sttombiz

5 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

More importantly, they fixed the fountain between Baker and Jones just in time for summer. It's my dog's favorite spot on campus other than begging for food from students... oh, and Rice Bikes!

It took me a minute before I realized you were talking about Baker Hall and the Jones School building (McNair Hall), rather than Baker College, Jones College, and the "fairy fountain" between Jones and Brown Colleges. 

Then again, I still think of Baker Hall and McNair Hall as "those new buildings", even though they've been there for 20+ and 15+ years, respectively.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/25/2018 at 0:18 AM, Urbannizer said:

Rice University's School of Social Science department will begin construction on a new building 3Q 2018.

https://www.usgbc.org/projects/rice-university-school-social-science

http://news.rice.edu/2018/07/16/rice-to-break-ground-on-new-school-of-social-sciences-building-this-summer-2/

Rice University will break ground on the Patricia Lipoma Kraft ’87 and Jonathan A. Kraft Hall for Social Sciences, a new home for the School of Social Sciences, in August. The new building will be named for Patti and Jonathan Kraft, the lead donors for the project.

The new $38 million, four-story, 73,000-square-foot building is expected to be completed by November 2019 and open prior to the spring 2020 semester. It will include classrooms, seminar and conference rooms, undergraduate and graduate student lounges and a multipurpose space that can hold nearly 300 people for guest lectures and other events. It will be located on the former site of Intramural Field 6 at the corner of College Way and Alumni Drive, just south of Baker Hall and east of Tudor Fieldhouse, and will be the first structure on Rice’s new South Axis that will eventually extend from McNair Hall south to the corner of University Boulevard and Main Street.

The building will have an interior courtyard. The first floor will be open at the northeast end for entrance from the center of campus and at the southwest corner for an outside event and reception space. The building’s formal entrance will be at the west end of the courtyard. A large staircase will overlook the courtyard and act as an architectural feature.

The exterior of the building will have a curtain wall at the northeast end that features the St. Joe brick traditionally used in Rice’s architecture, along with windows on the south and west sides. Cast stone and marble will add more color and detail to the building exterior.

1706_APPROACH-b-uawof9.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't seen any mention of this anywhere aside from a very brief "breaking news" piece on the Thresher's website last week, but it appears that Rice is going to demolish the Media Center and relocate the Visual and Dramatic Arts programs it currently supports to a remodeled Sewall Hall. The piece didn't provide many details, but reading between the lines a bit it sure sounded like the decision was being driven a lot more by the administration than anyone affiliated with VADA, leading one to wonder exactly what (if anything) they plan to do with the land the Media Center currently occupies. 

I had a strong suspicion that this day would come sooner rather than later after they razed the Media Center's adjacent twin, the old Art Barn, but this is one time I really wish I'd been wrong. I would put the seemingly-imminent loss of the Media Center and all the history it embodies right up there with the KTRU fire sale, in terms of decisions by this administration that have made me feel somewhat less than proud to be a Rice alum. 

Bonus: the Thresher piece was posted literally the day after VADA announced the passing of Gerald O'Grady, the founding director of the Media Center, on its Facebook page. Sic transit gloria mundi.

http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2019/04/media-center-removal

Edited by mkultra25
added hyperlink
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Update with additional information about the pending Media Center demolition:

http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2019/04/impending-rice-media-center-teardown-clouds-vada-future

And a new announcement that there are also plans to demolish the Rice Memorial Center (except for the Chapel) and replace it with a new multicultural center and student center:

http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2019/04/new-multicultural-center-to-be-included-in-major-rmc-renovations

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I'm uncomfortably reminded of a scene from "Who's Afraid of VIrginia Woolf?", where George goes on a rant, accusing Nick of using genetic engineering to create a world of ideal men; and that in this world there wouldn't be room for music or painting.
Rice's administration seems to be on board with that future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timoric said:

Question: does Rice have an unusually large campus for such a small enrollment? Obviously the stadium is over-kill, but isn't Rice smaller than some Texas high schools and has all these buildings

At 7000+ undergraduate and postgraduate enrollment combined, plus almost 700 academic faculty and 2000+ administrative staff, I’d say Rice is significantly larger than any high school in Texas.  But, compared to other universities at its level, yes, it is on the small side.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Timoric said:

Question: does Rice have an unusually large campus for such a small enrollment? Obviously the stadium is over-kill, but isn't Rice smaller than some Texas high schools and has all these buildings

The stadium opened in 1950 and would sell out frequently when it was the only real game in town. In the mid-70's, it sold out several times for UH-A&M games, all 70,000 seats.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ross said:

The stadium opened in 1950 and would sell out frequently when it was the only real game in town. In the mid-70's, it sold out several times for UH-A&M games, all 70,000 seats.

Rice was a powerhouse in Southwest Conference football in the 50s, winning two conference championships, something that may be hard to fathom for those whose only frame of reference is the latter-day program.

Also, I suspect they sold out the stadium for Super Bowl VIII in 1974:

rawImage.jpg 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Fun Fact: JFKs, "We Choose to go to the moon" Speech was given right in the middle of Rice Stadium  

The head of NASA is visiting campus this afternoon for the dedication of a plaque at the stadium and a "next-generation moon tree" commemorating JFK's speech. Apparently there were several hundred seeds that travelled on the Apollo 14 mission, and the trees that were subsequently grown from those seeds are known as "moon trees". The one they're dedicating today originated as a cutting from one of the original trees. 

• Like 6