The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Just a fluff piece:

The recent flurry of development activity along Allen Parkway has been good news for Cushman & Wakefield (NYSE: CWK). The Houston office of the Chicago-based real estate brokerage firm has been involved in dozens of multimillion-dollar property sales in the area and has even more deals in the works.

Jeff Peden, who serves as an executive managing director in Cushman & Wakefield’s brokerage team in Houston, said there’s a reason the Allen Parkway corridor has started to take off now as opposed to several years ago.

Developers from across the country have taken notice of the area because of its proximity to some of Houston’s most desirable neighborhoods. But the real draw, Peden said, is Buffalo Bayou Park. Tenants are increasingly interested having an outdoor space nearby, where they can escape their home or office for a while. The park’s recent renovation has provided developers and brokers with a major selling point that simply didn’t exist to the same degree before now, Peden said.

Why now? Why hasn’t the area near Allen Parkway and Memorial Parkway seen this level of development in prior years?

We have seen a flight to quality for development land citywide since development returned (post 2008 crash) to Houston in 2011. For the Allen Parkway/Memorial Corridor, I think you have to give much of the credit to the establishment of Buffalo Bayou Park. The creation and activation of the 160-acre park solidified the stretch from River Oaks to downtown and made it a real draw, which investors and developers from around the country can easily perceive.

What do you think the Allen Parkway area will look like once these large development projects are completed?

It will certainly be much more dense. There will be many more people living along Buffalo Bayou, and there will be far more things for residents and visitors to do. The move to slow down traffic along Allen Parkway is smart as it becomes a more important roadway for area circulation. The new H-E-B on Washington Avenue will help support the new residents. … It will become crowded!

Are there additional opportunities for future development in that area, or is this a one-time spike?

Absolutely. We are working on multiple tracts in the area now; on Allen Parkway, on Washington Avenue, off of Shepherd Drive. It is a diverse area, and there will always be opportunities for new development in the corridor as older properties reach the end of their economic life.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Thanks! I found this direct link to the stream earlier but it wouldn't load for me. On Firefox and Chrome browsers, I received the message no video file found. So, I thought the link didn't work and I didn't post it to the forum.

Here's the screenshot:

kheHEUY.jpg

But when I saw your post implying the direct link works, I tried the link in Explorer and it works. Odd that it's showing no video file found on the other two browsers.

I am using Chrome and double-checked it on IE. I think Chrome auto-blocks some features so you may check your site settings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...