Sign in to follow this  
Urbannizer

City View Terrace I & II: 336-Unit Multifamily with Retail in EaDo

You guys are right! Lot is completely fenced off now.

14468927133_371a26dcdc_h.jpg

2014-06-17 19.38.14 by marclongoria, on Flickr

GHJ Construction Inc. It's a Beijing company... looking at their portfolio, they work on HUGE projects. Maybe this is the 80-story----- Nah, just kidding.  ;)  :lol:

14262110119_3844da721b_h.jpg

2014-06-17 19.10.33 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Random but I don't know if anyone ever posted a picture of this...

14468929673_1fa04e04d3_h.jpg

2014-06-17 19.13.22 by marclongoria, on Flickr

• Like 5

Kirksey signs up on the fence for that lot. Signs of hope that this is moving forward?

I went by this lot yesterday. Still no activity and I'm surprised we haven't seen anything on the web yet. This is just an opinion, but I think this project will be bigger than we think. Anyone take a look at the projects that GHJ has done? They are huge. Plus, Gensler is the architect firm? I don't know... this could just be a multi-family unit but I smell a tower. Again, just a total guess and I haven't heard anything in the backend channels.

Edited by Triton

I went by this lot yesterday. Still no activity and I'm surprised we haven't seen anything on the web yet. This is just an opinion, but I think this project will be bigger than we think. Anyone take a look at the projects that GHJ has done? They are huge. Plus, Gensler is the architect firm? I don't know... this could just be a multi-family unit but I smell a tower. Again, just a total guess and I haven't heard anything in the backend channels.

If your speculation came to fruition, I think It would be great! It would be amazing, actually. Anything above 10 or 12 stores would be utterly brilliant.

We shall see......

Now's probably a good time to detail the journey of this site and Dan Nip's plans... starting around 2007 going forward.

This seems like it could be an old/outdated/or dead project since it still mentions mayor Brown, but it has renderings of Discovery Tower and OPP and mentions a May 2009 purchase.

Anyone know anything else about this?

http://www.globalcenturydev.com/files/HoustonHB5.pdf (this file is separate and does not include the images below...it's for marketing)

med_gallery_723_64_46727.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_139676.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_20766.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_34928.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_34487.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_89459.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_39961.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_58485.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_52859.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_6586.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_101802.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_28327.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_40954.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_31069.jpg

med_gallery_723_64_24848.jpg

To this Convention Center Hotel bid in 2012...

Seems like the GRB master plan renderings accurately reflect the 59 convention hotel:

1327687228981.png

The company developing it updating their pdf of the project:

Now TWO city blocks instead of three

1327691786042.png

New rendering with connecting bridge to GRB

1327691907450.png

Biggest "news" is they want to break ground in Q1 of this year!

edit, also found this info:

http://www.americare.../Houston-RC.php

project pdf: http://goo.gl/oy61R

Wow the recession was actually kind enough to spare us the piece of crap that was the first idea for that area. My lord would that have been a disaster! That was ugly as sin...

• Like 2

Residential. The design has always been a little mediocre, but I dig the new high rise status..

OK - just to get clarity on this... the picture above that says "Hotel" would be the same design for the residential units?

OK - just to get clarity on this... the picture above that says "Hotel" would be the same design for the residential units?

That is a quoted post from 2012 broseph, old plans.
  • Like 1

That is a quoted post from 2012 broseph, old plans.

haha, so much confusion. My bad.

I wonder if this is stucco or if they will make it brick.

That's merely a setting change in Sketchup to just show colors instead of texture. I'm about 85% sure that is brick.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

The joint venture also plans to apply for any applicable city tax incentives, including the Downtown Living Initiative, which gives tax breaks of up to $15,000 per multifamily unit built in downtown Houston.

Uhhhhh.... this is downtown?

• Like 2

They can request an exception I suppose. The worst the City can do is say "no." I don't think it would be granted, but given that there are only 45 remaining unit credits, the developer just might argue those would be best spent catalyzing a development very near Downtown in an area without much multifamily. Unfortunately, I am not sure what would have to happen procedurally for an exception to be made.

Huge improvement, but isn't this in the path of the I-45 realignment?

• Like 1

Wow! But what fkp5 said...

What's the likelihood they buy a nearby property not in the alignment ROW to build on instead? I'm sure they'd get reimbursed for this plot of land for the i45 ROW

Edited by cloud713

Wow, a possible H&M as well. Also, is that Chicago in the background? A lot of our projects for some reason don't seem to want to use backgrounds of Houston in their renderings.

Edited by fkp5
  • Like 1

I don't imagine they would stop this project unless they know for sure the new ROW is going to happen, and happen pretty quickly.

As of now, it's still just a concept. If it does happen, they should be reimbursed for the improvements as well.

Wow! But what fkp5 said...

What's the likelihood they buy a nearby property not in the alignment ROW to build on instead? I'm sure they'd get reimbursed for this plot of land for the i45 ROW

Is this the same developer of the Texaco renovations? They originally had an "H & M" listed in the garage retail

• Like 1

Looks gorgeous. If this is indeed in the proposed I-45 right-of-way, starting construction could allow the developer to negotiate quite a bounty with the state (my knowledge of condemnation law is a bit limited, so I would be curious if the developer could seek the value of the completed improvements if he were to start construction--I don't think renderings would permit him to recover anything other than the value of the land absent any other movement).

That's a pretty fvkd up way of squeezing money out of our state goverment though. I mean, if they start now and force TXDOT to pay more for the land, that just means tax payers will be on the hook for the increased cost.

Edit: or federal government since its a Interstate job

Edited by BigFootsSocks

There is a lot of prime land in the path of this proposed ROW. The holding cost of that land is pretty high. The developer would be doing himself and his investors a disservice if he were to wait and see what happens with the government - it could be another 10 years before we know what happens. I highly doubt TXDOT will pay anyone their holding costs on waiting for them to make their decision, especially if they choose not to move forward with the current ROW concept. 

That's a pretty fvkd up way of squeezing money out of our state goverment though. I mean, if they start now and force TXDOT to pay more for the land, that just means tax payers will be on the hook for the increased cost.

Edit: or federal government since its a Interstate job

Huge improvement, but isn't this in the path of the I-45 realignment?

The blocks along the freeway certainly are, so I wonder what their contingency plan is if so.

Spoke to a representative and he said they are waiting on permits from the city and are hoping to break ground in 30-90 days. He also mentioned CVS quite a bit and that rental rates would be typical for a class A building. The current renderings are based on what has been submitted for permits from what he said.

• Like 5