Old Blue House Antique Shop At 1719 Westheimer Rd.

CrockpotandGravel

This was originally posted  April 5, 2019 in the previous thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

From a Loopnet listing November 2018:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1719-Westheimer-Rd-Houston-TX/14341338/

Retail Property For Lease

Property Type:     Retail  

Property Sub-type:     Freestanding 

Gross Leasable Area :  2,940 SF
Year Built :   1930  

• Freestanding Bldg 2,940 SF
• Beautiful Historic  Renovations
• High Exposed Ceilings
• Large Patio Areas
• In Heart of Lower Westheimer
• Delivery Summer 2019
• $68 psf NNN

And from the brochure:

https://images4.loopnet.com/d2/kDv2yapzPeRfWyRkmQiGVCKecsX32et_NugGN0k80ag/document.pdf

Historic Montrose redevelopment on Westheimer with restaurant code parking

ObKnnBx.jpg

Renderings:

seAeeYh.jpg

kvMbWxk.jpg

DmBhcOV.jpg

This was originally posted  April 5, 2019 in the previous thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

More on 1719 Westheimer Rd in Montrose Houston and what's replacing the Old Blue House Antique Shop.

In a look at the transformation of Lower Westheimer, Houston Chronicle's Nancy Sarnoff spoke with Mark Davis of Davis 
Commercial.

From the article:

On a recent tour of the area, Davis pointed out the newest shops and cafes and the buildings under construction where fitness concepts, dessert shops, pet stores and numerous restaurants plan to open.

Portland-based Voodoo Doughnuts just signed a letter of intent to lease one of Davis’ buildings: a two-story house at 1719 Westheimer that’s now an antique shop.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/Revival-of-Lower-Westheimer-draws-offbeat-niche-13741908.php

This was in the previous thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Avossos, April 5, 2019 in the thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place.

More on Voodoo Doughnuts's intent to open at  1719 Westheimer.

From Eater Houston today:

Just a few weeks after announcing that it would open a Houston location, wildly popular Portland fried dough chain Voodoo Doughnut already has a second outpost in the works.

The chain has signed a letter of intent to lease a space at 1719 Westheimer, taking over a two-story house that currently houses an antique shop, according to the Houston Chronicle. This location joins the previously-announced Voodoo Doughnut location at 3715 Washington Avenue, which will house the first-ever location with a drive-thru lane that bleary-eyed pastry enthusiasts can use to score doughnuts 24 hours a day.

https://houston.eater.com/2019/4/5/18296798/voodoo-doughnut-westheimer-road-opening-second-location

This was in the previous thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by gene, April 5, 2019 in the thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place.

haha just posted on the other thread that that was my favorite part of the article haha!!!

cannot wait!!!

😍🍩‼️

Originally posted by dbigtex56, April 5, 2019 in the thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place.

From the article: 

“If we had a South Congress, this would be it,” Davis said, referring to the trendy retail strip near downtown Austin.

Perhaps.

An argument could be made that the 19th Street shopping district in the Heights, (which features pre-WW II buildings set close to the street and a greater emphasis on antiques, vintage clothing, and music venues) more closely resembles South Congress.  

While I'm glad to see that there are plans to preserve the building at 1719 Westheimer, the blocks between Dunlavy and Woodhead have lost many of the businesses that made it a popular "antiques row" for many years. 

From the article:

“I think what’s really changed is that people want the cool factor, the walkability factor, the urban factor, and it’s all here,” Davis said. “Twenty, 30 years ago nobody was talking about walkability.”

By "people", I assume he means developers because I knew scads of people who appreciated those qualities forty years ago (and still do). All in all, Lower Westheimer is less "walkable" now than it was in the early 80's. It's do-able, but not enjoyable. Apparently, the reality of walking past acres of blistering strip center parking lots on a hot summer day does not figure into their algorithms. It should also be mentioned that just because a sidewalk exists on a map doesn't make it walkable in real life (i.e., the horrendous northeast corner of Westheimer and Montrose).

I applaud the sentiment. The question remains: are we willing to take the practical steps needed to make this a more appealing street for pedestrians?

• Like 1

Originally posted by jgriff, April 5, 2019 in the thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place.

I went in a few of those antique shops over the years. In my opinion they were mostly full of overpriced junk. Westheimer was always about record shops, #s, tattoo parlors, bars and restaurants. The antique shops I can do without out. We’ve lost the record shops mostly but the rest is still there. Some of it may have gone a bit more upscale but that’s fine by me. It’s still Montrose.

Originally posted by quietstorm, April 5, 2019 in the thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:36 PM, dbigtex56 said:

From the article: 

“If we had a South Congress, this would be it,” Davis said, referring to the trendy retail strip near downtown Austin.

Perhaps.

An argument could be made that the 19th Street shopping district in the Heights, (which features pre-WW II buildings set close to the street and a greater emphasis on antiques, vintage clothing, and music venues) more closely resembles South Congress.  

While I'm glad to see that there are plans to preserve the building at 1719 Westheimer, the blocks between Dunlavy and Woodhead have lost many of the businesses that made it a popular "antiques row" for many years. 

From the article:

“I think what’s really changed is that people want the cool factor, the walkability factor, the urban factor, and it’s all here,” Davis said. “Twenty, 30 years ago nobody was talking about walkability.”

By "people", I assume he means developers because I knew scads of people who appreciated those qualities forty years ago (and still do). All in all, Lower Westheimer is less "walkable" now than it was in the early 80's. It's do-able, but not enjoyable. Apparently, the reality of walking past acres of blistering strip center parking lots on a hot summer day does not figure into their algorithms. It should also be mentioned that just because a sidewalk exists on a map doesn't make it walkable in real life (i.e., the horrendous northeast corner of Westheimer and Montrose).

I applaud the sentiment. The question remains: are we willing to take the practical steps needed to make this a more appealing street for pedestrians?

Yep, I remember the Montrose of 40 years ago and there was more pedestrian activity then. 

Originally posted by j_cuevas713, April 6, 2019 in the thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place.

Well the city plans on making it more walkable, we just have to wait 3 more years. 🤦‍♂️

Originally posted by dbigtex56, April 6, 2019 in the thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:20 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Well the city plans on making it more walkable, we just have to wait 3 more years. 🤦‍♂️

By that time, I'll need it to be shuffle-able.

Originally posted by gene, June 14, 2019 in the thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place.

I wonder if any work has begun on this location of Voodoo Donuts...maybe i will drive by this weekend to see if there is any movement at all. I am ready for it to open 😋🍩‼️

Originally posted by Luminare, June 14, 2019 in the thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place.

On 6/14/2019 at 11:45 AM, gene said:

I wonder if any work has begun on this location of Voodoo Donuts...maybe i will drive by this weekend to see if there is any movement at all. I am ready for it to open 😋🍩‼️

I go to Agora every now and then which is across the street and as of this week no work has started yet. The antique store is still open.

• The title was changed to Old Blue House Antique Shop | 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place

Originally posted by gene, June 14, 2019 in the thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place.

thank you @Luminare for the update! (i love agora by the way...those gingerbread cookies are 😮)

• Like 1

Originally posted by Luminare, August 11, 2019 in the thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place.

Nothing yet on this one. Guess they still haven't worked out anything with a new tenant.

iRzJkWT.jpg

• Like 1

Originally posted by gene, August 12, 2019 in the thread for 1719 Westheimer Rd | Winlow Place.

I wonder if Voodoo is looking for a different location then? Possibly even the white house next door on the right of this location? I want my voodoo on westheimer!!!!!!! (i think montrose is a better location than washington corridor)

• The title was changed to Old Blue House Antique Shop 1719 Westheimer Rd
  • 3 months later...

the white house to the right of this one that had caught fire is now fully under reconstruction with the new roof supports and more up...

i did spy yellow signs on the door indicating the new tenant but was driving by and not walking to get a better look.

anyone have info? 

maaaaaybe voodoo afterall?! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 9:11 AM, gene said:

the white house to the right of this one that had caught fire is now fully under reconstruction with the new roof supports and more up...

i did spy yellow signs on the door indicating the new tenant but was driving by and not walking to get a better look.

anyone have info? 

maaaaaybe voodoo afterall?! 

I heard the VooDoo on Westheimer will be closer to Catbirds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

any news on this blue building or the white one next door that burned that is now being completely rebuilt...or the new voodoo? :)

Edited to say i stopped by and saw that the white once burned down house being reconstructed has a sign saying that Osvaldo Rios is the proprietor...When i looked him up online it says he is the owner of Freshmex Produce Import Inc a fruit and vegetable related company...

interesting...

and if you look up that guy's name he shares a name with a controversial latin soap star...one in the same? 😐

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

just fyi this won't be the Voodoo location afterall!

just fyi they announced the new location and surprised they didn't find a way to continue buildings that would be drive-thru accessible but here ya go:

https://houston.eater.com/2020/6/15/21291909/voodoo-doughnuts-opening-houston-montrose

The Portland-based chain, famous for it colorful doughnuts in offbeat flavors, will open at 1214 Westheimer Road, in the newly-revamped shopping center that previously housed Erotic Cabaret and Nidda Thai. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Finally, a tenant for the 1719 Westheimer property.

According to a filing yesterday with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream is opening it's third Houston area scoop shop here. The filing lists this summer as an estimated completion date for renovations.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, gene said:

not sure if another ice cream place is needed with one about about 2 blocks away each way....but hey if it's good and a cool place then maybe 🤔🍦

I agree. Still, Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream has a loyal following. The Montrose location may receive a lot of foot traffic from people who don't want to drive to the Heights location.

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2022 at 11:21 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Finally, a tenant for the 1719 Westheimer property.

According to a filing yesterday with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream is opening it's third Houston area scoop shop here. The filing lists this summer as an estimated completion date for renovations.

Rendering of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams coming soon to 1719 Westheimer in Montrose.

spacer.png

• Like 5

6 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Rendering of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams coming soon to 1719 Westheimer in Montrose.

spacer.png

Unfortunately, I think Milk & Sugar down the street might be put out of business once Jeni’s opens. Milk & Sugar was fantastic when it first opened pre-Covid, but I’ve noticed a considerable slip in quality since then.

• The title was changed to Old Blue House Antique Shop 1719 Westheimer Rd.