Demolished: 509 & 517 Louisiana St.

Urbannizer

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought those buildings were quite nice. However, even if I thought they were just mediocre, they'd still be a power-ball winnings better than a surface parking lot.

It may not be much, but I'd stayed in and enjoyed the restaurant in The Lancaster since I was a teen. Probably been 20+ times. I'll never set foot in it again.

OMG.png

^^^ wow cloud713... seriously???

Yeah..? I was going to ask you the same about saying "oh well", as if you simply shrugged your shoulders and continued about your business. Unfortunately time travel doesn't exist, so we can't go back in time and build more old/historic buildings. There are only so many left...

Yeah..? I was going to ask you the same about saying "oh well", as if you simply shrugged your shoulders and continued about your business. Unfortunately time travel doesn't exist, so we can't go back in time and build more old/historic buildings. There are only so many left...

Its%20raining%20cats%20and%20dogs%20toda

^^^ saying "oh well" vs utilizing complete obscenities on HAIF for which i am a bit SURPRISED that our MIGHTY MODS haven't counseled you upon... are all-together different.  don't even try and compare them my pal.  apparently your once formidable "cloud713" is starting to spring some very serious leaks... 

I'm springing leaks because I'm speaking my mind about the destruction of a historic building on an architecture forum..? Sorry you were offended by that word.. Admittedly I normally keep it to the "curse" words not filtered, but I felt those words weren't enough to express my displeasure for the situation.

Oh, and the mods probably haven't said anything because they feel the same way as I do?

Can anyone walking by see how many layers thick the brick wall was? Would have made a great little wine shop once the downtown population shot up in a few years. Kind of understated from the outside and dimly lit, exposed brick walls on the interior...

Looks like about 4, though the part above the door where I was trying to count might have a concrete beam about the same thickness as a course of bricks in there too.

I'm springing leaks because I'm speaking my mind about the destruction of a historic building on an architecture forum..? Sorry you were offended by that word.. Admittedly I normally keep it to the "curse" words not filtered, but I felt those words weren't enough to express my displeasure for the situation.

Oh, and the mods probably haven't said anything because they feel the same way as I do?

We should be friends. I am agreeing with you on every level with this. I'm disgusted by the Lancaster

There's just some sort of disconnect now, maybe the latest gen of family? The hotel has been continuously run by the family since the beginning, was renamed in the early 1980s (anyone know the why or what of the name Lancaster?), and then boutiqued-up. To give the notorious and tired "deferred maintenance" line for the neighboring buildings is downright insulting.

Swamplot gives the buildings a nice send off with some history

http://swamplot.com/teardown-in-progress-on-those-2-century-old-louisiana-st-buildings-being-demolished-for-lancaster-parking-space/2016-01-12/

But the two buildings were constructed in 1906, and earlier in their 100 years also witnessed the development of the surrounding area from red light district to the highbrow and lowbrow entertainment hotspot anchored by the nearby City Auditorium (one block south, where Jones Hall now stands).

Rice architectural historian Stephen Fox writes that the hotel “had never been one of the city’s more notable hostelries” until its 1983 transformation into the Lancaster — a repurposing he termed “an intelligent act of conservation that is too rare in Houston.” All three properties are still owned by DeGeorge’s decendants.

It's really is a sad/angering day when this crap continues to happen in Houston. I hope the tide continues to change and our citizens respond to business' with their wallets. There is no power like the all mighty dollar. I will tell all my friends and family to take their money to any other hotel but the Lancaster and incourage other to do the same.

I doubt that any elections will turn on a candidate's position regarding preservation laws around here in the near future in either direction. It would be interesting to see exactly how much the disinterested public cares about the issue and what argument they find persuasive. But then again, the disinterested public finds click bait and Kardashians persuasive, so whoever won that debate would likely have to win for the wrong reason.

I doubt that any elections will turn on a candidate's position regarding preservation laws around here in the near future in either direction. It would be interesting to see exactly how much the disinterested public cares about the issue and what argument they find persuasive. But then again, the disinterested public finds click bait and Kardashians persuasive, so whoever won that debate would likely have to win for the wrong reason.

No, elections won't turn on it, but at the same time, coming out in favor of preservation isn't a bad way for a candidate to win the support of inner loop constituencies. This helped get Annise Parker move up the ranks into office, and the public was interested enough to drive the first serious preservation laws in Houston's history during her term, including solid protection for the whole Main Street/Market Square district (roughly everything from Milam to Fannin, north of Texas and south of the bayou). This cost some political capital as she admitted, but that was 5 years ago and the reserves are replenishing... now it is simply a matter of the planning department being able to give Protected Landmark designation to buildings outside of historic districts.

Because social media hasn't already shown its power to change status quo in the world? Did you think this sounded smart in your head before you posted it?

Eff off, troll.

I guess you have to see the show to understand the post. You're taking it too literally. 

Archived