Spot The Editor Contest

editor

The Earth has shifted...

The stars have aligned...

And Jupiter is in the house of the hallucinating Pluto...

HAIF-Spot-The-Editor-One.gif

By now you've seen this graphic on HAIF. That's the Montagu Hotel. And an explosion. And a big fat red spot announcing a new contest.

Put simply -- a number of coincidences have come together and I will be in Houston for the implosion of the Montagu Hotel on Sunday, January 20th, 2008. It will be my first return to Houston since I left in 2004. A lot has changed and I'm looking forward to seeing what's new and different.

This is such a rare occurrence (and hopefully one that will become less rare now that I'm a small businessman) it seems like a good opportunity to hold a contest. So we're going to play "Spot the Editor." Here's how it works:

I'll be somewhere in the crowd that morning. I don't know where or when, but I'll be there somewhere. Your job is to figure out which one of the architecture nerds in the audience is me. To make sure you don't wander from person to person bothering everyone in the crowd all morning long, the only way you can win is if you say the phrase that pays in a loud, clear, distinct voice. That phrase is

"I'll give you a chocolate bar for a peek at what's in your pocket."

Since there was such huge interest in the pre-Christmas nano giveaway, the item in my pocket will be another HAIF-engraved iPod Nano in HAIFy blue. You don't have to actually have a chocolate bar, but if you don't say the exact phrase and say it loud enough, you can't win.

I won't be able to hang around after the implosion for drinks, but hopefully I'll get to meet at least one of you -- and hand you a shiny new iPod.

One note -- Moderators are not eligible for this contest because they know where I'm staying and could simply stake out the hotel to see who drives from there to the implosion to narrow down the field.

Good luck!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could you have come up with a phrase any more perverted sounding than that? :o

Actually, I did. Several. But I toned it down.

I want to make people use their noggins and pick one person who might be the Editor rather than just carpet bomb the area with HAIF questions generating ill will.

But who isn't willing to take a couple of punches in the throat from strangers for the chance to win an iPod?

I intend to be there with my roomie and gal. I'll let her ask random guys that question.

What time Sunday is the implosion happening ?

My prediction - Editor won't be giving away a Nano that morning.

Too big a crowd and too few haifers there.

I intend to be there with my roomie and gal. I'll let her ask random guys that question.

What time Sunday is the implosion happening ?

My prediction - Editor won't be giving away a Nano that morning.

Too big a crowd and too few haifers there.

It only takes one person asking the right person the right question.

Can we get a picture of you?

I have no idea what you look like.

Nobody knows what I look like. It wouldn't be much of a contest if I started posting pictures of myself on HAIF. I'm going to make you earn that iPod.

Nobody knows what I look like. It wouldn't be much of a contest if I started posting pictures of myself on HAIF. I'm going to make you earn that iPod.

Am I mistaken? Thought you'd posted a picture of yourself on the 'old' HAIF...

Oh, it's out there... :)

EditorFeet.jpg

From that photo, I think we can deduce that editor has feet smaller than 60 percent of the male population.

He is also left-handed. B)

I may show up for the implosion if I can pull myself out of bed that early in the morning.

He is also left-handed. B)

He could also be one of the persons in the background. :ph34r:

Its rumoured he merely existed like Hal on 2001: A Space Odyssey

I know you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Its rumoured he merely existed like Hal on 2001: A Space Odyssey

I know you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

He's like Max Headroom, just a computer generated image.

He's real. He's sort of like Charlie with 4,400+ angels.

"Your assignment, Angels, is to find me at a building implosion, and offer me chocolate"

phonepic.jpg

Archived