Cabo Restaurant At 1111 Westheimer Rd.

VelvetJ

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Link to Houston Press's review of Montrose Diner is here.

Haven't been there yet, and this review does nothing to encourage me to do so. If I want bad food and service, I'll just eat at home...

Never thought I'd see the day that Charlie's would be missed.

A word of advise to the management: if you can't get good waiters, at least make sure they're cute.

Wow!

The Houston Press got medieval on their ass.  That will pretty much will keep me from going there.

I liked Charlie's.  It was a freak show late at night.  Food was decent.

Wow, I just had a flashback. I remember going to a Charlie's as a kid with my dad in the late 70's. I remember the sign said "Over a dozen served" or something funny like that. I loved that place back then. Is it the same one?

Wow, I just had a flashback.  I remember going to a Charlie's as a kid with my dad in the late 70's.  I remember the sign said "Over a dozen served" or something funny like that.  I loved that place back then.  Is it the same one?

I think you're thinking of Charlie's Hamburgers, a now defunct fast-food chain. They had a singing TV ad: "Charlie's Hamburgers....good ol' hamburgers...Charlie's Hamburgers...good ol' hamburgers..." , etc.

This Charlie's was located on Westheimer @ Waugh. In the late 70's the building was occupied by a strip-joint called (and I'm not making this up) The Booby Rock. After the BR closed, it was converted into Charlie's, a 24-hour diner very popular with the after-hours/Montrose crowd. The building is now occupied by Chances, a predominately lesbian bar.

While IMHO Charlie's food was so-so, the atmosphere made it worth it. I hope Montrose Diner can succeed on personality and location, since food and service seem to not be their strong suits.

I think you're thinking of Charlie's Hamburgers, a now defunct fast-food chain. They had a singing TV ad: "Charlie's Hamburgers....good ol' hamburgers...Charlie's Hamburgers...good ol' hamburgers..." , etc.

This Charlie's was located on Westheimer @ Waugh. In the late 70's the building was occupied by a strip-joint called (and I'm not making this up) The Booby Rock. After the BR closed, it was converted into Charlie's, a 24-hour diner very popular with the after-hours/Montrose crowd. The  building is now occupied by Chances, a predominately lesbian bar.

While IMHO Charlie's food was so-so, the atmosphere made it worth it. I hope Montrose Diner can succeed on personality and location, since food and service seem to not be their strong suits.

I just called my dad. Charlie's hamburgers was on Ella and 16th street.

Oh, now I remember! I've been to Charlie's at Westheimer & Waugh. I had forgotten the name. We used to go there after 2am on weekends for the "sights". My favorite memory was being greeted at the door by the hairiest man I've ever seen, wearing a pink lowcut evening gown, pearls, and heels. (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I just called my dad.  Charlie's hamburgers was on Ella and 16th street.

Oh, now I remember!  I've been to Charlie's at Westheimer & Waugh.  I had forgotten the name.  We used to go there after 2am on weekends for the "sights".  My favorite memory was being greeted at the door by the hairiest man I've ever seen, wearing a pink lowcut evening gown, pearls, and heels.  (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Charlies is pretty much crap in my opinion.

After reading that review in the Press, I definitely won't be trying this place when I'm back in town. It sounds awful. What a shame, as it could have had so much potential. I'll just stick to Katz's for late night dining in Montrose.

• 1 month later...

The Montrose Diner is not that bad....I had the chicken breast when I went there and it was pretty good. IMO, The biggest problem with that part of the Montrose area is that covenant house (behind the diner) and all the thugs and hustlers it attracts. :angry: To make matters worse, I heard that they are adding a SPECS liquor store in that shopping center next to the half price books. So the covenant kids and bums can get plastered even faster before they commit their crimes.

I've noticed that you can't walk anywhere around that area without being asked for money from someone. The thing to do though is to act like a crazed, confused, psycho yourself when walking around there. :blink: Yep, add a funky, igor-crazed walk to your stride, and EVERYONE will leave you alone ......be it Bum, Skaterkid, or Hustler.

or..............you can beat 'em at their own game and ask them for $.25 before they ask you. :lol:

BTW, I think Katz's is too overpriced, even if your food does come on a metal plate. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

montrose diner - hmmm - when it first opened i worked next door at the bookstore, and we all gave it a fair shot (or three) but something would get screwed up badly every time (food, money, service, service, service...) and it especially hurt when we were watching the clock to get back to work!

when it first opened, the food was...well, it was like taking a selection from the frozen food section at kroger. the service wasn't bad, though.

as time went by, the food got better, and the service worse.

i guess you can't have both! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

parking is definitely an issue, and it seems to have alot to do with the neighboring shopping center (not to mention the landlord of said shopping center is apparently a huge &*&$#...but i won't name any names...heh).

i don't know if the street kids are such a problem. i know that between the time when cabo closed and montrose diner opened, the kids flocked to the front of the building on westheimer as a haven...and then dissipated more and more to the rear of the complex after...

i think the haunted idea is probably accurate :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I really wonder if Coco's Sushi is open, it doesn't look inviting, plus they don't have a sign yet. I walked past there today around noon but didn't attempt to open the door and I didn't see any cars there.

I believe this is actually a second location for Coco's Sushi, with the original located west of the Galleria at Richmond & Fountainview. That one is pretty decent, if basic, so the new Montrose location should be good... but then there's the parking issue, and Cabo didn't survive there either. We'll see.

according to someone's review on b4-u-eat, Coco's moved from the old Galleria location, to the new larger location on 1111 Westheimer

I am a little confused. Is the old Cabo / Montrose Diner location now a Sushi place. I have not been down there for some time and I am not sure what is going on with this site.

I am a little confused. Is the old Cabo / Montrose Diner location now a Sushi place. I have not been down there for some time and I am not sure what is going on with this site.

yes, that sounds to be the case from what i've read here and on b4-u-eat.

the old Cabo is a Sushi spot, which moved from its Galleria location. I'll probably check it out this weekend or next week.

b4-u-eat review for Coco's

Archived