Old Blue House Antique Shop At 1719 Westheimer Rd.

CrockpotandGravel

17 hours ago, hindesky said:

And to think Chron.com's food editor has been sitting on this news since it was brought to her attention in January. Nothing in the article offered details, only that Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams is coming to Montrose which has been known on HAIF for 6 months.

I found it odd that the article was published in the food section instead of the business section. The article was mostly about Old Blue House Antique former and new location, which is great, but very little substance about Jeni's.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

17 hours ago, hindesky said:

Photos of the Montrose outpost of Jeni's Splendid Ice at 1719 Westheimer Rd, Ste 100. 

The photos are from the linked Chron.com article.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

On 6/30/2022 at 2:55 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

And to think Chron.com's food editor has been sitting on this news since it was brought to her attention in January. Nothing in the article offered details, only that Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams is coming to Montrose which has been known on HAIF for 6 months.

I, for one, appreciate your earlier scoop on the ice cream shop.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Old Blue House Antique Shop At 1719 Westheimer Rd.
  • 2 months later...
On 8/8/2022 at 2:49 PM, clutchcity94 said:

Anyone know when Jeni’s Ice Cream in. Montrose is scheduled to open?

This is from Community Impact earlier in October:

"Officials with Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams confirmed plans for a new location at 1719 Westheimer Road, Houston, in a building formerly occupied by the Old Blue House Antique Shop... A date has not been confirmed for the new store..."

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/business/2022/10/10/jenis-splendid-ice-creams-coming-soon-to-former-site-of-old-blue-house-antique-shop-in-montrose/ 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@hindeskymaybe i missed it but this building with it's upstairs and how it continues pretty far back and with an additional building behind it right (as shown in the above photo to the right of the front white main building)? is all this for Jeni's or other businesses as well? It almost looks like a private condo or apartment? 

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, hindesky said:

I believe I saw permits for apartments.

thank you! so cool to have apartments back there! those are going to be some lucky residents!

i have mentioned this before but my close friends dwayne, john and ron occupied the 2 rooftops apartments above Cutloose Hair which is next door to the Blue House back in the late 90s early 2000's and man that such a blast to hang there everyday up on the patio and watch the world of Montrose go by. fun times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gene said:

thank you! so cool to have apartments back there! those are going to be some lucky residents!

i have mentioned this before but my close friends dwayne, john and ron occupied the 2 rooftops apartments above Cutloose Hair which is next door to the Blue House back in the late 90s early 2000's and man that such a blast to hang there everyday up on the patio and watch the world of Montrose go by. fun times. 

It’s going to smell like brown butter waffle cones 24/7.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gene said:

it wont let me edit that i meant to say mid to late 90's!  and haha i would love to smell waffle cones all day...i love driving by the bread place on washington!!! 🙂

• 1 month later...

Also on the property are apartments. According to a Coldwell Banker Realty listing, it's named Ice Cream Lofts.

Details from the listing:

BRAND NEW - ICE CREAM LOFTS (Behind Jenni's Ice Cream) Super contemporary studio lofts in one of the most fun locations in Montrose. Brazil and Agora Coffee Shop, Common Bond Bakery, Wild and lots of other shops and restaurants surround this location. Brand new interiors, exteriors. High ceilings, super contemporary finishes. Super cute studio loft living.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/tx/houston/1719-westheimer-rd-a/pid_53117168/

5Si1y9E.png

6CEilyJ.png

Qsg3LNU.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Also on the property are apartments. According to a Coldwell Banker Realty listing, it's named Ice Cream Lofts.

BRAND NEW - ICE CREAM LOFTS (Behind Jenni's Ice Cream) Super contemporary studio lofts in one of the most fun locations in Montrose. Brazil and Agora Coffee Shop, Common Bond Bakery, Wild and lots of other shops and restaurants surround this location. Brand new interiors, exteriors. High ceilings, super contemporary finishes. Super cute studio loft living.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/tx/houston/1719-westheimer-rd-a/pid_53117168/

5Si1y9E.png

6CEilyJ.png

Qsg3LNU.png

1,250 a month for 350sqft— Super cool location but sheesh. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2022 at 4:54 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Rendering of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams coming soon to 1719 Westheimer in Montrose.

spacer.png

Below is an updated rendering of the forthcoming Montrose outpost for Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams. The rendering also includes the adjacent lofts. This is designed by Cisneros Design Studio. 

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams is opening at 1719 Westheimer Rd.

kEHL4yT.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Below is an updated rendering of the forthcoming Montrose outpost for Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams. The rendering also includes the adjacent lofts. This is designed by Cisneros Design Studio. 

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams is opening at 1719 Westheimer Rd.

kEHL4yT.jpg

I’m surprised it’s not open yet.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Stopped by Jeni's this weekend and didn't realize that it had apartments in the back. So so cool! Has 6 studios and based on a listing I saw they dropped the price from $1,275 to $1,100 at some point.

Each of the apartments has one reserved spot in the parking lot. 

ADCreHdZCWtoXrVL94T9OCzc7n9qDmLUltRxl3GIOUowhNzm3-nfiTT8UsABkUkQq85T0JTArsnm1LpE5_Kdk2t_gs89dY77SMwSET6_jtg27Z81oSzFfcsh9n-RSDzksFPihFTdaM48P15Wm4hpYyAcXiVguUyQEiUxa1Gx_nZq8fkUqEsGU7qaR2d1M9QxIbRiJYTmr4ux7gGzBqNLbtVzA9tab5MFm_kHWtLuB_DvYqawQPeaL6pkuvzXH-GMWORMc5d5IhX2CrRAjiveAOPatt7zjy15hlPDbxVFVKKAJtF5BbOnDyF6x1aNEv7OSKXQdNM7-Wva99CA0LFuUnutpK0iDkHXYBOz4hMQFokHb33PZkqgc-JqiMP4aLFZE_XUBgXa1z-RG7f2r5BXtoWrLS0NHneJVKOFTsB_VbRlCnEkLwqvuF_q_odc_LPKnwvHjiXCBGyV5kEBLhHvOILsVNqTj-f1uZ6pWPCNczmiJa2FM5vdeHauNkwRgPiRISrUx3u4NRJESV1k5v7HX5qvcRd_hUS8vk1Is-ygh4WH1JHFIG29UEc8TSebcgqdS1O2Gv_D2qhLU2VNRu_7opfetbwc4_WGFEsj3uIDnVAc7HQzJhsXPvmXTFXZcX-ZcGGJOZtGEbspBo6fQQwIn1vfGyQSOd1L9mDG64keI2Xn4OjrN9JxAVAOWAc1LN_T3zVkAOLKJbQxqjOMV7f5dOqUwaQzlZozmFZLYBaqmEcg5UV25Gw-0BkultRV0Uk72VWxnVevnD5nSFZQRRZnzexRyP_aRkxUlMAmuOUlzWkkdpErXxZwgw9ypQ1WT7lWRGh07L720nISXR9qSx2NGF_2HnTsJq1ADOx_-jiABMsM8emtEao0F-5VHFolXSCdRuZfSvaHP9XkOIx7xcAOJuCa40k0sYU=w1438-h1083-s-no?authuser=0

ADCreHfGVuPMvQVDFR-g-3PSOp4Tlm1E-vkwe5w_N2rdU4LjXjGMq4yJcqbKU9X2rmN4futj8ui_KyVNS1xEtTxmXENnKkDjvHC06ov_hrGk6JADkIcPAizFs4SQ89NDYFXZxrrXQhu_Xj-2itxqOAZHJX-KJ6CZO3VRLZA70KPgK6akvhyPk7BwzuTzRCXMoAWYirkyxD08QnhowJA_-DOSUbwi2WyTZsgaiTpUcaZBRLi5OY6errJOvKjHEoP5nRyvcltzug_3Hb3t-urIBnG-F_640mJ9bVuHDgmwKeQf0udzrNo5innKPFlCekrYZlcz0N_SJOEzF8nyWHqPPV3SgatA3ZId1oc0dAAyQ6j427PrUF6xV95IHSH4ROKWZDTVYbE69xHAqM81FM6bCdQH59dzKoM5kZahOOrvf9_rR3Ac7tn7vKRkyjc-5KnxN5WBOfmC0DXwOHp8dzZ6AqzfR_xQ3JY6HtMoyNU0r3qQyB87Ua_LNmLbV92INXRqmo3UtwcFEKATlcVQ49JQpZFJL3iIWO-jfvzFmtS0W9cGrlpNML-kwT14NSwKvZ4-siw_FjuL1QvJH5lc7z9edXfxScconaC2U-GOPTPgSe-bjOXO3Mj9xkWoobx7x7KQxpRelRkG-lbcVoXmoXlB7T5t0BeOrI6PcyFfeLNLhSPCJSNmcFHLVHiXi-64RNsgE7fj83wsdvhRMtaLKfh2AT-dvxFwIicB7SSy6F2gIqy8HJA0cqyCyABXnloC2tWJ5VEMUdF1Ww3MS_PZWpq18kwFZbGGfSJukTl3eAN-JR57Qf1VIpHJ2US-Xa9YL_HOzYwWWmoaMDZ8BnYqR3VLMSnJtRjREVw6pK70gVr1YEzKt8jvRHVEiev-dsKQEEh1egauRMW2r6gXTDiRZS6TJLIR0HvIzxU=w1438-h1083-s-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wilcal said:

Stopped by Jeni's this weekend and didn't realize that it had apartments in the back. So so cool! Has 6 studios and based on a listing I saw they dropped the price from $1,275 to $1,100 at some point.

Each of the apartments has one reserved spot in the parking lot. 

Yep! The apartments are called the Ice Cream Lofts. There is a post about it in this thread from earlier this year:

👇🏿👇🏿👇🏿👇🏿 

On 4/14/2023 at 9:46 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

5Si1y9E.png

6CEilyJ.png

Qsg3LNU.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 2:18 PM, hindesky said:

vUcqqV8.pngJxK2RTw.png

Below is more on the preservation of the house at 1731 Westheimer Rd. Jenni's Splendid Ice Creams now occupies the space. The following is from the media alert posted to Davis Commercial's website a few weeks ago:

The former Old Antique House building at 1719 Westheimer, now Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams flagship Houston location, was formally The Old Blue Antique Shop for decades.  In 2016 the New York Times wrote “you could spend a good while picking your way through the tiny, jam-packed rooms at Old Blue House Antiques, which offers everything from chunky silver cuff bracelets to sleek Murano glass and even the odd 19th-century cabinet bronze tucked into an old nightstand.”  Linda Mann, the owner of The Old Blue Antique Shop, relocated directly across the street next door to Agora Coffee Shop (1714 Westheimer Rd).

In order to make the redevelopments work, Davis faced some real challenges.  In order to meet city parking requirements, he had to acquire adjacent land parcels at over $100 psf.  Plus, to make the numbers pencil out, he constructed six micro-unit apartments adjacent to Jeni’s (now 100% occupied).  “This was a demanding project,” said Davis.  “With land costs so expensive, not only did we have to find tenants who could do the volumes to pay the rents, but also had to find a way to add building square footage to the smallish sites. Fortunately, Tim Cisneros did a fabulous and creative job of coming up with the micro-unit solution, which allowed things to make financial sense at the end of the day.”

https://davis-commercial.com/two-new-montrose-westheimer-retail-redevelopments-now-open-media-alert/