Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor Restaurant At 1290 Post Oak Blvd.

enviromain

Wow, do I remember? How could I forget? We went there first to load up on sugar and then burned all that sugar buzz up while ice skating. I remember as an adult noting that Ferrell's was no longer there, but am unsure of the closing date. What else do you know about the Farrell's in the Galleria?

I'm starting to think we're the only one's that remember Farrell's. I'm really surprise because there was usually a line to get in. I had a birthday there once and they made a really big deal to make noise with drums and whistles and singing for my birthday. I had never had that much attention in public in my entire life. Farrell's made me feel special that day!

I remember! You could ordered a sundae that had 6 or 8 or 10 different kinds of ice cream (I thought it was scoops) for parties. This was the first time I saw wait staff run around the restaurant singing happy birthday and making a big deal to embarrass you.

There was one in NW Mall for a while as well. Good times! :rolleyes:

You beat me to the punch, they were all over town.

I do not remember locations all over town, but I do remember the Farrell's in the Gallaria Shopping Mall. And the birthday displays were the first big attention-getters that I first remember. It was embarassing, but thrilling at the same time. Farrell's was the forerunner for birthday recognition post roasting parties!

You beat me to the punch, they were all over town.

Farrell's was discussed a long time ago in another thread. but no time to hunt for that now :D

Houston had three locations. The Galleria, Almeda Mall, and Northwest Mall.

http://www.happyitis.biz/Locations/historiclocations.htm

I only went to the Galleria and Almeda locations. The Almeda Farrells was at the main east side mall entrance.

I think the last thing to be in that location was Marcos' Mexican Food.

I had one birthday at Farrells (almeda location). I remember many red light siren hats being worn by the staff when they came out to your table to acknowledge your birthday. I was very embarrassed by all the attention! :blush:

Farrell's was discussed a long time ago in another thread. but no time to hunt for that now :D

Houston had three locations. The Galleria, Almeda Mall, and Northwest Mall.

http://www.happyitis.biz/Locations/historiclocations.htm

I only went to the Galleria and Almeda locations. The Almeda Farrells was at the main east side mall entrance.

I think the last thing to be in that location was Marcos' Mexican Food.

I had one birthday at Farrells (almeda location). I remember many red light siren hats being worn by the staff when they came out to your table to acknowledge your birthday. I was very embarrassed by all the attention! :blush:

I had visited the last Farrell's in San Diego a few years ago. I just read that it just closed 45 days ago.

Edited by old_Sharpstown

I LOVED Farrell's!! When I was little it scared the crap out of me (like to the point of crying when the band came out for someone's birthday) but I had two birthday parties there when I was 11 and 12 and we all went skating afterward. It was the BEST birthday ever, both years!! We lived in Kingwood so it was always a real treat to go to the Galleria!

• 3 months later...
I remember going there for a friends birthday party once. I also remember the jingle from their commercials!

There once was a Farrell's here in Beaumont in Parkdale Mall. It gave dentists a lot of patients. Now there's a Fuddrucker's out in the parking lot near where the Farrell's was. Are there any Fuddrucker's in the Houston area?

There once was a Farrell's here in Beaumont in Parkdale Mall. It gave dentists a lot of patients. Now there's a Fuddrucker's out in the parking lot near where the Farrell's was. Are there any Fuddrucker's in the Houston area?

Which one? There has to be at least a dozen Fuddruckers in Houston. Good burgers!

Which one? There has to be at least a dozen Fuddruckers in Houston. Good burgers!

Yes, to me, the only good burger is a fat and greasy one! The higher the cholesterol to clog your arteries, the better! You could get one at Farrell's. Have a hot fudge banana split after that, and you're all ready for the emergency room.

• 2 months later...
I'm starting to think we're the only one's that remember Farrell's. I'm really surprise because there was usually a line to get in. I had a birthday there once and they made a really big deal to make noise with drums and whistles and singing for my birthday. I had never had that much attention in public in my entire life. Farrell's made me feel special that day!

Rock candy of every color! That was soooo cooool when I was a kid! I had forgotten about that place with good pizza, ice cream, and a candy shop out of any kid's dreams! Cool one Enviromain.

• 2 months later...

I so wish Farrell's was back in the Galleria insted of all the restaurants that are where it used to be. Every Saterday, I used to go eat at the Paysetter (sp?) where Bennigan's is now. Then spend the next few hours ice skating, goin' to the Fun Shop, Mr. Music and Farrell's.

There is a big place in the Galleria called "The Candy Bar" but it just ain't the same.

First, a little introduction: I've been lurking on this board fairly often for several months. I'm not a Houstonian, but I did live there for a few years in the early 80's (in couple of those SW Houston singles' apartments that are apparently now scary territory) and I grew up visiting a cousin in the Sharpstown area two or three times a year in the 60's and 70's.

I find the posts on this board fascinating. I can't say that I know the city well, but I can relate to a lot of them from my few years living there and from the visits when I was a lad. Besides that, urban history of any description (especially when I'm familiar with the setting) is an interest of mine.

That said, I want to delurk long enough to say that Farrell's in the Galleria really meant "big city" to me when I was growing up. I insisted that we go there every time we were in town. It was an especially great visit when there was a birthday...and that seemed to happen every visit. We do have what purports to be the "Oldest Dairy Queen in Texas" here in Henderson, but that's not quite the same.

I vaguely think that Farrell's was still in the Galleria when I lived there (81-84) but I guess I was beyond it at that point. I never remember going during that time, if it was there at all.

I so wish Farrell's was back in the Galleria insted of all the restaurants that are where it used to be. Every Saterday, I used to go eat at the Paysetter (sp?) where Bennigan's is now. Then spend the next few hours ice skating, goin' to the Fun Shop, Mr. Music and Farrell's.

There is a big place in the Galleria called "The Candy Bar" but it just ain't the same.

Time to get embarrassed!

The uniforms and the beautiful girls wearing them is what stood out for me!

Apparently, they are still kicking around in Southern Cal. http://www.farrellsusa.com/story.html

269674999_5bf3a62140.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

I do not remember locations all over town, but I do remember the Farrell's in the Gallaria Shopping Mall. And the birthday displays were the first big attention-getters that I first remember. It was embarassing, but thrilling at the same time. Farrell's was the forerunner for birthday recognition post roasting parties!

Farrells and Pipe Organ Pizza would embarrass the heck out of you. At Pipe Organ Pizza they had staff dressed as Disney characters that would make you go onstage and dance with them if it was your birthday. I'll never forget taking a good friend there for the first time on his 19th birthday and watching him unsuccessfully try to fight off Mickey and Minnie as they dragged him to the stage and made him dance to their stupid birthday song.

Ahh. Good times.

• 4 months later...
I remember the very first time I discovered Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour in the Galleria, right across from the ice skating rink. Man, the ice cream came in slabs, not scoops like I was accustomed to. And the chocolate chip mint was to die for.......Mmmm.........

Then to top it off there was the candy store that if you begged enough, the parents would have to give in. Rock candy, sweet candy, bitter candy, cinnamon candy, mint candy, taffy, jaw breakers, etc.......

Woah......I got my first large jawbreaker there. It took me all summer to get it small enough to start chewing it and hoping I didn't break my teeth.

Yes, there used to be a Farrell's in Parkdale Mall in Beaumont. But I've just realized that, other than Baskin-Robbins where you just go in to buy a cone, I don't know of any chain ice cream places where you go inside, sit at a table/booth, and order sundaes, banana splits, burgers and fries, etc. Maybe the only ones that remain are privately-owned.

1970parlourlistingfront.jpg

1970parlourlistingback_small.jpg

I used to go to the Northwest mall location as a kid. I still remember the pink brown and white stripes decor and an icecream barge called the "Pig Trough" or something like that ?

The NW mall location was the one I went to as a kid...parties and such...

Those were the days!

Wasn't there another place kind of like it called Swenson's?

Edited by Disastro

• 14 years later...

Ok, for years now and I do mean years, I have been racking my brain, asking family & friends and they all looked at me

like I was making this place up. I could NEVER ever remember the name of it but my only memory of this wonderful

motherload as a child was the tall ice cream (of any kind), the music, the lights & colors and the amazing fun this

little tyke ever had! I was maybe 4-6 yrs old (52 yrs old now) but I just remember us kids (& cousins) all going

on the weekends when our dad had us and wow!!!  Thank you all so much for that. I decided for some dumb odd reason

to Google search this again (a little nostalgic I guess) and 4 names popped up and without a moments hesitation, I knew when I 

saw the name, this was it. Literally lights and bells and sounds all went off and the taste of a root beer float comes back. It

all just came rushing back and just made my month/year!  

I love memories such as these - y'all are the best! This lady needed this trip ♥

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor Restaurant At 1290 Post Oak Blvd.