Any Old Restaurant Or Store Still Standing Around

sabasushi

It's been fun reading these threads about the history of Houston, especially restaurants and malls, even though I've never been to Houston til 2005.

Now, I have a question...are there any restaurants or stores that have been around for at least 30 years and still standing? For example, one that comes to my mind is the old Pig Stand restaurant on Washington Street -- not sure how old it is, but it looks like that particular restaurant has been there since 60's or 50's.

Also, what about the restaurant The Stables between Texas Medical Center and the Astromode area? (I can't remember the street -- it's either Main or Old Spanish Trail, probably.) The menu at that place is *very* Seventies, and they serve a free veggie appetizer with a cheese dip -- something I hadn't seen since the 70's.

Any other examples?

Niko Niko's on Montrose. Tell Dimitri I said wassup playa !

Mason Jar on I-10

Pappy's close by on I-10, used to be a Ruby Red's though, anyone back this up ?

Mama's Cafe on Westhiemer

Spaghetti Warehouse, downtown, and it's HAUNTED !

Frenchy's on Scott st.

Rainbow Lodge

Brady's Landing on the ship channel.

Guy's Meat Market on OST and Yellowstone...I think they've been there since the 40's or 50's? The original was on Scott Street(?) in the 30's?

The original Ninfa's on Navigation has been around for what, 30-40 years?

Mandola's Deli on Leeland at Cullen has been there forever. Some of their UH memorabilia is at least 30 years old!

Taj Mahal on the Gulf Freeway has to be at least 30 years old now.

Original New Orleans Po-Boy on Main Street is what, 25-30 years old?

C&D Burger Shoppe on Fuqua is around 25 years old now.

Anyone ever been to Neptune Subs down on SH 146? I think they're pretty old...

According to Ken Hoffman:

Here's a Texas factoid: The first drive-through in America was built at the Pig Stand restaurant in Dallas in 1921.

There is a Pig Stand in Houston, at 2412 Washington Ave. It's the longest-running restaurant in the city. By the door there is a sign:

"Arguing with a waitress is like wrestling a pig in the mud. After a while, you realize the pig enjoys it."

Shame, he doesn't say how long that is.

Kaplan's Ben Hur just closed. They were an OOOOOOOLD department store. I only went in there once, right before X-mas 2004. I'll never forget it...it was SNOWING outside.

Felix Mexican Rest. is a great little time warp.

Mandola's Deli is really neat too....their policy is "Come behind the counter and get refills yourself, otherwise we'll have to charge you for it"

Doyle's of Oak Forest (34th between Ella and TC Jester) is somewhere around 50 years old. Interesting little spot, but the food is average.

I love the Stables too! Definetly a time warp.

Sheesh...I guess I like old restaurants.

Mason Jar on I-10

Frenchy's on Scott st.

Rainbow Lodge

Frenchy's! My hubby and I just ate there a few weeks ago -- it was recommended in a book, so we went there. That place on Scott sure looks like it hadn't changed since, what, 60's or 70's. But it's still very popular -- the place was packed when we were there. The food was worth the wait, though -- definitely some of the best fried chicken I've eaten in a while.

By the way, I didn't realize that Mason Jar was a chain. There is one near Colorado Springs, CO but since I never saw it anywhere else, I had assumed it was just a mom-and-pop place.

Christies on Westheimer

Brennans

House of Pies

Felix Mexican on Westheimer

Tel-Wink Grill

Michaelangelos

Spanish Village on Almeda

Speaking of Brennan's...has anyone eaten there in Houston recently? Is it any good? I'm asking because the reviews on B4-U-EAT were mixed, but they seemed to be related to changing chefs.

And is Felix Mexican worth a visit? I've heard that it is knd of "Gringo Mex" (read: bland Mexican, heavy on big evil orange cheese and shredded iceberg) but it's supposed to have a lot of history.

Mason Jar on I-10

Frenchy's on Scott st.

Rainbow Lodge

Yes, I can back up that the Pappy's on I-10 was a Ruby Red's. Although, we always visited the Ruby Red's on Westheimer where Sullivan's Steak House is now (different building now - Ruby Red's was torn down). Neatest thing about the restaurant though, was that they put complimentary peanuts on the table and encouraged everyone to throw the shells on the floor. The entire floor was covered with peanut shells. That was really cool to a little kid.

Let's not forget the good ole Barbecue Inn on N. Yale and Crosstimbers. It's been there since the '40s, I think. Theres another restaurant just west of it on Crosstimbers, 'Mexicatessen' which looks like it has been there since the 50's.

Las Almedas restaurant on I-10 near Voss is a nice throwback to 1970's oil-happy Houston.

Tex-Chick on Fairview, which has been doing Puerto Rican food since the 80's, but originally sold chicken sandwiches and the like. I grew up on Castle Court and have one of those vague split-second memory flashes of being in there with my dad around 1965 and him talking to a tall older gentleman with grayish-blonde hair who I believe was the owner. Wish he was still around for me to ask him about going there. :(

And is Felix Mexican worth a visit? I've heard that it is knd of "Gringo Mex" (read: bland Mexican, heavy on big evil orange cheese and shredded iceberg) but it's supposed to have a lot of history.

I think it is worth a visit not for the food, which is OK, but to see the building and all the history on the walls.

Las Almedas restaurant on I-10 near Voss is a nice throwback to 1970's oil-happy Houston.

The food is damn tasty, and they have some great views out over a ravine in the back.

The Los Tios Restaurant on Tanglewild and Westheimer.

Houston Jeweler's old building on Westheimer still stands. Overhauled by Borders books.

I was wondering if anyone knows about The Blue Marlin Restaurant, that was in Humble on the San Jac river. Is it still open ?

Let's not forget the good ole Barbecue Inn on N. Yale and Crosstimbers. It's been there since the '40s, I think. Theres another restaurant just west of it on Crosstimbers, 'Mexicatessen' which looks like it has been there since the 50's.

Every big city has some "greasy spoon" diners that have been in the same spot for at least 50 years.

• 1 month later...

Bellaire Broiler Burger?

59 Diner (used to be Phil's, serves much the same kind of food)

Hobbit Hole? (new location, same menu, more or less)

Star Pizza?

Goode Company BBQ on Kirby?

Dante Italian on the Gulf Freeway?

Gaidos in Galveston

The Hot Bagel Shop in Bellaire

Regarding old places:

River Oaks Theatre (not to be too obvious about it)

Variety Fair in Rice Village

Neiman-Marcus in the Galleria

Marty

Hasn't the Old San Francisco Steakhouse been around for quite some time?

Yes it has... I went there several times about 30 years ago.

Every big city has some "greasy spoon" diners that have been in the same spot for at least 50 years.

Trust me, Barbecue Inn is NOT a greasy spoon. It's a nice restaurant. I eat there at least once a month. However I think the waitresses are the same as when I started going there 40+ years ago.

While you were doing the cruise down Crosstimbers, you forgot Flying Saucer Pies... I know it's been there and going strong at least 40 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Las Alamedas on I-10 between Voss and Wirt.

Lankford Grocery in Midtown

Vargo's off Westheimer & Fondren

Biba's One's A Meal

Pino's on Westheimer and Hillcroft

Several Hotel restaurants, including Warwick, La Colomb D'or

Damian's?

Drexler's

These are just the first few that come to mind. There are thousands of restaurants from the mid-70s, many hundreds even older, and probably even more stores that have been around since the 50s and earlier.

Archived