Sign in to follow this  
UrbaNerd

Six Houston Center

I like the design... 30 story is floor count. Any ground retail?

Breaks ground this summer... So we will have Hines / Houston 6 starting this summer / Hilcorp. I wonder if International / Capital tower get built? My sense is Shanksa's Capital Tower is the next tower to be anounced officially (this year).

Projects that will have to wait... Chevron (to be official next year), 5 Allen, International Tower, and the East Downtown tower.

Edited by Avossos

It's cute! It's a baby BG Group Place!

"Cute" is exactly the word I thought as well!

Those terrace gardens seem to be quite the architectural fad.

Umm this is great and all but who the hell is going to rent space in these buildings? Combine that with a few buildings being renovated and yeahhh.

They got people working on it.  The way I see it, if now is not a good time to build in this town, when the market has been really good compared to other places, then no time is ever good enough and you might as well just walk away from this and any other project.  I love the design by the way, looks great. 

Can someone remind me of what block this is? Is it an empty lot?

It's the block bounded by Rusk, Caroline, San Jacinto and Walker.

• Like 1

Kinda weird, but I like it.

Looks like BG Group throwing up. Or to keep the cute theme going, sticking its tongue out.

• Like 2

Unreal whats gone up around Disco Green since its inception.

Its not just Disco Green. Projects a lining up all around the Rusk/Capitol corrider and I think its becuase of the rail lines.

6 Houston Center, Old Texaco renovation, 609 Main, New Convetion Center Hotel, Hyatt Place/Homestead dual hotel, Trammel Crow reisdental high rise, HSPVA, Nau Center ....its clear, the Rusk/Capitol corrdor is the new Downtown hotspot.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

haha, exactly my thoughts. its even lined up with BG Group on the same row of blocks, facing the same direction.. i dig it though. looks much better than the older renderings.

• Like 2

haha, exactly my thoughts. its even lined up with BG Group on the same row of blocks, facing the same direction.. i dig it though. looks much better than the older renderings.

Agreed, looks 100x better then the previous proposals.

Its not just Disco Green. Projects a lining up all around the Rusk/Capitol corrider and I think its becuase of the rail lines.

6 Houston Center, Old Texaco renovation, 609 Main, New Convetion Center Hotel, Hyatt Place/Homestead dual hotel, Trammel Crow reisdental high rise, HSPVA, Nau Center ....its clear, the Rusk/Capitol corrdor is the new Downtown hotspot.

I think there is a lot of synergy going on in this area - rail, DG, all three stadiums, greenstreet, convention center, possible lower land prices on this side of downtown and all them empty lots with potential opportunity. And let's not forget the incentives for resi.

So funny that this was all posted today. I had that feeling that when information came out that Chrissy Wilson from JLL was working on leasing for Six Houston Center, that she planned on releasing more. Tried contacting her yesterday to see if she could at least release a start date on construction and then sure enough, Chrissy Wilson talks to Nancy Sarnoff for a Houston Chron article about this today.

Annnnyway, this is going to be a great addition to that side of downtown! From potential to planned on the development map.  ;)

I can't decide if I think this is ok, or if I think this is ugly?  Probably not a good reaction to have in regards to anything this large and expensive.

It should be interesting on how they plan on working around the rail lines, esp considering some of the equipment is taller than the overhead wires.

simply gorgeous!  but is it just a coincidence, that it is resembling "bg group place"?  i find this a bit intriguing.  monarch

The massing of the top floors seems off, like the garden recess should have been a couple of floors lower in relation to the rest of the building (BG Group Place did this better). I'm guessing they don't plan on putting any office space above the recessed area, and that is why they couldn't make the top thicker, but it seems flimsy. Also don't like how the "tongue" projects out of the facade, although maybe it will have a transparent floor there like the Sears Tower and people can walk out and get goosebumps over the thirty floor drop.

It's still a pleasant building overall, but it would really be a shame if it diminishes the chances of any of the others being built.

• Like 3

Emporis says it will rise up to 405' ft. Is this correct?

http://www.emporis.com/building/6houstoncenter-houston-tx-usa

It's an estimate based on the relevant data. Once enough data fields are filled out, the number is generated.

Not sure of what the actual figure is, but I don't think it's too far off.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 1

It's an estimate based on the relevant data. Once enough data fields are filled out, the number is generated.

Not sure of what the actual figure is, but I don't think it's too far off.

Any word on the total construction cost for this one?

So I saw a tweet from 'going up city' asking a cre person if this was a race to go up against Hines tower... Does anyone think it's one or the other, not both?

Both are going up for sure.  6 Houston Center is a Class-AA tower, I assume 609 Main is as well, as is Capitol Tower.  Class-AA space is nonexistent in downtown, so these are badly needed.  

I believe the # is around $250mm

So, if i win one of those big powerballs, i could build something like this?

• Like 1

So I saw a tweet from 'going up city' asking a cre person if this was a race to go up against Hines tower... Does anyone think it's one or the other, not both?

If that is true, then we should all do a sit-in to delay 6HC until Hines can get started.

• Like 2

H-Town Man...a little Hines fanboy, huh?

More like I'd rather see a 48 story tower designed by a major architect than a 21 story/9 level garage tower designed by nobody.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 3

More like I'd rather see a 48 story tower designed by a major architect than a 19 story/9 level garage tower designed by nobody.

Dudes!!

We are getting both! So no worries...

Do we get shanksa tower???

Dudes!!

We are getting both! So no worries...

Do we get shanksa tower???

just trying to bump this... HBJ reported a 12% increase in vacancy rates in Houston. Is there any doubt for HC6 going up or can anyone confirm the full intention here?

The way this was reported, it sounded like a sure thing to happen this summer.

just trying to bump this... HBJ reported a 12% increase in vacancy rates in Houston. Is there any doubt for HC6 going up or can anyone confirm the full intention here?

The way this was reported, it sounded like a sure thing to happen this summer.

There is plenty of reason to question the reality of 6HC starting construction this summer (see, for example, the "ground-breaking" for the previous version of 6HC some years ago).

BUT, I don't think the HBJ reported a 12% increase in vacancy rates in Houston.  If they did, they got it wrong.  Given the state of Houston reporting, it wouldn't be all that shocking of a local paper got something that wrongm but here is what I find reported in the HBH:  According to CBRE, as reported in the HBJ, the overall market vacancy rate indeed increased very slightly, from 11.8% at the end of 2013 to 11.9% at the end of the 1st quarter 2014.  (That is roughly an 8/10ths of one percent increase in the vacancy rate.)

Edited by Houston19514

There is plenty of reason to question the reality of 6HC starting construction this summer (see, for example, the "ground-breaking" for the previous version of 6HC some years ago).

BUT, I don't think the HBJ reported a 12% increase in vacancy rates in Houston.  If they did, they got it wrong.  Given the state of Houston reporting, it wouldn't be all that shocking of a local paper got something that wrongm but here is what I find reported in the HBH:  According to CBRE, as reported in the HBJ, the overall market vacancy rate indeed increased very slightly, from 11.8% at the end of 2013 to 11.9% at the end of the 1st quarter 2014.  (That is roughly an 8/10ths of one percent increase in the vacancy rate.)

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up - I guess i read it wrong.

Office vacancy rates increased by .1 percent from the fourth quarter of 2013 at 11.8 percent  to the first quarter of 2014, which was at 11.9 percent, according to a national report released March 27 by Los Angeles-based CBRE Group Inc. (NYSE: CBG). However, demand for key submarkets and trophy assets is still hot.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2014/03/rent-vacancy-up-for-houston-s-offices.html