skooljunkie

Block 436 & 437 (Formerly Milhaus Midtown)

Sweet, loving the location, going a little eastward.

This was supposed to be a new green office complex. I had heard the company was looking at building something else instead (I guess they did). It will be nice to have more residents on my side of Midtown. The location is awesome (couple minutes on bike to Discovery Green/Toyota Center/Houston Pavilions/etc.)

Where did you find these renderings? I'd love to get more info about this.

This is great - those 2 empty blocks need to get filled up! Renderings look great, skooljunkie any word on Construction start estimates? With more new developement on this side of midtown - maybe will squeeze Central Square/Greyhound and all of its ambience out.

I am assuming moving the Greyhound station North of Town is dead? I think I remember the city putting the kubosh on the Transit center North of DT.

With so many condos on that side of Midtown - I think the area is primed for a bar. Residents have to go East to Celtic Gardens. I think a bar over there would do well maybe closer to Baldwin Park.

For some reason, this is what I expect this to be put somewhere on this complex, but I'm willing to bet SOMEONE will paint this on there.

Milhouse.jpg

• Like 3

this variance has been approved.

Sounds great! Been waiting a while for development to pick up again in East Midtown...

interesting blog about the property.

http://milhausdevelopment.com/blogs/blog/2012/2/19/mixed-use-development-or-not-in-midtown-houston

"In order to complement what the Midtown Redevelopment Authority is planning in the area, we designed the first floor of the building along Gray Avenue, between Austin and La Branch to be built to hold commercial tenants if the demand is ever warranted. Until then, we will locate all of the building’s leasing and club rooms/amenity areas along the street front. It’s not retail, but it will help create a pedestrian experience along Gray Avenue."

• Like 1

I contacted Milhaus to see when this would start. This is the response:

"Thank you for your interest. We're still working through the process. No set date yet. Keep your eyes out for another Milhaus project in the neighborhood coming soon, too."

• Like 1

I think this is great. East midtown (East of Main) is still a bit rough but with projects like this, I am sure it will transform.

Good news. I was driving down Fannin through Midtown going to Hermann Park and there's so much potential for redevelopment in east Midtown. I'm sure it'll catch on in the near future, especially after the superblock park and retail gets developed.

hobo alley behind the bimmer dealership in the adjacent block from this development has been empty for the past few weeks now. glad that area is getting cleaned up.

I think this is great. East midtown (East of Main) is still a bit rough but with projects like this, I am sure it will transform.

I wonder if they will start calling the area EaMi???

On a more serious note, I noticed that there's a lot less people sleeping under the Pierce Elevated at Crawford as well. Maybe they saw the variance request and decided it was time to head down the road a bit?

I wonder if they will start calling the area EaMi???

Don't even say that! Someone will read it and seriously propose it! :lol:

With so many condos on that side of Midtown - I think the area is primed for a bar. Residents have to go East to Celtic Gardens. I think a bar over there would do well maybe closer to Baldwin Park.

Leon's Lounge!

Maybe they saw the variance request and decided it was time to head down the road a bit?

Haha, wouldn't that be nice. Though that's assuming they can read.

Leon's Lounge!

Haha, wouldn't that be nice. Though that's assuming they can read.

13 Celsius as well, but that's not exactly the same atmosphere as Leon's or the Celtic Gardens, Geographically, I think the Maple Leaf is closer to Baldwin Park than Celtic Gardens as well, and is similar ambiance.

I wouldn't assume they don't know how to read, the ones that stand on corners with their cardboard signs should know how to read (since they at least know how to write).

13 Celsius as well, but that's not exactly the same atmosphere as Leon's or the Celtic Gardens, Geographically, I think the Maple Leaf is closer to Baldwin Park than Celtic Gardens as well, and is similar ambiance.

I wouldn't assume they don't know how to read, the ones that stand on corners with their cardboard signs should know how to read (since they at least know how to write).

It's funny you mention 13° Celsius. The owners of that place (Ian Rosenberg & Mike Sammons) are opening this area of Midtown's newest spot, "Mongoose vs. Cobra," at 1011 McGowen, directly across the street from Leon's Lounge.

There's also Double Trouble.

It seems like it. Everything including the web page is down. Dammit I liked this one! I love low rise density made out of brick instead of stucco.

Looks like a new multifamily development has taken over the site.  This is the same two blocks that was proposed for the Milhaus development.

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 3

That's great news. I'm glad to see something coming back here. I'll believe it when I see construction start this time (instead of being fooled by Milhaus).

Looks like a new multifamily development has taken over the site.  This is the same two blocks that was proposed for the Milhaus development.

These are the same two blocks that were proposed for the Milhaus development*... hahah

These are the same blocks where Milhaus(?) was planned correct?

Pretty risky location IMO.  Personally I wouldn't want to walk from that apt to bagby area or vice versa at night.

Area is a bit sketchy now. All all of midtown used to be. But this will be a big help and with a couple years the area will be much improved.

Great news. Assume 4 to 6 floors?

I believe it when I see them break ground. Milhaus went to the planning commission as well and got everything approved... then sold.

I could see ground floor retail working in this area.. You have a area that is vastly under served ? How many people work in ST. joesph? That have limited dinning options outside of having to get in their car and go to papas ? If they line  the bottom with places to eat they coudl conner the south Houston market (well give people on that side more than papas anyway

These are the same blocks where Milhaus(?) was planned correct?

Pretty risky location IMO. Personally I wouldn't want to walk from that apt to bagby area or vice versa at night.

Theres nothing to be afraid of walking in that area at night. The few times ive encountered people walking in that part of midtown they were just your random homeless/crackhead, and they are more scared of you than you are of them.
  • Like 2

Theres nothing to be afraid of walking in that area at night. The few times ive encountered people walking in that part of midtown they were just your random homeless/crackhead, and they are more scared of you than you are of them.

Exactly. You know people keep talking about bad areas to walk around, particularly the Greyhound bus area.

I guess the people that post have never been to Austin. There are homeless people EVERYWHERE there in downtown near Sixth Street... crackheads galore. But there are so many people walking around from bar to bar or going out to eat or what have you, that you don't even notice them sometimes!

This is it... when you make a walking environment and turn it into a bustling area with people walking everywhere, it doesn't matter if there are sketchy looking people. It just doesn't. So this talk of it being sketchy doesn't matter when you transform the environment itself.  

Edited by Triton
  • Like 3

Yea.

Exactly. You know people keep talking about bad areas to walk around, particularly the Greyhound bus area.

I guess the people that post that have never been to Austin. There are homeless people EVERYWHERE there in downtown near Sixth Street... crackheads galore. But there are so many people walking around from bar to bar or going out to eat or what have you, that you don't even notice them sometimes!

This is it... when you make a walking environment and turn it into a bustling area with people walking everywhere, it doesn't matter if there are sketchy looking people. It just doesn't. So this talk of it being sketchy doesn't matter when you transform the environment itself.  

Exactly. I don't think the greyhound area is even bad you will face some annoyances but it's not like it's Baghdad. Let's be honest some people are just afraid of the race more than anything.

I have been to over 50 countries, I've been to hundreds of cities, Houston is the only place where residents act like homeless are some novel, alien creatures.

I got drunk and lost in Seattle but some homeless people have me awesome directions to my hotel. I would have been wandering around in the rain if it wasn't for the neighborhood hobos.

In Cork, Ireland one of the people buying rounds of beers to welcome us to the city was a homeless girl. Didn't know she was homeless till after. She was just a person who didn't have an indoor home.

I think many people like to feel themselves victims and ashamed to say no. Many of these homeless people are really friendly. Yeah some do commit crimes, but most are harmless.

People keep saying midtown won't improve because of the homeless, but hey I was asked for money right down the street from Buckingham Palace (well closer to Kensington).

Homeless are everywhere people. Its not a Houston thing. They stay where they get fed.

• Like 2

I have been to over 50 countries, I've been to hundreds of cities, Houston is the only place where residents act like homeless are some novel, alien creatures.

I got drunk and lost in Seattle but some homeless people have me awesome directions to my hotel. I would have been wandering around in the rain if it wasn't for the neighborhood hobos.

In Cork, Ireland one of the people buying rounds of beers to welcome us to the city was a homeless girl. Didn't know she was homeless till after. She was just a person who didn't have an indoor home.

I think many people like to feel themselves victims and ashamed to say no. Many of these homeless people are really friendly. Yeah some do commit crimes, but most are harmless.

People keep saying midtown won't improve because of the homeless, but hey I was asked for money right down the street from Buckingham Palace (well closer to Kensington).

Homeless are everywhere people. Its not a Houston thing. They stay where they get fed.

The greyhound station is a dropoff point on your way back from prison. There are undesirable people in the area, not just homeless.

So please tell that stupid church in Katy to stop driving aaaallll the way to the big city to feed homeless in midtown or downtown.

I am going to bet that it is going to be a little too noisy for the owners to sit outside and enjoy a bottle or three of tequila during the week (rush hour, pollution, traffic, violence, etc) considering it is right next to the highway.

I am going to bet that it is going to be a little too noisy for the owners to sit outside and enjoy a bottle or three of tequila during the week (rush hour, pollution, traffic, violence, etc) considering it is right next to the highway.

Violence? Hardly. I think statistically that area is in line with midtown and downtown.

Rush hour- I drive through that area for my commute all the time- It's hardly inconvenient. Traffic on the street level isnt bad at all during rush hour. On 45... that area is a bit irritating. But residents will hop on I-45 well south and north of that location. I would guess a significant percentage of the residents would work in downtown/medical district as well... making traffic on 45--irrelevant. 

Particulate Pollution: PM2.5 and PM10 do tend to be higher in areas directly adjacent to interstate highways... and in the city in general. 

Sound Pollution: Sound resistant windows and doors do a lot to remedy that.

Also, Who drinks 3 bottles of tequila in one sitting?