Residential At 2223 North Main St.

IamHouston

Hey guys, long time stalker, first time contributor here. If I'm doing this wrong go easy on me..

Anyway, anyone heard of this before? Noticed construction the other day while biking home. Did some research and found this. 

http://www.higbieplanroom.com/plans.php?job=98&jobName=2223+North+Main

Should be a decent compliment to Avenue Station if they can actually get the spaces leased out to desirable retail. The building has potential to be something good. Right in front of the rail stop so it has some exposure I suppose. Not sure how it'll do, especially since retail on this strip of N Main has always been so bad and pretty much vacant for some years now. 

That part of North Main is infested with homeless people, alcoholics, and drug addicts. I know I used the word infested but I don't mean it to be derogatory. It does pose problems for retail and development because they won't be going anywhere with that church there. It's going to take a while for that area to change but I welcome any would be investors. That building used to rent out to a daycare though which was always odd to me. 

That part of North Main is infested with homeless people, alcoholics, and drug addicts. I know I used the word infested but I don't mean it to be derogatory. It does pose problems for retail and development because they won't be going anywhere with that church there. It's going to take a while for that area to change but I welcome any would be investors. That building used to rent out to a daycare though which was always odd to me. 

Don't worry, infested is the correct word. I'd say it feels like more of the homeless from downtown have come to this area, and I don't actually have a problem with homeless people in general but just based on all the incidents I've heard of, these aren't exactly model homeless people, if I can even use that expression. And most of the businesses in this area are livid and even blame the police (I hear it in the superneighborhood meetings). The police told the community that they can't prevent people from walking and sitting along North Main. I'd say now it's turned into large groups huddled near the Salvation Army shelter. And what's worse are the crack addicts that go underneath the N Main bridge at Little White Oak Bayou.

That part of North Main is infested with homeless people, alcoholics, and drug addicts. I know I used the word infested but I don't mean it to be derogatory. It does pose problems for retail and development because they won't be going anywhere with that church there.

I've done a couple of driving tours through the neighborhood, trying to size up properties. If it were possible, I'd like to get in on the ground floor before the neighborhood changes over and becomes too expensive to live in.

I'm not sure where the homeless are all going to go, but they're going to go somewhere; I've seen other clusters around the Sears on Main Street.

I have drove around here and thought about the area a lot also. I don't have that high of hopes for this neighborhood's future.  A good leading indicator to me is the presence of "cool" new startups.  In pretty sketchy areas east of downtown you have some really talented people opening up some really great places (Doshi, Moontower, Andes, etc.) by taking advantage of cheaper rents.  Same thing happened in the Heights years back and continues today on some of its edges. In this area however... there is nothing so far that I am aware of that would indicate a positive direction.  The Pegstar development might help send the area in a better direction but I think it might be too isolated to really make a difference.  

I have drove around here and thought about the area a lot also. I don't have that high of hopes for this neighborhood's future.  A good leading indicator to me is the presence of "cool" new startups.  In pretty sketchy areas east of downtown you have some really talented people opening up some really great places (Doshi, Moontower, Andes, etc.) by taking advantage of cheaper rents.  Same thing happened in the Heights years back and continues today on some of its edges. In this area however... there is nothing so far that I am aware of that would indicate a positive direction.  The Pegstar development might help send the area in a better direction but I think it might be too isolated to really make a difference.  

Very isolated. Won't even be on the same side of the creek as the rest of Northside.

I feel really bad saying this and I am usually the last person to feel this heartless but the main detractor for the area is the homeless shelter. Perhaps because many of these downtown projects are taking their original hang-outs, it feels like the amount of homeless in this area is growing substantially. There are frequent reports of local businesses calling in to get homeless people removed from their own parking lots and Pegstar is severely incorrect in thinking that anyone would want to walk from the light rail station to their upcoming concert hall. The light rail station does not feel safe, especially since Metro police do not have a constant police car parked at the nearby gas station anymore.

I think it'll take a few years for sure. But all indications that the area is slowly changing are still there. I live in the Heights and have considered selling and moving into the area (missed the window there maybe to really capitalize on it). Call me crazy but the homeless don't scare me. I know a few of them by name (I bike through here quite often), and while some obviously have issues (mental and drugs), some are just down on their luck. I've been volunteering off and on with Avenue CDC in Northside for years now, it's been cool seeing quite a few of the homeless pick themselves up and get back on track with their lives. Also it's obvious the chunk of the neighborhood is mainly low income Hispanic immigrants (like washington ave/heights was for years). The community is pretty hard working and regularly attend Avenue CDC's meetings. The multi-family housing in the area that ACDC has built are not easy to qualify for (the tenants and communities are pretty cool and crime is very low within the complexes) and most of the single family homes built by ACDC are being bought by young professionals with average incomes of 50-70k (which some may consider middle class). The area is still rough, but I guess since I grew up an inner city kid and I've been kind of involved with the community, I'm used to seeing it the way it is. It's just Houston to me.

I like the area and do have hopes for it, if anyone is looking to buy on this side of 45, just do your research. There are definitely pockets that are nicer than others, and developing areas. Nothing on the scale of Brookesmith or EaDo. But they're there. And only growing. Albeit it be slowly.

Also if you guys are ever in the area stop by KLS Cycles, the bike shop on N Main and Gargan. The guys are cool and do some great maintenance work. Not a large gallery of bikes for sale but still a cool place. Pretty hipster though, if that's not your thing. I forget the owners name, but very down to earth and knowledgeable. 

Very isolated. Won't even be on the same side of the creek as the rest of Northside.

I feel really bad saying this and I am usually the last person to feel this heartless but the main detractor for the area is the homeless shelter. Perhaps because many of these downtown projects are taking their original hang-outs, it feels like the amount of homeless in this area is growing substantially. There are frequent reports of local businesses calling in to get homeless people removed from their own parking lots and Pegstar is severely incorrect in thinking that anyone would want to walk from the light rail station to their upcoming concert hall. The light rail station does not feel safe, especially since Metro police do not have a constant police car parked at the nearby gas station anymore.

Also Triton I've been meaning to ask you, since you're familiar with the area, if you know the name of the art studio/gallery that opened about 5 months ago in the warehouse on Hardy and Burnett. It's south of Burnett, not the yellow warehouse but the one behind it. I can't find an address nor the name on any maps. I stopped by it on their opening night can't remember what it's called for the life of me. It was a great show and drew a good crowd. Much better than the Up! studio around the corner from here. 

• 4 months later...

Triton did you notice the warehouse directly next to it's left is also being remodeled? They have yet to touch the outside of it (other than the rolling metal shutters they installed to secure the equipment they're keeping inside) but they've gutted it already. Looking forward to see what will come of this whole block facing N Main. 

Triton did you notice the warehouse directly next to it's left is also being remodeled? They have yet to touch the outside of it (other than the rolling metal shutters they installed to secure the equipment they're keeping inside) but they've gutted it already. Looking forward to see what will come of this whole block facing N Main. 

I realize that several areas of the Northside, especially the ones closet to I-45, have passed minimum lot size requirements, but all of these plats that I've circled are planned townhomes for the Northside that are about to start. Again, I think the ones in the upper left are out of the question and there was a battle between the developer and the residences.... the developer lost that one but I have been told he'll try to build large single family homes instead.

19047119924_f43835951b_b.jpg

PlatTracker Northside by Marc longoria, on Flickr

Also, to answer your question... no, I did not. 

The northwest corner of Quitman and Keene also has some homes coming up. Two of them by Revolution Homes. There were two built next door a few years back and I guess they are just now going to finish out the "subdivision". I saw they are getting ready to lay the slab foundation. There are also these on Morris and Fletcher that are almost completed and just hit the market. Same developer. http://houstonarea.har.com/369-morris-st/sale_46291896

I realize that several areas of the Northside, especially the ones closet to I-45, have passed minimum lot size requirements, but all of these plats that I've circled are planned townhomes for the Northside that are about to start. Again, I think the ones in the upper left are out of the question and there was a battle between the developer and the residences.... the developer lost that one but I have been told he'll try to build large single family homes instead.

19047119924_f43835951b_b.jpg

PlatTracker Northside by Marc longoria, on Flickr

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Residential At 2223 North Main St.

Archived