Houston Tower Crane Photos

Do you love cranes and what they represent?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you love cranes and what they represent?

• I love cranes and what they represent.
    • I am indifferent to cranes and what they represent.
    • I loathe cranes and what they represent.

On a more serious note, yes I enjoy seeing cranes.

My father was a crane operator. While he was employed as such (circa 1950-1980) cranes lacked many of the refinements of modern heavy construction machinery. A couple of months ago, I sat on the balcony outside the food court at Houston Center, and marveled at the ease with which the operator controlled his machine. So far as physical effort goes, a five year old could have done his job. Modern cranes are controlled not much differently than video games.

In my father's day, clutches and brakes were applied by sheer muscle power. There was no such thing as a flabby crane operator. Further, his strength was all that stood between life and death to those who depended on him. When tons of steel or concrete are being moved, precisely, there's no room for inattention or weakness.

• 2 months later...

Don't forget the homeless. The Lyondell crane toppled over in fear after a homeless man was spotted panhandling around the plant. I bet the homeless man was a Katrina person who slept in an abandoned apartment complex and took Metro to the plant.

Edited by MetroMogul

• 2 weeks later...
There was another tip over of a large crane somewhere in Texas yesterday, thought for sure someone would post on here.

This could become another craze like tipping over cows right? :mellow:

It was in Smithville. One man dead. They were doing bridge work. Does seem like a lot lately.

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=876...;nav=menu73_2_8

Edited by crunchtastic

Then there was the one up near Dallas? just Sunday or Monday that was lifting that church steeple to the top and it tipped over and of all places landed on a senior/elderly couple in their car. The poor man was killed instantly, it took an hour to get the lady out of the mangled mess.

Big time law suit for sure. :(

Edited by Vertigo58