Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

I think midtowncoog is right. This park is looking way too crammed with stuff in too tiny of an area.

There's not really enough green space imo, but who knows. Maybe when its finished the bums will tinkle all over the place and nourish it into thriving, lush jungle.

The garage component should be interesting. As I drove by earlier yesterday, they had yet to remove the median (trees, shrubs, curbs) that will allow access to/from the garage on the northern bound lanes of Ave. De Americas (god I hate that name). They did look like they were just about to start on that work though.

The basketball park (Root Brown?) across from Toyo is a shining example of how to keep the bums at bay: Security & Water Sprinklers

Bums don't need luxury encampments. There are a gazillion other spots in town they can make camp.

If I were a bum I'd live under 59/Settegast along the Bayou. Them some nice digs.

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, it was being used yesterday or the day before and have had the "hiring" sign out for several weeks. I can't see why not.

They're going to get a ton of business from the Hilton.

now that I think about it, I wonder how busy the Bar and restaurant in there is.

Can they really keep that much water frozen in +76 degree winter weather we're having here?

I don't know how they do it, but I heard on the radio the other day that there is an outdoor frozen rink up in the Woodlands and my boyfriend said he heard there was one in Galveston... so I guess it can be done. I guess we will see.

I don't know how they do it, but I heard on the radio the other day that there is an outdoor frozen rink up in the Woodlands and my boyfriend said he heard there was one in Galveston... so I guess it can be done. I guess we will see.

Yeah, when I lived in DC there was a rink on the mall (7th Street) that was often frozen in the winter, even though the temperatures were nowhere near freezing. But it was a very shallow body of water. This (Discovery Green Lake) sounds a bit deeper.

Yeah, when I lived in DC there was a rink on the mall (7th Street) that was often frozen in the winter, even though the temperatures were nowhere near freezing. But it was a very shallow body of water. This (Discovery Green Lake) sounds a bit deeper.

Maybe they are only turning a small, more shallow part of the lake into a rink in the winter.

They do this in many places. In fact, there was an ice skating rink in front of the downtown Foley's for several years in a row in the late 90's/early 2000's. I've even seen a rink on the beach in San Diego.

They do this in many places. In fact, there was an ice skating rink in front of the downtown Foley's for several years in a row in the late 90's/early 2000's. I've even seen a rink on the beach in San Diego.

Awsome... then IT CAN BE DONE! :D That would be neat to be able to go ice skating outdoors Downtown at the park.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by there last week and was surprised at how much work is left to be done. It still doesn't look like a park yet.

There was a sign up at the Grove. It read something like "THE GROVE. RESTAURANT. BAR. VIEW" A little too cute, I thought.

But I hope it's a big success.

From Wikipedia:

"In any climate, an arena ice surface can be installed in a properly built space. This consists of a bed of sand, or occasionally a slab of concrete, through (or on top of) which pipes run. The pipes carry a chilled fluid (usually either a salt brine or water with antifreeze) which can lower the temperature of the slab so that water placed atop it will freeze. Such rinks were developed in the late nineteenth century, the first being the Glaciarium in London."

Full article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_rink