halenstone

Energy Gateway District: Northwest corner of I-10 & Gessner.

This corner used to have Cornbreads, (as nice as it was to have a sports bar down the street from me some of the folks that went there where kinda thuggish), Schlotzkiz (spelling?), CiCi's Pizza, and the Asian Supermarket. It's all gone now!

There is a sign up for "Cherry Companies", who I guess is either the Demo company or the General Contractor.

I'm wondering if anyone has a clue as to what will be constructed here?

• Like 1

I've been told that it will be dubbed Medical Center II

Texas Children's Hospital already got the name "Texas Medical Center West Campus" officiated. I don't know how or why the TMC, Inc. agreed to it.

I was dissapointed at first. Really wanted a Buffalo Wild Wings or something there. But now that I think about it, another med center means more people that will need apartments, and there are some "shady" apartments on Gessner and Westview (just west of Gessner), that would be nice for my property value if they where torn down to build some nice apartments to rent to the medical staff. And more people means they'll need more places to eat, and eventually drink during happy hour.

Hmm, I sure would like to open a bar on gessner. A happy hour bar that opens at 3pm and closes at 10pm...man those are my dream work hours!

So is the Uncle Bob's Self Storage gonna remain or is it getting demoed too?

It is my understanding it will be medical office bldgs like stated above, however they wont be built for some time. The developer tore down the existing structures to reduce the taxable vaule of the property while it sits waiting for construction.

I imagine the pic posted above is the poster's way of saying s/he imagines the property becoming an empty, unleased strip center like so many around town right now.

Does anyone know what happened to the Chick Fil A that was supposed to be built in the area? I thought there was going to be one at Bunker Hill and I10.

Does anyone know what happened to the Chick Fil A that was supposed to be built in the area? I thought there was going to be one at Bunker Hill and I10.

This is not 100% realiable, but one of the workers at the Memorial City Mall location told me that the "suits" thought there was too much competition built there already. They get plenty of visits at the mall and they don't want to have one in the mall and one so close outside the mall too.

I see the reasoning. Chick Fil A has kind of a cult following, like White Castle. I'll drive out of my way for a White Castle if it's about 5 miles away...I'll also cross the freeway and go in the mall if I REALLY want Chick Fil A. And if the mall is PACKED like it is on the weekends, I'll go all the way to the Westheimer location.

BTW, anyone try Sushi Pop on Bunker Hill @ I-10? I think I might hit that tonight.

• Like 1

Sushi-pop is not open yet.

What, pray tell, is Sushi-pop? It sounds like frozen fish on a stick.

• Like 1

What, pray tell, is Sushi-pop? It sounds like frozen fish on a stick.

From the same culture that brought you Basashi Ice (horse ice cream), Shirako (fish ejaculate), and Ichiban (lipstick for men)...

A Sushi-Pop is when a Japanese woman an a uniform spanks your bare ass with a fresh fish prior to its preparation as sushi. ...or so one might hypothesize.

Edited by TheNiche

This is not 100% realiable, but one of the workers at the Memorial City Mall location told me that the "suits" thought there was too much competition built there already. They get plenty of visits at the mall and they don't want to have one in the mall and one so close outside the mall too.

I see the reasoning. Chick Fil A has kind of a cult following, like White Castle. I'll drive out of my way for a White Castle if it's about 5 miles away...I'll also cross the freeway and go in the mall if I REALLY want Chick Fil A. And if the mall is PACKED like it is on the weekends, I'll go all the way to the Westheimer location.

BTW, anyone try Sushi Pop on Bunker Hill @ I-10? I think I might hit that tonight.

Thanks for the info. Makes sense, but I think the area could support both a mall location and a freestanding store. I love Chick Fil A!

It is now! Gotta find time to go. Anyone else try it yet?

Yep, and it's very good. We tried "The Big 8" with a salad. Also they serve alcohol. Definitely worth trying. Now all this location needs is a decent bar. We have tons of awesome drunk food between El Ray, Freebirds, Sushi Pop.

Sushi-pop is not open yet.

The wife and I tried SushiPop on their opening day and thought it was a big letdown. For the price, I expected it to be much better. Great looking place though.

Hopefully they are just working out the kinks and will improve over time.

Until then, Koto on Westheimer near Wilcrest will continue to get my sushi money.

I talked with someone that would know a few months ago and was told that they will be putting in mixed use like they are at Gateway Memorial City.   I asked when -- they wouldn't say but only said that it wouldn't be a good idea to buy a storage unit right now.

• Like 1

just talk to somebody that was finishing construction in the area. He said a tower will be at least a 25 stories. He didn't give a date on when it will start, but he is already contracted to work on it.

• Like 5

Awesome, that should do wonders for the property values in the 77043 which have been pretty stagnant compared to surrounding areas. Has there been any talk of repaving north gessner?

just talk to somebody that was finishing construction in the area. He said a tower will be at least a 25 stories. He didn't give a date on when it will start, but he is already contracted to work on it.

don't doubt that's what he said but i question the accuracy of his statement... 25+ stories is a very large project to fly under the radar.

i've heard very substantiated rumors of some very large deals further west though...

• Like 1

don't doubt that's what he said but i question the accuracy of his statement... 25+ stories is a very large project to fly under the radar.

i've heard very substantiated rumors of some very large deals further west though...

Care to share those rumors ?

• Like 1

Has there been any more updates or rumors about when or what will be built on this tract? I heard rumors that a developer is looking to buy up some apartments off of Gessner to tear down and build town houses.

Care to share those rumors ?

it was conoco taking ECIII and ECIV (or half of ECIV).

metronational has additional plans for another mixed use tower near the nexen/murphy/cobalt buildings.

Texas Children's Hospital already got the name "Texas Medical Center West Campus" officiated. I don't know how or why the TMC, Inc. agreed to it.

I believe it is because there are four more hospitals slotted for that area to be built within the next three years.

The person in charge of the project at Metro said he has plans drawn up for a hotel and 2 office buildings -- they'll get started as soon as they get a lease signed.

• Like 1

Rumor is MetroNational Corp has been working on another highrise at the northwest corner of Gessner and I-10. Plan has been in the works for about a year now. The idea has been to match the Memorial Hermann tower in height... possible twin tower with less stucco looking material. We'll see if we get any more details in the next several months.

• Like 5

they refer to it as their Gatewy site.... They've been floating it for a couple of years now.

Edited by swtsig
  • Like 3

We've all been waiting paitently for some news! From what I can tell Metro National likes to focus on one memorial city project at a time. Currently its the AIr Liquide building, next could be this site or the hotel Zaza site.

We've all been waiting paitently for some news! From what I can tell Metro National likes to focus on one memorial city project at a time. Currently its the AIr Liquide building, next could be this site or the hotel Zaza site.

what about the Dillards site redevelopment? metronational has quite a few plans floating around for Memorial City..

• Like 1

Hopefully this one will have outstretched arms... forever longing to hug it's robot friend across 82 lanes of traffic.

• Like 2

Rumor has it that it will be built in the shape of a highball glass to complement the the crown royal building across the freeway.  It'll be a gateway combination that says "Welcome to Houston..which way to the bar?"

6.2.5_LongIsland.jpg

• Like 7

Well, the ZaZa seems like the one that should be shaped like a highball glass - although I thought those were shorter.

Edited by toxtethogrady

The Northwest corner of Gessner and 10 is completely cleared, and has been for some time. They have about 20 acres on which to build.

Here is some info sent out a few months ago about the area next to the lot.

"In an effort to improve drainage, mitigate flood damage and relieve traffic flow, MetroNational and TIRZ 17 are working together to redesign the Conrad Sauer Detention Basin, which will not only increase its capacity, but its efficiency.  This project will remove an eyesore from the community, improve mobility and help stabilize the properties in the immediate area, while also providing much needed green space with walking and cycling pathways, landscaping, wet bottom and grassy park areas. MetroNational will give right-of-way for the construction of a new road to provide access from Gessner to the detention pond and will donate additional land to increase size of the detention facility. The land being given to the TIRZ is nearly 2 acres and is valued at $4 million.  Soon, Spring Branch will have a central meeting space and “town square” in which to gather and do such things as take in a Forth-of-July fireworks celebration as a community."

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/memorial/news/agreement-would-let-metronational-extend-street-detention-basin/article_71af95a7-c173-504d-9238-83ca5e1ee464.html

• Like 5

Here's a first look at the revitalized basin and road extension that will run through the site, thanks to the Houston Planning Comission.

We also have a name for this proposal - Energy Gateway District.

17249616018_c176d498c7_o.png

16814855854_59327483b6_o.png

16814855014_5b9363b68d_b.jpg

17411355116_cf91cf6983_b.jpg

• Like 5

A family member actually worked on the design of that retention pond. It's a pretty impressive design; from what I can remember, the depth of the pond needed to be able to hold an enormous capacity of water due to some poor drainage flaws in Houston's early days. This, along with a low water table meant they had to dig pretty deep...almost 1000 ft. 3000 piles were drilled deep down.

It looks just like any other ordinary ditch.

Edited by BigFootsSocks