that Houston is next on the list of construction for an Ismaili Center at Allen Parkway and Montrose by the Aga Khan Foundation; we have met with representatives from the Aga Kahn Foundation, however we do not have information about those plans at this time.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Do we expect to get a rendering of this so called 'architectural wonder' or is it their game plan to just build it and let the final product do the talking?

I say this because it is such a prominent site and with the spur of development, and quality of development, going up in the NearTown/Montrose/West Gray area, i really hope it is a memorable building.

So this community center owns all the land from Allen Parkway to Dallas?

I believe so. Remember this is the site that had that  abandoned 1920's era art deco warehouse. I really wish they could have renovated that one but I imagine it had asbestos issues.

I believe so. Remember this is the site that had that abandoned 1920's era art deco warehouse. I really wish they could have renovated that one but I imagine it had asbestos issues.

I never saw the warehouse. Does arch-ive have a photo? :)

• Like 1