Those apartments are going to have amazing views

As well as amazing sounds, at least until they silence the rail crossing at Daly/Trentham, plus whatever new crossings this development creates. There must be 20 trains a day through there, at least. I can't believe they still have to sound the horn for that one little crossing, but go silent when they cross I-45.

As well as amazing sounds, at least until they silence the rail crossing at Daly/Trentham, plus whatever new crossings this development creates. There must be 20 trains a day through there, at least. I can't believe they still have to sound the horn for that one little crossing, but go silent when they cross I-45.

Makes complete sense to me. All there is is a simple stop sign at that rail crossing. The abandoned warehouse makes it dangerous because it is difficult to see anything coming from the east. And while it's going over 45, why would it need to blast the horn? It's not like the train is changing lanes on the highway. lol

• Like 2

Makes complete sense to me. All there is is a simple stop sign at that rail crossing. The abandoned warehouse makes it dangerous because it is difficult to see anything coming from the east. And while it's going over 45, why would it need to blast the horn? It's not like the train is changing lanes on the highway. lol

In a parallel world...

"Ah damnit, the f***ing train cut me off!"

• Like 3

In a parallel world...

"Ah damnit, the f***ing train cut me off!"

To listen to some of the "drivers" downtown, that's exactly what the light rail was doing the first couple of year's operation!

Triton, I'm a poor judge of speed, admittedly, but I'm pretty sure the trains don't do 45 through there. They appear to be doing 20 or so at best.  But, yes, I realize it's only a stop sign. They have to signalize it with drop arms, at least. But one little podunk intersection, surely that's not so hard? For that matter, once the Main-Burnett intersection is complete, would it be reasonable to just abandon that road? It's already gone to heck in a handbasket with the rerouted traffic, and gods know it's not likely to get fixed anytime soon.

I imagine the street connectors to downtown that are included with the Hardy developments will include signalized crossings that are paid for by the developer, so they can get that whole line silenced from Maury.

On a side note, that old warehouse would make an awesome shell for a commercial redevelopment, perfect for the UHD crowd. Throw in a coffee shop, bar, maybe small food court...

• Like 1

To listen to some of the "drivers" downtown, that's exactly what the light rail was doing the first couple of year's operation!

Triton, I'm a poor judge of speed, admittedly, but I'm pretty sure the trains don't do 45 through there. They appear to be doing 20 or so at best.  But, yes, I realize it's only a stop sign. They have to signalize it with drop arms, at least. But one little podunk intersection, surely that's not so hard? For that matter, once the Main-Burnett intersection is complete, would it be reasonable to just abandon that road? It's already gone to heck in a handbasket with the rerouted traffic, and gods know it's not likely to get fixed anytime soon.

I imagine the street connectors to downtown that are included with the Hardy developments will include signalized crossings that are paid for by the developer, so they can get that whole line silenced from Maury.

On a side note, that old warehouse would make an awesome shell for a commercial redevelopment, perfect for the UHD crowd. Throw in a coffee shop, bar, maybe small food court...

Agreed. Hopefully they'll just abandon it and I think that is actually part of the plan. It looks like they plan to have a new road go from the intersection of N Main and Providence St (At UHD) to N Main and Brooks. It would essentially wipe out a lot of the parking but I think the plan is to build a parking garage. Does anyone know of the document I am talking about? May have even been posted in this thread though I don't the parking garage has been publicly released yet.

And yes! The road is in absolutely bad shape now because of all the redirected traffic. The pot holes are tire killers. 

• Like 1

Agreed. Hopefully they'll just abandon it and I think that is actually part of the plan. It looks like they plan to have a new road go from the intersection of N Main and Providence St (At UHD) to N Main and Brooks. It would essentially wipe out a lot of the parking but I think the plan is to build a parking garage. Does anyone know of the document I am talking about? May have even been posted in this thread though I don't the parking garage has been publicly released yet.

And yes! The road is in absolutely bad shape now because of all the redirected traffic. The pot holes are tire killers. 

I haven't seen anything, but I just noticed a thread a little bit down the forum about a residential construction ("The Lofts", so creative) planned for that triangle of land across the tracks from the warehouse.

That new roadway could potentially be very interesting for the school. Perhaps integration with the Heights Hike and Bike trail could create a nice bayou-side promenade that could become an iconic image of an expanded future campus. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. I noticed in the distance Burnett St looks to be partially paved as 4 lanes already. If they can use a little imagination with this area and integrate it well with the bayou that's a few yards away it could be a cool green space addition. Especially since the city has been down there planting all those new trees and clearing up brush this past month. Would do wonders for that already very popular white oak bike trail. 

Transit area

17295926256_6a7274dc45_h.jpg

Hardy Yard by marclongoria, on Flickr

17134345660_37ea3b7b4b_h.jpg

New N Main and Burnett connection.

16699436744_d5a98a8bc1_h.jpg

Nice. I noticed in the distance Burnett St looks to be partially paved as 4 lanes already. If they can use a little imagination with this area and integrate it well with the bayou that's a few yards away it could be a cool green space addition. Especially since the city has been down there planting all those new trees and clearing up brush this past month. Would do wonders for that already very popular white oak bike trail. 

Actually, they built a temporary two lane road... I guess for the residents? I am not sure...

A temporary road with all that asphalt seems pretty wasteful, but I suppose that makes sense with what the foreman told me ages ago, that they were going to start the work by redoing the north side of Burnett first. The rain must have really put a crimp in their schedule.

Yea this whole area of A.C. Allen's Landing was a slosh-puddle during the the last few weeks. We just moved a bungalow from the Heights onto a lot we bought a few streets north of Burnett and it was delayed by 6 weeks because of the rain. I can only imagine whats it's done to their schedule. Even Avenue Terrace just up the road on N. Main was pretty much at a stand still for 2 1/2 months, I did notice this week they're getting close to pouring the foundation though. 

A temporary road with all that asphalt seems pretty wasteful, but I suppose that makes sense with what the foreman told me ages ago, that they were going to start the work by redoing the north side of Burnett first. The rain must have really put a crimp in their schedule.

Edited by IamHouston

They've torn up the road and are working on the subgrade on the north side of Burnett, now. The project manager says about 3-4 weeks (weather permitting, of course) for that side of the road to be finished. Looks like they're not dropping the grade like the foreman told me a while back. That roller-coaster ride they put at the new Main-Burnett intersection gives them all the grade change they need. I don't want to think what that intersection is going to be like during a toad-strangler.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone thought of how the recently announced North Houston Highway Improvement Program will affect whats trying to be achieved?  

I didn't realize until today that they were planning to reroute the spaghetti bowl to north of UHD. Right now, the plans show it going along the south side of the UPRR track, through UHD's surface lot off Daly, with an entirely elevated structure.It will probably cut the value of any residential planned for the south side of the yards, since they'll have that massive freeway right outside the 3rd floor, but overall I doubt would have a huge impact on the whole project.

• Like 1

I didn't realize until today that they were planning to reroute the spaghetti bowl to north of UHD. Right now, the plans show it going along the south side of the UPRR track, through UHD's surface lot off Daly, with an entirely elevated structure.It will probably cut the value of any residential planned for the south side of the yards, since they'll have that massive freeway right outside the 3rd floor, but overall I doubt would have a huge impact on the whole project.

I didn't realize there was any residential being planned on the south side of the yards other than maybe a small area off Conti St that I thought had fallen through well over a year ago but I haven't gone by back there in a while. Otherwise I don't see it affecting the area very much at all and if anything maybe giving it additional visibility. If anything I think redesigning the clock tower they're putting into the residences should be elevated even higher to make it easily visible to those driving by to see the time. Could be our own Watchtower clock like the one in NYC when you're leaving Manhattan and driving to Brooklyn over the Brooklyn Bridge. Obviously that one is digital and pretty much an american landmark. But it would be cool none the less.

This is Texas doggone it! Make it bigger or we can't be better. 

Edited by IamHouston
  • Like 1

What was being planned off Conti St over a year ago?

I didn't realize there was any residential being planned on the south side of the yards other than maybe a small area off Conti St that I thought had fallen through well over a year ago but I haven't gone by back there in a while. Otherwise I don't see it affecting the area very much at all and if anything maybe giving it additional visibility. If anything I think redesigning the clock tower they're putting into the residences should be elevated even higher to make it easily visible to those driving by to see the time. Could be our own Watchtower clock like the one in NYC when you're leaving Manhattan and driving to Brooklyn over the Brooklyn Bridge. Obviously that one is digital and pretty much an american landmark. But it would be cool none the less.

What was being planned off Conti St over a year ago?

Well I want to say it was originally planned about 3 years ago and for some reason or another the construction never got off the ground, but it was a small gated townhome community. Maybe 6-12 homes. I don't remember to be exact. 

It's mixed use, so unless they build it all office on that side (which is possible, of course), there would be some residential. I've not seen any detailed layouts discussing where things are supposed to go in the development, only sketches.