29 members have voted

1. 1. H A I F meetup - when and where?

• Downtown - weeknight
    • Downtown - weekend
    • Midtown - weeknight
    • Midtown - weekend
    • Montrose - weeknight
    • Montrose - weekend

maybe slick willies at bayou place?? how bout that place. i totally forgot about it, but went there throught college, but don't know if it's still open......

but like someone stated it'll be good to have options to play pool, talk, etc...

what do u guys think??

I would call 1st to make sure Slick's is still there and then maybe push out the grouping event 2 weeks out? There is a big Sand Castle contest this weekend in Galveston so some will be there.

Just a suggestion :mellow:

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would call 1st to make sure Slick's is still there and then maybe push out the grouping event 2 weeks out? There is a big Sand Castle contest this weekend in Galveston so some will be there.

Just a suggestion :mellow:

looks like they r still open

http://slickw.com/sites/houston/560texas.htm

i was thinking june 8?? yup sandcastle is huuuuge and i'll be there :) we have to beat gensler!! it's a personal revenge of ours, LOL

i was thinking june 8?? yup sandcastle is huuuuge and i'll be there :) we have to beat gensler!! it's a personal revenge of ours, LOL

What firm are ya competing with ? Who is Gensler's archrival?

I havent been in a few years, but I plan on making it down this year.

What firm are ya competing with ? Who is Gensler's archrival?

I havent been in a few years, but I plan on making it down this year.

hi highway, well i think a lot of firms are gensler's archrival, LOL but i only mean it in a jokingly manner :)

u know how it is all archi's know other archi's.

since i graduated from U of H i know peeps at many firms. i have friends at Kendall-Heaton, Morris, Kirksey, Gensler (but there's one guy there we dont care for, lol), studio red, hok, psp, and more. geez i didn't realize how spread out we are, but it's always good to keep ur connections cuz u never know when u'll need a favor.

i recently quit my last job and was able to get another one very quickly just cuz i knew ppl and they were able to get me in. i didn't even have to update my resume or even show work i've done. they just said oh u know so and so? they say ur good and have worked on so and so projects....welcome aboard! can't beat that :D

so highway are u a registered arhitect?? u def. have to make it out to one of the haif meet and greets. it's always good for us archi's to expand our network :)

What Galveston needs is a Dick's on the Sea Wall, now you're talking the place to be. The Alamo City has one and so does Big D, what's up with that? The one @ Myrtle Beach is the Sheeit hands down. Never a dull moment. For all you youngsters out the thinking about getting married and have prospective stuff shirt in-laws, take them to Dick's on the river-walk in San Antonio, and find out what they are really made of. The looks on their faces when the waiter walks up and says, "What in the F@#k do you want?" is priceless. My daughter Lindsay is engaged to a boy from NYC and his folks live up in the Hampton's. First time I met them up there, I knew they were candidates for Dick's. You want to talk about the most fun I have had in a long time, by the forth round of Patr

What Galveston needs is a Dick's on the Sea Wall, now you're talking the place to be. The Alamo City has one and so does Big D, what's up with that? The one @ Myrtle Beach is the Sheeit hands down. Never a dull moment. For all you youngsters out the thinking about getting married and have prospective stuff shirt in-laws, take them to Dick's on the river-walk in San Antonio, and find out what they are really made of. The looks on their faces when the waiter walks up and says, "What in the F@#k do you want?" is priceless. My daughter Lindsay is engaged to a boy from NYC and his folks live up in the Hampton's. First time I met them up there, I knew they were candidates for Dick's. You want to talk about the most fun I have had in a long time, by the forth round of Patr

I don't know, our design is pretty clever. I just got my shirt today. What lot are you in Texas Architect? We are going up Friday and a bunch of us younger peeps got a beach house together in Pirate's.

June 8 might work.

I don't know, our design is pretty clever. I just got my shirt today. What lot are you in Texas Architect? We are going up Friday and a bunch of us younger peeps got a beach house together in Pirate's.

June 8 might work.

what do u mean what lot am i in??? i'll be in the winning lot........LOL :P

going on friday night huh. y'all are dedicated.

i was going to do that but instead will be heading up there early and staying there the night. a friend of mine is friends with some pediatrist that owns a beach house there. the doc was nice enough to lend it to us B)

alright guys so what do u say, 06-08-07 slicks for all u who want to either

friday.gif or handshake.gif or blah.gif .......biggthumpup.gif

rules:

no disrespecting slick's property

no disrespecting other haif members or other patrons

drink responsibly

and when leaving it would be good for haif members not to leave alone. u never know, these days it's always good to have an extra person in case u need some fight.giflol

ok so who all is in??

• 7 months later...
You mean the Happy Days Lounge? I've thought the same thing. "Skeevy" comes to mind, but then I've clocked time in some pretty nasty bars. They often have the door open and from 45 you can see a pool table and a big screen tv.

time for another HAIF gathering?

time for another HAIF gathering?
lol, I was thinking it, you said it..... All 3 people who would not be afraid to go in that place! A cozy little drink-off with HAIF's more intrepid characters.

Count me in - sounds worth checking out :)

I can arrange for a gathering at my friends place. We can do it during happy hour so the old folks don't get run off by that confounded hip hop and pop music. We can take control of the jukebox early and play as much of whatever you want as possible. Have the kids that come in later listening to Phil Collins and Jim Croce all night.

I can also line up some drink specials and some catering, so let me know when you guys want to do it. The place is in Rice Village off Bissonett, has shuffle board, pool table, a deck, bunch of TVs (it is a sports bar), great juke box (downloads stuff it doesn't have when you search for something" and even beer-pong for the adventurous.

Don't forget the spiritual enlightenment part by way of the Bodhi Society! I am actually really interested in the Bodhi's Zen Garden restaurant, too.

choose the day sevfiv, i'm sure a few adventurers would attend. if it sux yall can come over cause i live close.

choose the day sevfiv, i'm sure a few adventurers would attend. if it sux yall can come over cause i live close.

I went there tonight with a friend. The food reflects the philosophy quite well; the best descriptor I could think of would be "modest". I'm not normally a tofu-eating kind of guy, and honestly this didn't exactly rock my world so as that I might change that. In fact, the truth is that most westerners will likely have difficulty appreciating it, even though some of the flavors are true to their geographic origin.

The structure itself (and the restaurant and lounge are off to the side of the angular orange roof) has a sort of musk that makes you wonder at first whether cleanliness may be an issue, but I was made more confident once the husband and wife that own the combined hotel, lounge, restaurant, and temple gathered dinner from the buffet and sat down for dinner. As I ate and surveyed the surroundings, I became more comfortable.

The wife, interviewed for the Chronicle article, was very polite. At the end, she ensured that the meal was satisfactory and then gave us the introduction to the whole zen concept of the restaurant. Apparently she'd tried doing a restaurant about ten years ago but couldn't make the business work, and she's hoping that this attempt will be more successful. If you get easily perturbed by people talking about their philosophy, this probably isn't the place for you. But it is a great place for the curious, even if you know in advance that you aren't going to go too deep. They are nothing if not respectful.

They prepared for us a couple of gift bags with some literature and a CD of lectures by a zen master, which I readily accepted on account of that, frankly, the same Doors CD has been in my player for two months now and I really needed a change.

They are open Monday through Saturday from 11AM to 8PM. The Dinner Special is $7.25, and the buffet is $8.99. The Lunch Special is $5.25, and the lunch buffet is $6.99.

My companion was not the sort that would readily set foot in the Happy Days Lounge, so I wasn't able to check that out. Looks like a total dive, so I'm looking forward to my next visit (or the HAIF event).

Very interesting. After a dinner of bone-in Kansas City strip, medium rare, and some tasty vodka, I'm probably not the best person to contemplate the Eastern ways. Thanks, Niche, for doing some important exploratory work for us. Maybe I'll pop in on the Happy Days this weekend.

Maybe Saturday? I'd try dinner before 8, then Happy Days after...

Is this unofficially official? :)

Archived