The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Well then, I don't see why you wouldn't go to the restaurant as the policy only applies after 7 PM.

I just choose not to go out for Mexican food when its a night out.  I can get good Mexican anywhere...I don't need to goto "upscale" Mexican food.  Its like "upscale" BBQ...its not better, it just costs more.

I just choose not to go out for Mexican food when its a night out.  I can get good Mexican anywhere...I don't need to goto "upscale" Mexican food.  Its like "upscale" BBQ...its not better, it just costs more.

To each their own I suppose... but comparing Teotihuican (which I like) to Hugo's (upscale) as being anything close to similar is completely wrong. 

upscale can = more than just costing more.

Edited by SilverJK
  • Like 1

You said you doubt you'll ever go because of the policy.

Well Ive never been to it and b/c of the policy I doubt I ever will

The policy has no effect on you because it only prohibits children during a time you wouldn't take them anyway.

You said you doubt you'll ever go because of the policy.

The policy has no effect on you because it only prohibits children during a time you wouldn't take them anyway.

Poor writing on my part...I meant to say but not b/c of the policy...the policy does not bother me in the least.  I prefer to dine out without the presence of my kids, but that is not always an option, so if I have the kids in tow, we goto cheaper places where I can let them move about and its acceptable....We goto Berry Hill at 5:30 on the patio, or even more often we will goto Misson Burrito b/c they have a very small playground.

Whew guys . . . cool it.  We're not discussing some life or death issue here.  Whether or not MarkSMU chooses to dine at Mexican restaurants has no bearing on, well, anything!  I don't give a rat's ass if his comments have some holes in them.  The issues are tangential at best to anything seriously being discussed here.

Mark - go enjoy whatever meal at whatever restaurant you choose. 

• Like 1

New bar/restaurant by the Downhouse team to take over block on N. Shep. between 18th and 19th.

http://blog.chron.com/29-95/2013/08/cusack-knight-mason-announce-hunky-dory-plans/

WooHoo...another one at Shepherd n 15th.

http://swamplot.com/drinking-not-driving-heights-used-car-dealership-sold-to-beer-gardeners/2013-08-20/

yay BEER!   Maybe they can capture the feel that Onion Creek used to have before they started serving liqour.  Lack of RedBull and Vodka keeps a certain type of d-bag away.   Shortly after OC started serving liqour you saw an increase of those types of people (dude bros), in large groups always standing/blocking the doors to get in to the bar, being overly loud and obnoxious. 

I still like going to OC and they probably made the right financial move, I just personally like beer joints more  (like D&T)

Whew guys . . . cool it. We're not discussing some life or death issue here.

Such as....is it walkable? If so, does the restaurant have a shoe tree adequate enough to handle the 6pm rush hour, or will patrons be forced to leave their shoes on neighborhood sidewalks resulting in a decrease in available walking space and a backup of patrons onto the aging and inadequate sidewalk infrastructure?

• 2 weeks later...

http://treadsack.com/news/foreign-correspondents/

The plans now include a farm to table Thai restaurant to share the same property as Hunky Dory. 

Either  "Hunky Dory" and "farm to table Thai" in the same phrase  is good  satire  or we're doomed by our own pretentiousness in one square block.

I'm putting a bird on it.

Actually, farm to table Thai makes lots of sense in Houston.  A lot of Asian vegetables grow well in Houston's hot and wet climate.  Eggplant, basil, chilies, yardlong beans, clinatro, lemon grass, mint, sweet potato, and Chinese kale are some examples of typical Thai vegetables and herbs that grow well in Houston.  Even jasmine rice, used in Thai rice noodles, is grown in Texas. 

Actually, farm to table Thai makes lots of sense in Houston.  A lot of Asian vegetables grow well in Houston's hot and wet climate.  Eggplant, basil, chilies, yardlong beans, clinatro, lemon grass, mint, sweet potato, and Chinese kale are some examples of typical Thai vegetables and herbs that grow well in Houston.  Even jasmine rice, used in Thai rice noodles, is grown in Texas. 

I agree. (WHAT!!!!)

I grow lemongrass, thai basil, chilies, mint, chinese mustard greens, and I have a kafir lime tree myself.  (most of my incredients I originally got for making my own Tom Yum Goon soup, which I admittedly hardly ever make anymore). 

Waldo's coffee house is becoming Boulevard Coffee.  They are renovating to add a bakery and more outdoor seating.  https://www.facebook.com/heightsblvdcoffee

Waldo's was nice, but not up to the quality of Boomtown, Revival or Catalina.  But, Waldo's did open up back when no one was interested in the Heights and was a nice place to stop on walks along Heights Blvd during the cool season.

• 2 weeks later...

Not this morning, but I had dinner there tonight. It was still packed at 9:30. That stretch of 19th used to be essentially deserted later in the evening, but that's about to change. 

Nice to see the old Harold's sign hanging inside, and one of the employees told us they were going to be getting some additional Harold's memorabilia (photos, etc.) soon. 

They have a full bar that extends out into the front patio area, which is pretty nice now that it's no longer the hottest part of the summer. Mostly a hipster crowd, as expected, but that will probably vary depending on the time of day. 

The only other location I've been to is the one in the Village, and I like the build-out better at this one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Chron reports that the chicken and doughnut place by the Liberty Kitchen folks will start building out/renovating this month and hope to be open next month.

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/BRC-Gastropub-broadening-its-brand-4879335.php?cmpid=entertainmenthcat

Heights General Store is shooting for early November opening.  Fat Cat Creamery is mostly finished, but has some utility issues to resolve.  Things are plugging away at the Coltivare location, but no promises made on opening.  I could see them getting opened before the holidays.  Good Dog is shooting for an October opening. 

Add in Torchy's and we will have a half dozen new places to eat open potentially by the end of the year.  Not too shabby.

• 1 month later...

Cricket's 2.0 closed.  A sign on the door hints at some sort of reboot/renovation, but I have not heard anything further.  The original Crickets was quirky and in no way a James Beard contender.  But, it had a very unique vegetarian menu with some good dishes that you could not get anywhere else.  It was also just a fun place inside, especially with kids.  The successor seemed to just suck all the life out of it, leaving the interior devoid of anything on the walls and putting out a very uninspired new menu.    While there are more than enough people in the Heights to support more restaurants on 19th, the location in and of itself does not guarantee success.  Hopefully, the reboot will be much better or someone else will come along and do something good with that space.

Isn't Scott Tycer involved with that one?

Yes, he bought it from the previous owner. I was pretty surprised to see it closed with the vaguely-worded sign on the door, and hope that it does return soon. I do agree that some of the physical changes that were made prior to the closure were disappointing. I realize that when a business changes hands, new ownership often has a different vision that involves significant changes, but IMO the changes that were implemented (particularly doing away with the seats in the front window) were not for the better. 

I do not know all the details, but someone else was involved in this on both an ownership and management level.  There was some sort of affiliation/partnership with Kraftsmen and Tycer.  But I do not think he bought it outright or was running it.  Still, with the two Braun developments and the overall strength in the Heights, there is a lot of potential on 19th street.  Just serve some good food with good service and the line will be out the door.