Shoe Warehouse At 1711 McGowen St.

EastMidtowner

I noticed that too...

I hadn't heard anything, but I suppose most anything is better. I'm not sure how much more market there is with Ellie Lofts, the Tricon buildings, the Urban Loft buildings, and all the new ones up and down Jackson/Crawford. Plus, the realtors are still saying that the Collective will be built.

Need some retail/dining to make it more of a neighborhood.

• Like 1

I'm highly doubtful but hopeful the developer includes some retail in that block, like a book store or coffee shop. This side of midtown needs something besides more randomly designed 3-story townhomes. Right now, there's really nothing within walking distance around here...even the post office on Crawford/Hadley is distribution only.

• Like 1

Update - the warehouse is down completely... pile of rubble as of this morning (unless my eyes deceived me) so we'll see when they start clearing if it is being built, or if it will just be an open lot with for sale signs.

BTW - where is there an apartment complex at Gray and Chenevert? I've never noticed any construction over there.

• Like 1

Update - the warehouse is down completely... pile of rubble as of this morning (unless my eyes deceived me) so we'll see when they start clearing if it is being built, or if it will just be an open lot with for sale signs.

BTW - where is there an apartment complex at Gray and Chenevert? I've never noticed any construction over there.

Construction has not started at Gray and Chenevert. About a month ago there was a variance request sign up for a little while, then almost immediately, a marketing sign advertising an apartment complex was put up in its place.

Not sure of the timeframe of that project. I was kinda hoping, although this is a dream that the apartment complex would take up several of the vacant blocks around that area, sort of like the AMLI. Put some retail on the bottom level and that will certainly help the area out quite a bit.

Its going to be 30 townhomes by Waterhill priced in the low to mid 300's.

(im speaking to the shoe warehouse).

Cool how did you find that out?

Any movement on the Octerbeck building on the adjacent? That place looks terrible.

That building is now a self-storage place called Neartown Mini Storage. I have no idea why it's called Neartown since it's in Midtown but it's better than a vacant building. That block has really been cleaned up.

wow, another 30 units? with the ellie lofts, the terramark homes on chenevert, city scene II, etc.

this area is really getting built out... i wonder if over-built is the more appropriate term.

anybody feel strongly one way or the other? i'm interested b/c i live in this section.

• 2 years later...

It looks like they may have attempted to, but construction ceased due to unknown reasons. You can see this single row of identical townhomes which were partially constructed on the north side of the block around 2007-2008.

They have been sitting vacant and fenced off for over a year. I imagine due to the open window frames there is significant damage from Ike and other weather since they stopped construction. I'm not familiar with the builder, but at least one of the units was sold at one point.

IMG_0216.jpg

It looks like they may have attempted to, but construction ceased due to unknown reasons. You can see this single row of identical townhomes which were partially constructed on the north side of the block around 2007-2008.

They have been sitting vacant and fenced off for over a year. I imagine due to the open window frames there is significant damage from Ike and other weather since they stopped construction. I'm not familiar with the builder, but at least one of the units was sold at one point.

Thanks for resurrecting this old thread. I've always wondered about that empty block of town homes. I can't stand looking at them (they sure do ugly up the street in their current state). So do you think these things sit vacant for another ten years... or do you think a developer will eventually try to repair and sell them?

I just looked around online and found this about the developer... http://waterhillhomessuck.com/page11/page11.html Looks like they are now bankrupt (the url of the company no longer works either)

Edited by brian0123

They are finally starting to tear down the old shoe warehouse building on the corner of Jackson/McGowen/Chenevert. Does anyone know what's going in there? There was a rumor a long time ago about a mid-rise going in there.

The Sunset Theater once stood on that property behind those townhomes. The entrance pavement is visible, still, in the middle of the block (GoogleEarth). It wasn't a really fancy theater, but still a shame that it's gone. In later years, part or all of the shoe warehouse was in the same bldg. There was a two-story house w/ columns that stood across the street , corner of McGowan & Jackson. It sat across from the theater, on the corner of McGowan & Jackson. Gone now.

Edited by NenaE

• 12 years later...

That property was owned by Consolidated Graphics Properties, a subsidiary of R R Donnely, the printing company that owned the block to the West, across Jackson. Both properties were sold in a transaction recorded on July 23, 2021 to 1702 McGowen, llc. The officer of the llc is Aspen Grey Homes from Austin. I refuse to pay the Secretary of State to search records, so I have no idea who actually runs things. I expect the printing building on the West side of Jackson will be demolished at some point.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ross said:

That property was owned by Consolidated Graphics Properties, a subsidiary of R R Donnely, the printing company that owned the block to the West, across Jackson. Both properties were sold in a transaction recorded on July 23, 2021 to 1702 McGowen, llc. The officer of the llc is Aspen Grey Homes from Austin. I refuse to pay the Secretary of State to search records, so I have no idea who actually runs things. I expect the printing building on the West side of Jackson will be demolished at some point.

They've got a whole tangle of LLCs, which were all created in the past 2-3 months and everything was set up through registered agents and attorneys. Based on the name, this sounds like more townhomes which is a shame if they own an entire block and a half.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to McGowen/Jackson/Chenevert - Old Shoe Warehouse
  • 1 month later...

Since the last update, stormwater detention and driveways have been added. Work has started on the townhomes as well.

I was told by a neighbor that the car dealership at McIlhenny & Caroline (Delta Auto Alliance) will be moving into the former warehouse across the street. I never noticed one, but I guess there's a roll-up door somewhere to get the cars inside the building.

Reminder of the site plan:

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Shoe Warehouse At 1711 McGowen St.