Five Allen Center: Office Tower At 400 Dallas St.

roadrunner

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything but, I guess nobody here understands the basic principle of PERSPECTIVE. Things that are closer appear larger. The block that 5 Allen is on is closer to the point from where that photograph (west of downtown) was taken. A 50-story building that is one block closer to the west will appear larger compared to the 50-story buildings behind it when viewed from the west.

Notice how much larger the 53-story Texaco Heritage building appears than the 50-story Shell building which is one block east (or "behind it). Now apply that to the 50-story 5 Allen building which is a block closer to the west than Texaco Heritage and 2 blocks closer to the west than the Shell building. I think it is very possible that the above photograph is accurate.

Now, if I ever see a rendering of 5 Allen from the north and for some reason it is significantly taller and wider than the Shell building - THEN I would agree that the the height and size of 5 Allen is exaggerated.

Have a good day.

Dont worry. First of all, the building wont be that chunky looking at all because the plot of land they plan to build this on isnt even nearly that large. Second, although it will be tall, it wont be THAT tall and the plot of land is actually lower than most of the other blocks in downtown unless they plan on raising it. Third, the angle also is having a major impact because it is showing you both sides of the tower which makes the building seem quite large.

the building is shaped like a parallelagram, so if viewed from let's say the south, it becomes much more narrow and sleek (so to speak)... it's a very nice looking building, imo. there's one rendering of this building viewed from the pierce elevated that makes it look almost triangular.

and i'd bet that this building will get going sooner rather than later.

the building is shaped like a parallelagram, so if viewed from let's say the south, it becomes much more narrow and sleek (so to speak)... it's a very nice looking building, imo. there's one rendering of this building viewed from the pierce elevated that makes it look almost triangular.

That's interesting. Continental Center I (also a Brookfield property), when viewed from the on-ramp to the Pierce Elevated SB from Memorial, looks two-dimensional because of its angles. That's one of the cooler downtown building views, IMHO. It would be pretty neat if you could get odd views like that of two buildings from about the same location.

Glad to hear it, SWTSIG. You've been pretty spot on in the past with regards to other projects. I am left wondering if Devon has signed on...

Unless they (Brookfield) have a big surprise for us, my best guess is that if 5 Houston Center is going forward soon, it will only be if Devon has signed on.

Devon just recently went through a round of layoffs. I would be surprised to see them sign on something like this. Not any inside info, just a guess.

This is true. Not sure how much they would be willing to spend on additional office space that may just sit empty.

According to Fortune magazine, as of mid-January 2009, Devon had never had a layoff - ever. Seems unlikely anything has changed that dramatically in the intervening 6 months.

Perhaps you've been watching a different economy than the rest of us. :) I've seen more people lose jobs in the last 6 months than at any time in the previous 20 years.

I have no info regarding Devon's plans, but I can certainly understand why they would be hesitant to make a substantial commitment during the most uncertain economy in recent memory.

any chance of a source or more information about Devon having recent layoffs? According to Fortune magazine, as of mid-January 2009, Devon had never had a layoff - ever. Seems unlikely anything has changed that dramatically in the intervening 6 months.

http://www.employmentspectator.com/2009/05/devon-energy-to-restructure-eliminate-75-jobs/

The article doesn't say where the layoffs will be. I would think that with the consolidation to Houston, mentioned in the article, they may require additional office space, not less.

Interesting, but in addition to RSB's point about not knowing where the eliminated positions are/were, 75 in conjunction with a reorganization/combination of divisions is pretty insignificant, and tells us pretty much nothing about current/future office and growth needs.

My father in law is a geologist for Devon. He told me about the layoffs, which is a big deal for a company that prides itself in never having to lay off anybody.

Yes. I have a friend who USED to work there until last month.

Devon went very public with their Oklahoma City Hdqts project. Things appear to still be moving forward on that one (around a 900 footer and easily OKC's tallest). They were definitely still shopping for space last I heard but staying put is an option.

Devon went very public with their Oklahoma City Hdqts project. Things appear to still be moving forward on that one (around a 900 footer and easily OKC's tallest). They were definitely still shopping for space last I heard but staying put is an option.

I would be quite surprised to see this going forward soon, even with a Devon expansion. Hess will be vacating a big chunk of space in Allen Center well before a new 50-story building would be ready. But I suppose stranger things have happened.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

rcoayx.jpg

That's a play on the original quote by Mark Twain who said "it's not the things we don't know that hurt us, but rather the things we know for sure that are true that just ain't so."

Did I miss something here? This seems very random.

• 3 weeks later...

Did I miss something here? This seems very random.

Brookfield's comments on the Allen Center Parking Gararge

"Description

Located in the heart of the Allen Center/Cullen Center complex, the Allen Center Garage could accommodate an office building above it. The site fronts on historic Antioch Park and would have unobstructed views to the west."

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

"We also snapped Cresa Houston’s Sue Rogers and Brookfield’s Paul Frazier. Paul says there will be an office building announced Downtown this year, but it will need to be 50% preleased. His firm has a 2.5-acre site where it’s planning on building a 900k SF to 1.1M SF building. It needs rents around $31/SF net, but existing buildings are leasing around that level; he expects the rate to trickle to preleasing soon because of the lack of big blocks available."

http://www.bisnow.com/real-estate-hou/2012/03/20/the-deal-sheet-427/

Archived