Spot The Editor Contest

editor

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like Torst spent the better half of his day calling hotels asking to be connected to Wayne Lorentz's room. When he finally found where Editor was staying, he called the concierge and made his request.

The concierge (Posh) at this point, researched and found that she could technically be considered the winner. With this knowledge in hand, she decided to just keep the iPod, and when Torst arrived, concocted a story about how Editor didn't leave it with her (for whatever reason).

It sounds like Torst spent the better half of his day calling hotels asking to be connected to Wayne Lorentz's room. When he finally found where Editor was staying, he called the concierge and made his request.

The concierge (Posh) at this point, researched and found that she could technically be considered the winner. With this knowledge in hand, she decided to just keep the iPod, and when Torst arrived, concocted a story about how Editor didn't leave it with her (for whatever reason).

:lol::lol::lol:

But how could Torst win it? Editor said: "The first person to ask for the nano gets it." Torst didn't ask for it, Posh did.

I guess that is technically correct.

But how could Torst win it? Editor said: "The first person to ask for the nano gets it." Torst didn't ask for it, Posh did.

True.... but up until these timestamp and hilton employee computer log questions came up....we assume Posh had never heard of Haif until Torst supposedly called up the hotel and asked Posh/concierge to go claim it on his behalf.

Since we don't have a record of Torst's posts before claiming the prize, i wonder if editor has verified Torst's computer was actually lurking prior to this and did legitimately know of the contest.

Torst's first HAIF post ever was 32 hours editor's 3:05 announcement moving the contest to the hotel, and 30 hours after Posh graced us with her presence.

Prior to Editor's Sunday 3:05 announcment that the contest had moved to the hotel, the thread was inactive for nearly 48 hours...

So there is no way prior to that announcement that a) Torst would have known that catching editor at the hotel was an option and B ) that someone hadn't claimed it at the implosion.

So i don't buy that Torst was searching every hotel looking for editor prior to that announcement. It makes no sense that Posh would have gotten the call from Torst prior to that announcement.

It's not a time zone issue. All of those times were taken from the server log and then converted to Central. I don't know why the Hilton employee was Googling HAIF before the 3:05pm announcement. I thought that was very strange, too.

Also, the HAIF web address is engraved into the back of the iPod so a Googling wouldn't really be necessary. Unless the person with the iPod didn't open it to see the engraving until some other time.

True.... but up until these timestamp and hilton employee computer log questions came up....we assume Posh had never heard of Haif until Torst supposedly called up the hotel and asked Posh/concierge to go claim it on his behalf.
Which perfectly explains the Hilton computer's activity. It's the actions of someone who only barely knows what is going on. All she knew was HAIF Houston. She most likely didn't even know what the word stood for as Torst probably didn't even give her that much info. All she did know that Torst wanted to win a brand new iPod Touch by making first contact with Editor, per the rules on HAIF.

So she takes that info to the web, and investigates herself, about this iPod she's supposedly going to claim for a stranger. When she finally figures out the rules (by finding and reading the thread), she realizes that the iPod can be hers since it is going to be her who makes the contact. From there, all she had to do was interoffice one of her buddies at the checkout desk to find out which room Editor was in, since she now had his name. He buddy at the check out desk probably told her "He just checked out, but he's sitting over there in the cafe. That's him, the bald guy with the black loafers..." So she just strolled over there, and to ensure he gave it up, she stuck with the original plan of telling him that an actual Haifer called her. What she failed to tell him was that she wasn't going to give it to him, but instead lie, and say she never received it.

I imagine she had enough gumption to not be honest seeing as how Editor would have probably not given it to her then.

Since we don't have a record of Torst's posts before claiming the prize, i wonder if editor has verified Torst's computer was actually lurking prior to this and did legitimately know of the contest.
If he didn't know about the contest, then could Posh ever know to google HAIF Houston 30 minutes BEFORE Editor made an announcement. The coincidence in this entire drama is the timing of Torst's phone call to the concierge after successfully finding where Editor was staying.
Torst's first HAIF post ever was 32 hours editor's 3:05 announcement moving the contest to the hotel, and 30 hours after Posh graced us with her presence.
That makes sense. Editor said that Torst contacted him first, after the contest was over and he had went home empty handed. It was only a day later, and after we had all posted that he felt he should speak up.
Prior to Editor's Sunday 3:05 announcment that the contest had moved to the hotel, the thread was inactive for nearly 48 hours...

So there is no way prior to that announcement that a) Torst would have known that catching editor at the hotel was an option and B ) that someone hadn't claimed it at the implosion.

By inactive, you mean that no one posted in that thread. I'm sure that thread was viewed multiple times each of those 48 hours between postings. I know I was one of those. I would check the thread, scan, re-read, and then close it, all without posting.
So i don't buy that Torst was searching every hotel looking for editor prior to that announcement. It makes no sense that Posh would have gotten the call from Torst prior to that announcement.
It makes perfect sense if you realize that this exact action was the only true coincidence in the entire drama.

Look at the timestamps from the HAIF logs. Wayne's announcement of WHERE he was staying came a full 40 minutes AFTER the "Hilton Employee" computer logged on and did all it's googling. The timeframes don't match up, UNLESS, Posh and Torst are in it TOGETHER and are trying to weasel ANOTHER iPod out of the kind hearted Mr. Lorentz, BUT, Wayne isn't gonna fall for "the banana in the tailpipe" routine.

I say there is one iPod Nano that was won by someone who correctly identifed the keeper of the treasure, there is someone who has laid claim that HE sent the person who claimed the prize as a squire on their behalf, let those two handle it amongst themselves since they both live here and Wayne has been long gone since Sunday.

It's not a time zone issue. All of those times were taken from the server log and then converted to Central. I don't know why the Hilton employee was Googling HAIF before the 3:05pm announcement. I thought that was very strange, too.

When Torst was explaining things to you, did he tell you at what time he called the hotel and does that fit in the 10 minute window according to your log of events?

Do any of the IPs of the regulars here match that of a hilton employee computer..... perhaps one of the regulars is a hotel manager in real life.

Does Torst's IP show up as having visited haif in the 25 minutes between your 3:05 post and your 3:30 post?

Actually.. couldn't you narrow down significantly a list of those regulars and others that did see the contest thread in that 25 minutes?

How many unique visitors could that possibly be on a lazy sunday afternoon in so brief a period ? That would definitely be an eliminator round... if you didn't view that page in that 25 minute period, there's no way you could have won.

That should be a relatively small list, right ?

By inactive, you mean that no one posted in that thread. I'm sure that thread was viewed multiple times each of those 48 hours between postings. I know I was one of those. I would check the thread, scan, re-read, and then close it, all without posting.

Yes I mean nobody posted in the thread.. which means there was no news that it wasn't claimed in the morning like everyone assumed it would be... and there was no reason for anyone to think that claiming at the hotel, and not the implosion, would actually count.

I read the thread during that time too.. but i learned nothing new since it had been inactive for nearly 2 days.

There was no way Torst would have thought that catching him at the hotel would have been legit to win it.. and also why would anyone go through all that trouble to find out which hotel editor is staying in only to find that the ipod was claimed hours earlier actually at the implosion like the previous rules (pre 3:05) stipulated.

Editor, did anyone at the hotel, at anytime possibly over hear a conversation concerning the iPod. Did you tell anyone at the hotel about the contest?
Also, the HAIF web address is engraved into the back of the iPod so a Googling wouldn't really be necessary. Unless the person with the iPod didn't open it to see the engraving until some other time.
But Posh wouldn't have seen the back of the iPod anyway, as she didn't take possession of it until after the Hilton computer had logged the suspicious activity, right?

When Torst was explaining things to you, did he tell you at what time he called the hotel and does that fit in the 10 minute window according to your log of events?
If he didn't before, no answer he gives now can be verified.
Do any of the IPs of the regulars here match that of a hilton employee computer..... perhaps one of the regulars is a hotel manager in real life.
That was my first thought. Start checking IP's to see if Torst's has ever registered as coming from the Hilton, or check to see if Posh & Torst are sharing an IP.
Does Torst's IP show up as having visited haif in the 25 minutes between your 3:05 post and your 3:30 post Actually.. couldn't you narrow down significantly a list of those regulars and others that did see the contest thread in that 25 minutes? How many unique visitors could that possibly be on a lazy sunday afternoon in so brief a period ? That would definitely be an eliminator round... if you didn't view that page in that 25 minute period, there's no way you could have won.
Not necessarily. He could have been calling hotels all day and just landed on Editor 30 minutes before he checked out, sat down and began typing in the cafe.
Yes I mean nobody posted in the thread.. which means there was no news that it wasn't claimed in the morning like everyone assumed it would be... and there was no reason for anyone to think that claiming at the hotel, and not the implosion, would actually count.

There was no way Torst would have thought that catching him at the hotel would have been legit to win it.. and also why would anyone go through all that trouble to find out which hotel editor is staying in only to find that the ipod was claimed hours earlier actually at the implosion like the previous rules (pre 3:05) stipulated.

Editor never said that explicitly you had to walk up to him at the Montagu. He only said that he would be there, and that we would not give away his hotel as that would make it too easy to win. When I read that originally, I instantly thought to call all the hotels a la Jason Bourne looking for a Mr. Wayne Lorentz. But alas, I was too lazy. So I don't count it as improbable that someone did as such.

I imagine that he got on around noon, saw that there was no winner, and said what the hell, I'll give it a shot, and started making phone calls. I remember checking the thread through out the day and thought to myself that no one must have won since nothing has been posted.

Where did the name Danielle come from BTW, someone called Posh that earlier.

Danielle was the name the concierge introduced herself to Editor as. We're assuming that her and Posh are one in the same.

I imagine that he got on around noon, saw that there was no winner, and said what the hell, I'll give it a shot, and started making phone calls. I remember checking the thread through out the day and thought to myself that no one must have won since nothing has been posted.

Your scenario could work, but i still think it's a stretch.

Regardless if she knew beforehand or not..

Upon finding out at 3:09 that this contest that some stranger phoned her about is legit, the prize has not been given away, and that the person holding the prize is in fact in the very hotel she works at...

Why the heck would she bother to sign up for Haif at this point, why would she keep running google searches on haif... that doesnt make sense.

Why wouldnt she immediately run and go claim this ipod ?

She must be pretty cocky to plan to brag on the site, go through the trouble of signing up, before she even got her hands on the ipod

Your scenario could work, but i still think it's a stretch.

Regardless if she knew beforehand or not..

Upon finding out at 3:09 that this contest that some stranger phoned her about is legit, the prize has not been given away, and that the person holding the prize is in fact in the very hotel she works at...

Why the heck would she bother to sign up for Haif at this point, why would she keep running google searches on haif... that doesnt make sense.

Why wouldnt she immediately run and go claim this ipod ?

She must be pretty cocky to plan to brag on the site, go through the trouble of signing up, before she even got her hands on the ipod

Probably so that she could "legitimately" claim the iPod as hers. I think though that the validation feature slowed her down, forcing her to improvise, thus lie to Editor & Torst.

Which perfectly explains the Hilton computer's activity. It's the actions of someone who only barely knows what is going on. All she knew was HAIF Houston. She most likely didn't even know what the word stood for as Torst probably didn't even give her that much info. All she did know that Torst wanted to win a brand new iPod Touch by making first contact with Editor, per the rules on HAIF.

So she takes that info to the web, and investigates herself, about this iPod she's supposedly going to claim for a stranger.

How could she take that info to the web when that info wasn't available until 40 minutes later? Editor didn't say he was in the Hilton lobby, or that the rules of the contest had changed, until 3:05pm, 40 minutes after the Hilton employee computer was googling "HAIF".

That sure looks like an error in the timeline. Either that, or Danielle/posh has mastered unknown aspects of quantum mechanics.

The only advantage to calling around to ALL the hotels a day or 2 prior is so that they could "stake out" the hotel and wait for Wayne to emerge. It would be a longshot to figure out which guy Wayne was and start following in the hopes that the guy they are following is headed over to the Montague Demo, but, it could happen.

Bottomline, Posh AKA Danielle, got the Nano from editor, she lied to Torst about receiving the Nano, or Torst and her are in it together somehow.

Mastering the Quantum Leap for a lousy Nano........" Oh boy....." .

How could she take that info to the web when that info wasn't available until 40 minutes later? Editor didn't say he was in the Hilton lobby, or that the rules of the contest had changed, until 3:05pm, 40 minutes after the Hilton employee computer was googling "HAIF".

That sure looks like an error in the timeline. Either that, or Danielle/posh has mastered unknown aspects of quantum mechanics.

No no no... She took only the words "HAIF Houston" to the web. She probably had that, and only that just from her phone conversation with Torst. Editor didn't have to say he was in the Hilton lobby. It's probable that Torst, once finding out from the front desk that Wayne Lorentz was staying there, called the concierge and gave his name to her, so she could confront him for the iPod.

She took upon herself to find out what room Wayne was in, only to be told by the front desk that they had just checked him out, but that he was sitting across the way in the cafe. She then easily looked up the contest, found out she could claim it for herself, attempted to sign-up, failed, and went to Plan B: take it on behalf of Torst, then later lie to Torst.

No quantum-anything required.

I'm not saying posh is guilty yet. I still can't for the life of me say she is when she was already searching for HAIF HOUSTON 30 minutes BEFORE editor made up the new rule for claiming the ipod.

How does that make sense?

We're all assuming torst is telling the truth and he/she has not show their face in quite a while.

No no no... She took only the words "HAIF Houston" to the web. She probably had that, and only that just from her phone conversation with Torst.

So Torst called her before Editor changed the rules? How did Torst know about the new rules before the Editor posted them?

Editor didn't have to say he was in the Hilton lobby. It's probable that Torst, once finding out from the front desk that Wayne Lorentz was staying there, called the concierge and gave his name to her, so she could confront him for the iPod.

I think you mean "improbable". Why would Torst call the Hilton before the rules changed and before anyone knew Editor was at the Hilton?

So Torst called her before Editor changed the rules? How did Torst know about the new rules before the Editor posted them?

Because of this:

One note -- Moderators are not eligible for this contest because they know where I'm staying and could simply stake out the hotel to see who drives from there to the implosion to narrow down the field.

When I read that, my first thought was to just call all the hotels downtown and ask for Wayne Lorentz. Then I could find out where he was staying and do exactly as he didn't want to be done: follow him to the implosion.

My guess (and it's only that) is that Torst thought of doing it too but, for whatever reason, didn't. Then, after the implosion and still no update on the web, he figured he'd try for it anyway. So he began calling all the downtown hotels. He asked each one for Wayne Lorentz. Finally the Hilton-Americas told him Wayne was staying there. So he called the concierge and asked her to flag Wayne down/go to his room/call him/or whatever and lock in the iPod for him.

That's where Posh & the Hilton internet traffic come into play.

Think outside the box for a moment. Everyone is holding on to this iron-clad "rule" about how Editor would only give the iPod away at the implosion. Let go of that "rule" and suddenly certain people and their actions make more sense, as it's completely possible that they too have been thinking outside the box the whole time.

Because of this:

When I read that, my first thought was to just call all the hotels downtown and ask for Wayne Lorentz. Then I could find out where he was staying and do exactly as he didn't want to be done: follow him to the implosion.

My guess (and it's only that) is that Torst thought of doing it too but, for whatever reason, didn't. Then, after the implosion and still no update on the web, he figured he'd try for it anyway. So he began calling all the downtown hotels. He asked each one for Wayne Lorentz. Finally the Hilton-Americas told him Wayne was staying there. So he called the concierge and asked her to flag Wayne down/go to his room/call him/or whatever and lock in the iPod for him.

That's where Posh & the Hilton internet traffic come into play.

I'll believe that if you can answer this for me. Even if torst told the concierge to find editor, why would he tell her about haif? And how did she know haif was related to Houston?

I'll believe that if you can answer this for me. Even if torst told the concierge to find editor, why would he tell her about haif? And how did she know haif was related to Houston?
Sure.. one of two reasons she knew. Either he voluntarily told her, or.. She being suspicious of being asked to confront a guest about an iPod give away demanded more details from Torst before agreeing to do so.

I know that if I was a concierge, and I get a phone call from a stranger asking me to confront a guest at my hotel about an iPod give away, that I would demand more information before complying.

I can imagine this is why she only had the words "HAIF Houston" to google at first. That's probably all Torst told her - that it was a give away from Wayne to one of the members of HAIF. Which further explains her hasty attempt to register as a member.

Go look at the timeline again, it really does make sense.

I must say, she is not that good lookin either...

What with all this deceit and espionage, I had imagined her as a real flame. Alas, I was mistaken.

(sorry posh)

Really? She's not super hot or anything, but she's got a cute thing goin to me.

Archived