Any Old Restaurant Or Store Still Standing Around

sabasushi

Loma linda is on Wayside and 45. I used to know the owner...Haven't been there in awhile.

there is a loma linda on telephone and des jardines - it doesn't have the neat old sign, though

(from maps.a9.com)

25hh6l0.jpg

Just a tack-on. Brennan's was mentioned here several times, but do none of you "youngsters" realize that before Brennan's took over, the building was the Junior League? My Grandmother gave an elegant "Sweet 16 Birthday Luncheon" for me and all my girlfriends. The Dining Room was on the second floor. So, to date it, that was May of 1957, I don't know how long the League had been there prior.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Tex-Chick on Fairview, which has been doing Puerto Rican food since the 80's, but originally sold chicken sandwiches and the like. I grew up on Castle Court and have one of those vague split-second memory flashes of being in there with my dad around 1965 and him talking to a tall older gentleman with grayish-blonde hair who I believe was the owner. Wish he was still around for me to ask him about going there. :(

I remember the place that is now Tex-Chick as Turtle News back in the early 70s. It was where I bought my underground comics and picked up tickets to concerts. It didn't last too long though. I think it was gone before the end of 1973.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

It's been fun reading these threads about the history of Houston, especially restaurants and malls, even though I've never been to Houston til 2005.

Now, I have a question...are there any restaurants or stores that have been around for at least 30 years and still standing? For example, one that comes to my mind is the old Pig Stand restaurant on Washington Street -- not sure how old it is, but it looks like that particular restaurant has been there since 60's or 50's.

Also, what about the restaurant The Stables between Texas Medical Center and the Astromode area? (I can't remember the street -- it's either Main or Old Spanish Trail, probably.) The menu at that place is *very* Seventies, and they serve a free veggie appetizer with a cheese dip -- something I hadn't seen since the 70's.

Any other examples?

what about sears on shepherd and garden oaks

Someone asked if El Felix, Las Alamedas or Brennans were worth a visit. They are all closed. The buildings are still there unless they tore down Brennans to rebuild after the fire during the middle of Ike.

Dillards Post Oak has been around since the sixties formally Joskes of Houston. If you go inside and into some of the corners or restrooms you can still get a look at some of the original floor and walls.

The old downtown Pasadena was Shaw around Shaver and Main. There are still some old building there and down the street the El Capitan theatre.

Vargos has been around since at least the early 70s.

30 years is not a long time ago and there are still a lot of those old buildings around.

Go back a little further and go to La Carafe it is from the 1800s or the Magnolia Ball Room both downtown.

joe

Someone asked if El Felix, Las Alamedas or Brennans were worth a visit. They are all closed. The buildings are still there unless they tore down Brennans to rebuild after the fire during the middle of Ike.

Dillards Post Oak has been around since the sixties formally Joskes of Houston. If you go inside and into some of the corners or restrooms you can still get a look at some of the original floor and walls.

The old downtown Pasadena was Shaw around Shaver and Main. There are still some old building there and down the street the El Capitan theatre.

Vargos has been around since at least the early 70s.

30 years is not a long time ago and there are still a lot of those old buildings around.

Go back a little further and go to La Carafe it is from the 1800s or the Magnolia Ball Room both downtown.

joe

Brennan's is rebuilding and opening this fall.

http://blog.brennanshouston.com/

The Hong Kong Chef in Bellaire has been at its present location for at least forty years.

The Post Oak Ranch on S. Post Oak has been there at least thirty years.

Even though this is outside of Houston, Larrys Mexican Restaurant on Hwy 90 in Richmond has been a place Houstonians have been going to for over forty years.

Post Oak Ranch has been there quite a while. A friend of mine worked there

about 1971-1972 or so, and I remember him telling me that they had been

in business 30 years at that time according to the owner.

And that was nearly 40 years ago.

I think the old guy he worked for might have been the original owner,

but I'm not sure. They have been through a couple of owners since then.

Anyway, Post Oak Ranch has been there an easy 50 years I think.

Maybe longer. I assume they were there back when Post Oak was the

main drag through there, and you were about out in the country at

that point. I'm not sure about buildings. The one they are in now is

the same one that was there in 1970. But looking at some of the old

air views from the 50's, they might have had a different building

back in the 50's, or remodeled it.. Kind of hard to tell.

If the "30 years in 1970" story is true, that would place the opening

sometime in the 40's or so. That was out in the sticks back then.

BTW, I still think they have some of the best Bar-B-Q sandwiches

around.. Dang.. I'm almost tempted to go grab a couple.. Making me

hungry. :/

Just a tack-on. Brennan's was mentioned here several times, but do none of you "youngsters" realize that before Brennan's took over, the building was the Junior League? My Grandmother gave an elegant "Sweet 16 Birthday Luncheon" for me and all my girlfriends. The Dining Room was on the second floor. So, to date it, that was May of 1957, I don't know how long the League had been there prior.

I heard or read once that the Post Oak Ranch off the 610 access road around Westheimer was also the Junior League or somthing like that. Does anyone else remember anything like that. I think there are two Post Oak Ranch named venues, one a restaurant and one a night club. I just remember the one I am thinking of had a driveway from the access road lined with white lights in the trees.

joe

• The title was changed to Any Old Restaurant Or Store Still Standing Around?
  • The title was changed to Any Old Restaurant Or Store Still Standing Around

Archived