shady 75

Lack of Restaurant Diversity In the Heights

On 11/2/2017 at 6:36 PM, gmac said:

A very nice lake near New Braunfels.

But in this case, I think it refers to a subdivision in Katy, south of I-10, West of 99.

9 minutes ago, Angostura said:

But in this case, I think it refers to a subdivision in Katy, south of I-10, West of 99.

Ohhhhhhh.... Canyon LakeS

5 hours ago, Angostura said:

No, pretty sure it is canyon lake, near New Braunfels 

The Sitter Group behind King's Bierhaus is bringing another concept to the Heights area. They are planning to open several outlets of King's Kolache Haus. One is slated for the Heights area, but I don't know the exact location.

I would be interested in a kolache shop from Revival Market. I don't see that happening any time soon, however with their upcoming concepts in East Village on the boards.

Maison Pucha is open for dinner.  Menu is mostly French classics.  We will see whether the jinx can be broken.

Former Houston Press restaurant reporter and critic Cuc Lam has a new gig, and it's the very industry she covered while at the alt-weekly.

Lam is collaborating with longtime Houston restaurateur Jerry Lasco to open Sing, a casual, Singaporean-inspired restaurant opening in the Garden Oaks/Oak Forest neighborhood (lease negotiations are pending) in spring 2018. The restaurant also will feature dishes from China, Vietnam, Thailand, India and Malaysia.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Singaporean-inspired-Sing-to-open-spring-2018-12427113.php

New sign for Dunkin' Donuts spotted at the old Schlotzsky's on the northeast corner of Yale and 20th.

Or maybe it was a Quiznos?

IMG_1348.JPG

Edited by innerloop
Possible error.
  • Like 2

The Sunny Food Store was the first off-premise beer/wine licensee in the formerly dry Heights, but the first new establishment to open with an off-premise license if finally set to open: Italian-America Grocery Store, next to Gelazzi.

TABC permits were issued all the way back in April of last year. Congrats to owners on the opening.

On 1/2/2018 at 7:35 AM, innerloop said:

New sign for Dunkin' Donuts spotted at the old Schlotzsky's on the northeast corner of Yale and 20th.

Or maybe it was a Quiznos?

IMG_1348.JPG

pretty sure it was a quizno's

23 hours ago, s3mh said:

https://houston.eater.com/2018/1/23/16924532/ripe-cuisine-food-truck-permanent-location

My vegetarian wife will go nuts for this.  I guess this is needed to balance out the food karma of Hugs and Donuts, Pinkerton, Lee's Fried Chicken and other belly busting delights in the neighborhood.

Hopdoddy will be just across the patio. ;)

• Like 1

Moku Bar (poke bowl place in Conservatory downtown) is opening somewhere on White Oak.  

Richard Knight is taking over Harold's in the Heights.  I liked Chef Ware, but thought that he was phoning it in the past year or two.  The menu was a bit watered down (no Beaufort stew) and a little like a high end Luby's.  Richard Knight is the best and deserves a good break after the clowns running Treadsack submarined Hunky Dory.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-01-18-harolds-heights-new-chef-richard-knight-feast-hunky-dory-alli-jarrett/#slide=0

12 hours ago, flatline said:

Whoa.  Had seemed to be turning over tables okay the times that I've been in them recently.  Might be some macro issues going on at the corporate level:  

http://swamplot.com/pi-pizza-starfish-lease-lockouts-hit-both-ends-of-the-heights-blvd-strip-by-the-bayou/2018-08-02/

Lee Ellis left Cherry Pie Hospitality (the group that owns both places) a few months ago. And Anthony Calleo, the guy who started the Pi Pizza food truck, left the brick and mortar version in January. I suspect other things are going on behind the scenes at Cherry Pie that we haven't heard about yet.

i wonder if it was ye olde banking snafu of "i forgot to write and mail my landlord a check for rent"  or the other banking snadfu of writing the landlord a bad check....

19 hours ago, s3mh said:

https://houston.eater.com/2018/8/2/17645690/pi-pizza-and-star-fish-reopen

The old banking snafu.  I wonder whether transitioning Ellis and others out of the business is why the build out of Lee's Creamery on 19th and Rutland basically stopped in its tracks after being substantially built out.

Spoke to soon.  Sign is up in the window for Sweet Bribery.  It will have ice cream, baked goods and boozy treats.  

DaCapos is also closing.  Another retirement by the owner after 24 years in the Heights.  

That's too bad about DaCapo's - they made our wedding cake <mumble> years ago. But, like Hickory Hollow, at least they are the ones making the decision and going out on their own terms, rather than having their hand forced by someone else. Hard to begrudge someone a well-deserved retirement after a long and successful run in business. 

Cherry Pie Hospitality may have sold Lee's Fried Chicken and Donuts in the Heights at 601 Heights Blvd.

From Eater Houston:

A limited liability corporation associated with the two entities formed to purchase these restaurants also indicates that Sambrooks (Michael Sambrooks of Montrose barbecue favorite The Pit Room) has purchased Lee’s Fried Chicken and Donuts, also in the Heights. A representative for Cherry Pie Hospitality tells Eater that “nothing is purchased currently,” but did not clarify whether the sale is still pending or in the early stages.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/8/27/17785012/petite-sweets-houston-closed-pi-pizza-star-fish-sold

On 2/9/2018 at 10:05 AM, s3mh said:

Moku Bar (poke bowl place in Conservatory downtown) is opening somewhere on White Oak.  

Opening behind Taco A Go Go.

From Eater Houston:

Further proving that the poke trend will never die, Downtown poke bowl stand Moku Bar will soon open a standalone location in the Heights.

Back in February, Eater reported that Moku Bar was eyeing the White Oak area for its second location, and now an application filed with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission indicates that it is set to open soon at 2914 White Oak Drive, Suite A

https://houston.eater.com/2018/10/4/17935662/moku-bar-poke-opening-heights-white-oak

On 7/18/2018 at 2:25 PM, s3mh said:

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Southern-Goods-will-not-reopen-in-the-Heights-13085559.php

Southern Goods has officially called it quits.  I was really hoping they could rebuild.  

https://houston.eater.com/2018/10/12/17966538/bobby-heugel-justin-yu-new-bar-southern-goods-space-rumor

Some detective work by eater points to Heugel and Yu plotting something for the Southern Goods space.  I am not sure why eater is so sure that it will be a bar.  I would think it would be more along the lines of a gastropub like BLT or even a restaurant give that the space is set up with space for a kitchen.

On 10/12/2018 at 9:40 AM, s3mh said:

https://houston.eater.com/2018/10/12/17966538/bobby-heugel-justin-yu-new-bar-southern-goods-space-rumor

Some detective work by eater points to Heugel and Yu plotting something for the Southern Goods space.  I am not sure why eater is so sure that it will be a bar.  I would think it would be more along the lines of a gastropub like BLT or even a restaurant give that the space is set up with space for a kitchen.

Because Bobby Heugel told one of the local news sites his attention is on bars only. That's partly the reason for the amicable split between he and a his partner Kevin Floyd. Floyd wanted to open restaurants with Chris Shepherd, not only bars.

Someone is building a porch in front of the old Buffalo Fred's Ice House on N. Shep at 610.  

On 10/26/2018 at 7:36 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Because Bobby Heugel told one of the local news sites his attention is on bars only. That's partly the reason for the amicable split between he and a his partner Kevin Floyd. Floyd wanted to open restaurants with Chris Shepherd, not only bars.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/11-19-18-new-heights-restaurant-bobby-heugel-justin-yu-southern-goods-19th-street/

It will be a restaurant.  

Mastrantos is having its soft opening and is currently serving breakfast for fans of arepas.

Kolache Shoppe will open in the next few days.  Looks like they are doing dress rehearsals right now.

La Grande Rue has signs of life with a holiday box offering, but no sign of an opening yet.

Bacco in the Heights is coming to the 1400 block of Yale St.  I believe the street number is 1426.  It is in a bungalow on the east side of the street.  They are currently putting in a porch out front with a TABC notice on the door.  This is the same Bacco as Bacco on the Bayou.  Now that the dry zone is history, you can potentially have a pub crawl on Yale St.  Well, more like a wine bar and craft whiskey bar crawl.  

Maggie May's Coffee is coming to the strip center across the street from Hugs and Donuts (the preferred point of reference for everyone in the Heights with little kids).  This will be part of another location for Black Dog Records.  

Anyone know what is planned for the renovated house on the NWC of 15th and Yale (201 W 15th)?  The renovation looks great and seems like it could be a restaurant.

3 hours ago, Northwood said:

Anyone know what is planned for the renovated house on the NWC of 15th and Yale (201 W 15th)?  The renovation looks great and seems like it could be a restaurant.

I have heard that they are going to make it a space for special events.  

• Thanks 1

Happy All Cafe is closing.  Property will be redeveloped.  

I had assumed that Savoir/La Grande Rue would use Happy All's lot for parking.  Makes me wonder a bit about what is going on with that one.  I peaked in the window the other day and it looks like a fair amount of work is left to be done.  Savoir had a pop up dinner at Mastrantos last week.  But I have not seen a lot of work going on at the location on Yale.  Maybe I am just being overly sensitive in anticipation, as other places had very long roads to hoe with the city and construction delays.  

6 hours ago, s3mh said:

Katz’s Deli coming to the Mainland Autosales building.  They better keep the Art Guys statues.  

I, for one, welcome our new 24-hour deli overlords.

• Haha 1