Best Mexican Restaurant

Molina's on HWY. 6 is good.  I also like Pappasitos, Los Tios and Ninfas.  I do agree that Texas has the best Mexican food in the country.  I do have a funny story though,  while I was in the tiny northeast Tennessee town of Rogersville I found out that they have a Mexican resturant and I tried it and it was actually pretty good.

El Tiempo has just moved up the ladder in my book. I had the shrimp enchiladas and they were awesome. Plus I love the green dip they have.

I really don't understand how anyone can like Lupe Tortillas.... their fajitas seriously taste like spoiled overcooked beef that they are masking the flavor with lime juice... bllleeeccchhhh.... the point of beef is to taste it, not the seasonings...

my favorite places for different reasons:

1. La Jaliscience - the salsa is to die for... the rest of the food is good, but I could eat that salsa till I am full

2. Tony's (Ella at 610) - there are some excellent chicken dishes here and the shrimp quesadillas are top notch

3. Berryhill - fish tacos or fish burrito.. super yummy... and the reason Mexican don't eat there is that they aren't marketing to Mexicans and the locations are in their neighborhoods

4. El Meson - fresh cool salads and zesty salsa are great before a well prepared meal... I prefer the Cuban fare here, but nothing wrong with the Mexican food at all...

5. Cafe Adobe - the avodado is fabulous and their chicken dishes are good as well..

6. El Tiempo (dinero) - the only thing I'll ever eat at this overpriced establishment is the beef fajitas... but oh my they are the best...

• 8 months later...
sorry to resurrect old thread, but does anyone know what happend to la jaliscience on montrose? looks like it's closed or renovating? i know it's no the best mexican restaurant, but they used to be open late... is la jaliscience in heights any good?

After they did the last remodel, i noticed that business went way down and so did the quality of the food. I hadn't been by there in quite a while until yesterday. I looked like another remodel but i don't know whether it will still be Jaliscience.

After they did the last remodel, i noticed that business went way down and so did the quality of the food. I hadn't been by there in quite a while until yesterday. I looked like another remodel but i don't know whether it will still be Jaliscience.

i was planning on eating there - i guess i'll find out :mellow:

*Tex-Mex does not equal Mexican...

You are correct, because REAL Mexican food sucks ! Tex-Mex is much tastier, for my $20 bucks I'll go to Los Cucos or Las Rosas. Tacos Al Carbon beef por favor, con refritos, no barrachos. :D

You are correct, because REAL Mexican food sucks ! Tex-Mex is much tastier, for my $20 bucks I'll go to Los Cucos or Las Rosas. Tacos Al Carbon beef por favor, con refritos, no barrachos. :D

Real Mexican food is just as good as TexMex. Go to Puebla, the culinary capital of Mexico and I think youll change your mind.

Real Mexican food is just as good as TexMex. Go to Puebla, the culinary capital of Mexico and I think youll change your mind.

I can really only go by my experiences in Mexico City and Acapulco. Maybe The Acapulco Princess and The Plaza in Mexico City, just had bad chefs at that time. I am sure the food is ok, but this fatman is very particular with the palette. :lol:^_^

nothing beats the real deal...

also, on an el salvadorian note, has anyone ever had a pupusa? there is a pupuseria sort of nearby, and i am intrigued, but the one person i know that knows what they are says they're horrible...

plus, i like saying the word "pupusa" :lol:

also, on an el salvadorian note, has anyone ever had a pupusa? there is a pupuseria sort of nearby, and i am intrigued, but the one person i know that knows what they are says they're horrible...

They are super huge burritos, about 3lbs, stuffed with all sorts of goodies. Potatoes, Meat, Rice, Beans. I have only seen them, never actually had one, so I can't tell ya what it tastes like. :angry2:

Maybe they do taste horrible, and that is why it has "pupu" in it's name ?

Edited by TJones

never had one at a restaurant but at someone's home.....she's from there. it was good. also she made a pickled cabbage that was wonderful. she gave me a pupusa to take home but having it for leftovers is BAD. too greasy

Sevfiv, you can get frozen pupusas, along with the pickled cabbage (and loroca, and lots of other Salvadoran stuff) at the Gulfgate HEB.

Basically, pupusas are discs of masa dough stuffed with various things...usually cheese, beans, and/or meat. Top 'em off with the pickled cabbabe (curtido).

8.jpg

The few times I've eaten them in restaurants they weren't 3 lbs or anything like TJones is describing, but they were delicious. Better than the frozen ones, that's for sure.

When I used to live on the SW side I had any one of a thousand pupuserias to choose from, but I don't know of any around the south side. I know you live near Gulfgate; where's the pupuseria you're speaking of?

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's

That's softball park food, not Tex-Mex ! :lol:

You ever had a Frito Pie made with home-ground top sirloin, pablano and jalapeno peppers, white onions and hot red pepper at a softball game, buddy boy? I'll make you one for free and sit back and watch you devour it! ;)

B)

8.jpg

The few times I've eaten them in restaurants they weren't 3 lbs or anything like TJones is describing, but they were delicious. Better than the frozen ones, that's for sure.

This is similar to the one i ate as well. It did not resemble a burrito. The lady told my mom she uses rice flour for the outside. She filled the inside with various meats/cheese, etc.

You ever had a Frito Pie made with home-ground top sirloin, pablano and jalapeno peppers, white onions and hot red pepper at a softball game, buddy boy? I'll make you one for free and sit back and watch you devour it! ;)

B)

Shhhhhhhhh, you know you can't type things like that on here. People will start to talk about us........AGAIN ! :lol:

This is similar to the one i ate as well. It did not resemble a burrito. The lady told my mom she uses rice flour for the outside. She filled the inside with various meats/cheese, etc.

I think that the pupusa I am thinking about is from a region close to El Salvador, it uses a very large flour totilla about a foot and a half across, and is loaded to the gills.

Most of the meals I've ever had in Mexico City weren't that spectacular, except for some really small place outside of the city that made some more traditional Mexican food that you don't find in restaurants. I would agree that there are some good eats in Puebla. It is the mol

[would I be revealing too much about myself if I told you I make a killer Frito Pie-an original Tex-Mex dish if there ever was one.]

:lol:

B)

Frito Pie is on our menu for tomorrow night. The traditional kind...but baked in the oven, with lots of onions and cheese. Wish my kids would eat something fancy like the kind you make. :(

I like Tila's on Shepard. I have not been in a while, but the times I've been the food was great. The atmosphere is very nice too.

Tony's on Ella use to be my favorite. Loved the shrimp and crab enchiladas When a chef left there and started his own place on 290, I moved with him. I think the name was Chapalla's. I would eat there at least once a week. Now they have changed names again, and the food has gone down hill..so I'm trying to find another place now.

If I'm in a quick hurry I go to a little place around the corner called Don Teos on W 34th. I like their Queso which has little pieces of celery and is not "Yellow".

At work we often go to Ninfa's. I'm not a fan, but it's walking distance from our office. Sometimes we venture out to Chuy's, but again, I'm not a real fan.

I do have to give Berryhill two thumbs up for their tamales and fish tacos.

I miss the original Cyclone's on Durham. In my mind nothing will ever compete with their Tacos el Carbon.

Edited by MarthaG

the pupuseria is on broadway just east of 45 and south of 610. it is an interesting shaped building, too.

it's Pupuseria La Unica (i think), Corner of broadway and hartford. it was formerly the Chuck Wagon Drive-In in the 70's-80's - hence the covered wagon look.

Also nearby: Pupuseria Emanuel on Telephone Rd just south of Long/Park Place. It's also in a cool old Drive-in.

My favorite "hispanic" food (not sure it is exactly mexican but definately south of our border) is at

El Pueblito Place on Richmond (near Mandell). A great place to have Sunday Brunch esp. sitting out on their patio.

My favorite "hispanic" food (not sure it is exactly mexican but definately south of our border) is at

El Pueblito Place on Richmond (near Mandell). A great place to have Sunday Brunch esp. sitting out on their patio.

I believe it is Guatemalan food. I've just never acquired the taste of that place. I seem to remember my big complaint was the price vs. the quality of the food. Rice and beans are cheap.

i like el pueblito, but sometimes i feel ripped off...usually when i go there starving :D

i could walk to pupuseria emanuel, but i usually don't venture on foot over there (although there are some nice bars right around it, such as la feria, the maccalita lounge, and las palmas dos - which apparently is safer than the original one up the road that hpd seems to love to hang out at :rolleyes: )