Montrose TIRZ

trymahjong

I found out that this plan could be expanded 1000 feet beyond the proposed boundaries-- Mandell street seems to be where it stops --so I wonder how much of the actual parking on Westheimer street itself might be involved. then of course what will those businesses think when/if that happens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big noisy meeting at Cherryhurst community Center last night concerning this

2things stick out to me as important

=> businesses have 1000 feet from their front door to have parking available instead of 200

=> emphasis will be placed on shared business parking- ultimately trying for multi-storied parking

• Like 2

1000 feet would be better but of course that would increase the parking amount. I wonder if they will be put through Houston's very strict parking standards or if there are alternates for if you institute shared parking? I have no clue and I'm quite curious to know.

• 1 year later...

......got this from a friend who attends the MMD meetings as an observer for Civic club.

At the Montrose Mgmt District (MMD) meeting today I was surprised to learn of the coming demise of the MMD. Two speakers made public comments:

The first was G**** A**** who complained to the board that they were dragging their feet in completing the verification of petitions given to them in May. According to an article of association of the MMD (article 50, I think he said), the District is dissolved when 75% of the businesses petition it to dissolve. A**** says he/they submitted petitions from almost 80% of business in the district. The Board hired the legal firm of Allen Boone Humphries Robinson (ABHR) to certify the petitions, and has not yet completed this!!! According to A**** this delay seems to be deliberate.

David Hawes with Hawes Hill Calderon LLP  said something about it takes time to be complete.

The second speaker was D***** S******* who also asked why certification was so delayed. She added that she receives many, many calls from other business owners who are angry at the Board and claim to receive no benefits from the MMD.

Afterward, David Hawes added that his firm is reviewing and categorizing every outstanding contract given by the MMD to determine how dissolution of the MMD impacts the termination of the contracts. Some contracts are short term or single service, while others are for ongoing services.

I think the idea is that some services and planning carried out by the MMD will be transferred to the TIRZ, including, I suppose, money in MMD accounts.

The City of Houston has requested Hawes to get the Montrose TIRZ up and running. The Boards & Commission is looking at a replacement TIRZ Chairman, one that selection is made a board meeting will be scheduled.
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Dear Community Stakeholder –

The Montrose Management District needs and requests your feedback. 

We want to make sure we are providing the best services we can for business owners, residents, and all those who work and play in the District. Please take our brief survey to let us know about your experience with District services and the Montrose neighborhood. If you leave us your email address, you will also be entered to win one of (4) $25 gift cards to a Montrose-area business to thank you for your time.

As always, we would appreciate it very much if you would share the link with your friends, colleagues and neighbors.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/montrosedistrictsurvey

To learn more about the District – www.MontroseDistrict.o

I wrote at how "Underwhelmed" the residents along Lovett blvd were concerning the improvements of the medians there-- Besides cutting down trees with out a permit and all that hardscape ( how does beautify?) that people stumble on-- the total look is so suburban. And Yet

again the plans for the medians from Buffalo Bayou to Mecom fountain are the same shtick :/

But maybe I should have asked about their proposed piece of public art to replace the M statue that was taken down 2 years ago... that Westheimer traffic study showed that small median at Bagby, Westheimer and Elgin as a Metro stop. Will those 2 things be possible on that small space?

I can hear the soapbox squeaking as I step up on it again but the whiff of sour grapes propels me to mention that the 11th hour is NOT the right time to whine about how unsuitable the results were from the lower Westheimer traffic study and the only way to fix it is the immediate intervention of the MMD ( and their valuable insight) :/---- really? Public input from ACTUAL residents isn't enough to give this study support?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This group made a presentation at Montrose TIRZ Zoom  last night. The Vice chair is Steve Madden but I didn’t catch the Chairman's name.

I’ve posted plenty on MMD in the past and considered my self a non business owner supporter. As an aside.....I never thought the MMD should be completely made up of business owners- there is a lot to be said for opinions and prospective of  non business owners- not the least of which is helping prevent tunnel vision.

Now I’m more than a little skeptical at the new lineup ( all appointed without any public input as far as I know) with their new goals.

A lack of transparency is always a red flag for me.......and I fear those red flags are everywhere.

• Like 2

Are there rules for how a TIRZ must be set up, and if so, who sets those rules? City, county, state?
Is the board appointed, or are they elected? And if so, by whom?
Is there a difference between the Montrose TIRZ and the Montrose Management District?

Are they the ones who commissioned a study on the walkability of Montrose + an action plan to fix the parts in disrepair?

Well, it seems like the article has been written about this and it contains some interesting soundbites: 

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/development/2020/08/18/after-legal-resolution-montrose-management-district-takes-steps-toward-comeback/

Oh? It sounds like they may be able to help with those questions in the other thread about the Montrose pedestrian study and implementation of the study and the suggested bike/walking improvements. "Madden’s letter stated that upon reinstatement, the district will better leverage the economic growth in the neighborhood from upcoming developments that are outpacing city-led improvements to the area’s infrastructure hampered by Houston’s budgetary constraints."

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, HouTXRanger said:

Are there rules for how a TIRZ must be set up, and if so, who sets those rules? City, county, state?
Is the board appointed, or are they elected? And if so, by whom?
Is there a difference between the Montrose TIRZ and the Montrose Management District?

Are they the ones who commissioned a study on the walkability of Montrose + an action plan to fix the parts in disrepair?

I am no means an expert.....just one of the residents that contributed to getting the East Montrose management district established. But I did show up at every meeting for a year or two.

Montrose Management District doesn’t have as much over sight as Montrose TIRZ. The State enacted laws to set up TiRZs and COH has oversight. 

MMD gets an “Assessment” of $100 per appraisal value of $100,000.00of businesses within the management district.  TIRZ receives the portion of tax “over” the cap.

At the beginning, Montrose TIRHz and MMD worked together on projects,,  That walkability study for instance.

,,,,but after the “Big No-No that got them into trouble MMD was dissolved. NowI guess MMD wants back in.

I suppose that is a good idea, but I would rethink using the same ole road map as last time- a new road map is needed, Everything and Everybody should be new IMO.

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Even with all the hubbub of Hurricane Laura.... there is quite a bit of back and forth conversation about the resurrection of the MMD. Not surprisingly NONE of it is positive.

Lots of questions on why the appointments to the board seemingly were done in secret. [ wasn’t  non transparency what got them in trouble before?]. Speaking of trouble.......the same team that “administered” MMD into trouble will be the administrators again. Also as an aside.......just how many of the MMD board members actually live within Montrose.....business ownership  aside...I mean how many deal with day to day life within Montrose? Big resentments when “outsiders” tell you they know what is best for the area you reside in and they don’t 

Lastly, Councilwoman Kamin  was asked to name the chairman of MMD and deflected the question twice. Maybe  MMD wasn’t on Councilwoman Kamins  radar when all All the &#$% was flying around and sticking on them—— She should really put a laser focus on MMD now.

Sigh......so having a good guy as Vice Chairman is a nice start but remaking MMD into A clone of what is was with the Doo-doo  smell still lingering.....not so nice.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Is Montrose Management District Up And Running?
  • 3 weeks later...

The new Montrose Management District will speak at Neartown zoom June 28.

full disclosure I attend these monthly zooms but still can’t find out the name of the current president of MMD

I am worried about lack of transparency to the point, it will probably take a leap of faith for me to support this group going forward—Plus I figure “I” am their target audience— long time resident, always looking for best for Montrose etc. But the new residents who know nothing of the past and can’t understand why transparency is so important—not what?

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Montrose TIRZ
  • 2 weeks later...

All the “hoopla” concerning Mayor Turning and the awards for affordable housing money has been a blow to the Montrose TIRZ.

Since it’s establishment the Montrose TIRZ seems to legitimately prioritize finding affordable housing options within its boundaries. Perhaps it is known that some well known other TIRZ establish their required affordable housing outside their boundaries.

The first TIRZ proposal for affordable was to purchase and rehab the older ( perhaps even historic) smaller ( 8plex) buildings you see around Montrose. So Homeownership would be  affordable ( Actually perhaps viewed as entry level ownership whose target person ranged from waiters working within Montrose to police, school teachers etc.) and rehab work could begin quickly.

That proposal was shot down by COH- only new construction was permissible.

Remembering that Montrose is a physically small area and NIMBY occurs everywhere; the TIRZ looked to new construction; getting the most ‘bang for their buck’ with new grant  monies found,  300+- units at $40k +- each was worked out.

uh-oh Mayor Turner shot that down personally.

The monies went elsewhere….less units…more expensive elsewhere

Montrose has a huge PR myth of being a wealthy place….but if you live here you understand it’s not a place of BIG money.
After 17 years here, my observation  is: Montrose has crap roads, Crap sidewalks, dicey water  pressure and sewer dependability.  The rents ( by non resident  propertyowners)  have skyrocketed .  Community support people , cashiers, servers, line cooks  even police and school teachers can’t afford the price. Plus it’s not that the rental price will guarantee an updated rental….sometimes the places available to rent are in same condition they were 10 years ago with no timely upkeep. Why is it so hard to believe Montrose deserves its share of money grants to help out the residents and workers? I attend a myriad of community meetings where the goal is just that plain and simple. Getting the ax from Mayor Turner with his  $&+@ reasoning is just so hard to accept. I am unacquainted with GLO investigation abilities but am hoping beyond hope that the truth of this situation is uncovered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Perhaps it is known that some well known other TIRZ establish their required affordable housing outside their boundaries.

Could this be a reference to the unholy alliance between the Midtown TIRZ and the 3rd Ward (the portion well outside of Midtown)?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thought I would share a little something that seemed strange during Montrose TIRZ zoom last Monday.

COH brought up an ‘amended’ proposal for the improvements to lower Westheimer.  Does anyone remember how long COH hosted community input. Or how a special committee was set up to bring all that input into a workable proposal?  the short video produced that gave everyone an idea of how those proposal ideas might be put together and what the improvements would look like?

Then Hurricane Harvey happened and the fully  funded Lower Westheimer improvements were attached to the unfunded remaining Westheimer road proposed improvements…….and seemingly forgotten.

COH must have had selected memory of the community input and the work  of that special committee …….

COH proposal seemed like a vague attempt to reproduce Alabamas 3 lane set up - freshly painted lane designations but no real”improvements” at all. Comments brought up about all that community input as well actual improvements proposals such as curb cuts for Metro bus stops and wider sidewalks seemed to baffle the presenter. It was very strange.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Thought I would share a little something that seemed strange during Montrose TIRZ zoom last Monday.

COH brought up an ‘amended’ proposal for the improvements to lower Westheimer.  Does anyone remember how long COH hosted community input. Or how a special committee was set up to bring all that input into a workable proposal?  the short video produced that gave everyone an idea of how those proposal ideas might be put together and what the improvements would look like?

Then Hurricane Harvey happened and the fully  funded Lower Westheimer improvements were attached to the unfunded remaining Westheimer road proposed improvements…….and seemingly forgotten.

COH must have had selected memory of the community input and the work  of that special committee …….

COH proposal seemed like a vague attempt to reproduce Alabamas 3 lane set up - freshly painted lane designations but no real”improvements” at all. Comments brought up about all that community input as well actual improvements proposals such as curb cuts for Metro bus stops and wider sidewalks seemed to baffle the presenter. It was very strange.

Wow that's a bit concerning if there is that big of a disconnect with what was presented and proposed originally. What ever happened to the proposed pedestrian improvements by Kamin across from the Whole Foods in Midtown? Getting rid of that turn lane, etc. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

On 12/15/2021 at 8:46 AM, trymahjong said:

COH must have had selected memory of the community input and the work  of that special committee ……

COH also was indifferent to supposed "community input" on whether the Spur 527 should be rebuilt after it was taken out of commission. 
My recollection is that there wasn't much time or publicity given for opportunities to respond. Even so, some well thought-out alternatives were presented, and promptly ignored by the COH.  And we're stuck with that concrete dinosaur for another 50 or so years.
These alterations to a workable plan seem unnecessary, unless their desire is to add insult to injury.
My question; who's behind this indifference to the desires of the people most affected by these changes?
Is it all of City Council, or just Mayor Turner?

• Like 2

Oh my……..that does smack  of “ the left hand not knowing what right hand is doing”

and at whose feet should we place accountability?

I guess you can keep a score card of who was in power before Hurricane Harvey and who was in power after…….?

for my own $0.002

There is this huge stumbling block that COH just can’t seem to understand. Public input.

”public input”  what is it about a knee jerk first step of COH to get public input?

Because  Ithink I know who wants to help COH out when the call goes out for “public input”

It’s the people most affected by what COH is trying to propose! Those living day  to day 24/7  365 a year in area  to be  affected by proposals such as lower Westheimer Improvements, the 527 on ramp any the right hand turn lane off Bagby onto Westheimer?

yup —— those living physically close to those proposals.

That just seems a very simple truth— if you live right on top of what is being changed… you probably can give a response that covers both the “ big picture” of what’s likely to happen as well as a nuanced response to what is likely.

IMO opinion the longer you have lived there the better response you’ll be able to share. I think this holds true no matter what education or experience or bias people spotlight on you. It’s just the luck of the draw. You live there, you get a lot of up close and personal experience when it comes to public input— people living close by give  good input.

But time after time, that public input, from those most likely to have personal experiences with it ……..is ignored.

COH has a plan-COH hopes community input endorses  that plan. But with the community it’s about “ hope” and community input will strengthen that “hope”.

But many times public input doesn’t endorse COH and is ignored……..Hope tarnishes and community skepticism of COH grows.

again in my own personal experience of 20 years here……..ignoring that public input turns out to be @#!&…..proposals get altered…..times passes but communities have long memories of COH missteps……still COH decides again to seek public input.

I thought generally you   learn from experience…………..but…………

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

COH also was indifferent to supposed "community input" on whether the Spur 527 should be rebuilt after it was taken out of commission. 
My recollection is that there wasn't much time or publicity given for opportunities to respond. Even so, some well thought-out alternatives were presented, and promptly ignored by the COH.  And we're stuck with that concrete dinosaur for another 50 or so years.
These alterations to a workable plan seem unnecessary, unless their desire is to add insult to injury.
My question; who's behind this indifference to the desires of the people most affected by these changes?
Is it all of City Council, or just Mayor Turner?

Turner killed it after getting feedback from a few businesses in Midtown. Planning and HPW were completely on-board.

1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

Oh my……..that does smack  of “ the left hand not knowing what right hand is doing”

and at whose feet should we place accountability?

I guess you can keep a score card of who was in power before Hurricane Harvey and who was in power after…….?

for my own $0.002

There is this huge stumbling block that COH just can’t seem to understand. Public input.

”public input”  what is it about a knee jerk first step of COH to get public input?

Because  Ithink I know who wants to help COH out when the call goes out for “public input”

It’s the people most affected by what COH is trying to propose! Those living day  to day 24/7  365 a year in area  to be  affected by proposals such as lower Westheimer Improvements, the 527 on ramp any the right hand turn lane off Bagby onto Westheimer?

yup —— those living physically close to those proposals.

That just seems a very simple truth— if you live right on top of what is being changed… you probably can give a response that covers both the “ big picture” of what’s likely to happen as well as a nuanced response to what is likely.

IMO opinion the longer you have lived there the better response you’ll be able to share. I think this holds true no matter what education or experience or bias people spotlight on you. It’s just the luck of the draw. You live there, you get a lot of up close and personal experience when it comes to public input— people living close by give  good input.

But time after time, that publiccinput, from those most likely to have personal experiences with it ……..is ignored.

COH has a plan-COH hopes community input endorses  that plan. But with the community it’s about “ hope” and community input will strengthen that “hope”.

But many times public input doesn’t endorse COH and is ignored……..Hope tarnishes and community skepticism of COH grows.

again in my own personal experience of 20 years here……..ignoring that public input turns out to be @#!&…..proposals get altered…..times passes but communities have long memories of COH missteps……still COH decides again to seek public input.

I thought generally you   learn from experience…………..but…………

Lower Westheimer was never happening without a matching grant from HGAC. The reason why it was only half funded was because HGAC grants require a local match.

Supposedly, at any point, HGAC is getting ready to put out another call for projects, so I'm sure they are dusting off the Lower Westheimer plans to get them ready for resubmission. Evidently METRO is not happy with the way the bus stops were done in the old plan. 

As far as soliciting community input, it is a double-edged sword because the people that participate don't necessarily make up the entire community. This has gotten better with digital input. Community input works best for things like minor design changes, but not for the core design of things. Lower Westheimer right-of-way is only so large, so it isn't like there are really many options to begin with. 

• Like 2

On 12/15/2021 at 8:46 AM, trymahjong said:

So... what has changed?

• Like 2