I feel like these are apples and oranges. This sounds more like private sector business oriented/ start up. The UT one sounds like purely research.  

All kidding aside from my earlier post, I don't think anyone (that's even including the UT brass really) know what the UT campus is going to be.

I do have a feeling they are both going to attempt to tap into the whole public-private-research-business-incubator-academic nebulousness (word?).

That and TMC3. All three of which will now have to fight harder to claim a stake in certain fields.

I for one think that the competition and the lofty goals of all three would be a huge boon for Houston.... and the timing can't come soon enough with oil swirling the proverbial toilet bowl right now.

• Like 1

U. of Houston has been developing the Energy research center for at least ten years when they took over the

Slumberger headquarters about a mile east of U of H on 45. They already have repurposed several of the buildings,including the Petroleum engineering school and they are working on several other projects to provide a complete range of energy related departments. This is not a quick knee jerk response to UT's plans, but

merely another step in the development of this planned development to work with the local energy companies, provide more talent for the energy sector, and help develop research into useful and profitable projects

for joint ventures with others. This has been written about many times in the Chronicle, HBJ and other

magazines over the last five years. My sister in law works for the Engineering department in this new campus and I have been in the building many times. Just because U.T has many of these types of arrangements

doesn't mean they own the concept of developing patents and products that help deliver returns for this

research.

So don't try and suggest that U of H is taking a shot across the bow. We are merely continuing our growth

plan to become a tier one research University and a leader in Energy research, and doing very well on our

own.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

oi6sus.jpg

xgites.jpg

Very early renderings of the renovated hofheinz pavilion

141ksx4.jpg

http://www.scout.com/college/houston/forums/2804-uh-football/14575085-hunter-s-presentation-to-the-board-of-regents-today 

also 

BIG News in H-Town - The University of Houston Board of Regents gave approval Thursday for the Houston Department of Athletics to move forward with the design of an indoor football facility

Edited by Mab
  • Like 3

cougar-psd80626.png

UHlogo.png

^^^ nooooooow this is what i have been speaking of... UH with it's can-do attitude, as well as it's can-do spirit!

we at TEXAS have been waiting... and waiting... and waiting... to finally view our brand new renderings of our various planned / forthcoming new and state of the art athletic venues.

and yet, every time that i turn around... UH is introducing new and beautifully brilliant concepts aimed at totally reinvigorating their campus.

as a houstonian, i could not be prouder of this most wonderful institution...

go coogs!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Timber_Logo.png

^^^ i do indeed pray that the lady walking by in the coral jacket is yelling TIMBERRRRR... that tree is falling down... right?

on a more serious note, this brand new UH basketball training facility is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!  

OMG, simply gorgeous!  i cannot seem to take my eyes off of it.... wow!

well done coogs!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Hofheinz family and the University of Houston are pleased to announce a resolution regarding the status of the Hofheinz Pavilion basketball arena.  Following this amicable resolution, UH will continue forward with its renaming and significant reconstruction of the basketball facility, while continuing to honor the Hofheinz legacy at the University.

As part of the agreement, UH will ask the city of Houston to rename a portion of Holman Street adjacent to the facility and the UH campus between Cullen Boulevard and Scott Street to pay tribute to UH alumnus Judge Roy Hofheinz.  UH will build a plaza with a bronze statue of Hofheinz, whose $1.5 million gift in 1969 helped construct the original facility.  An area within the UH Alumni Center will present and describe the public service of Hofheinz, and UH’s library will archive his records in a special collection.  

“We know our father, Judge Roy Hofheinz, would want the athletic program at the University of Houston to prosper. So we know he would support this move which will bring the basketball arena, which bore his name for 47 years, into the 21st century. All of us in the Hofheinz family say: “Go Coogs!” said Fred Hofheinz, son of the late judge.  

UH officials echoed those sentiments.

“I’m pleased that we can work together to honor Judge Hofheinz’s spirit of innovation and passion for development, while commemorating his indelible mark on the University.” said Hunter Yurachek, vice president for intercollegiate athletics at the University of Houston.

13416845_1227103940634714_31370298594819

http://www.uh.edu/news-events/stories/2016/June/0614Hofheinz.php

https://www.facebook.com/UHCougarMBK/?fref=ts

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Completely renovate the 50-year old arena formerly known as Hofheinz Pavilion into a modern-day sports venue fit for UH Team stature of today. In the exterior the structure and roof will be preserved but entry experience and building presentation will be completely updated.

In the interior, the low-ceiling will be eliminated, opening up the ceiling space up to 30-feet high for bowl and concourse levels; which unfortunately will involve abatement of ACM in space above the ceilign currently contained, at a cost estimated to be $5M and would take 4 months of construction time.

Other major improvement would include reconfiguring the seating bowl to capture prime seating opportunities and optiomize view lines including creating two large club areas with VIP amenities; updating branding and technology for optimal fan experience; complete upgrading and renewal of buildng equipment including up-to-date AV programs and features; utilizing facilities in the Guy V. Lewis Basketball Center via new tunnel connection; new court and scoreboard, new VIP entrance; modern HVAC systems with full Controls features, all areas to be spriniklered or otherwise with smoke-evacuation setup; all necessary improvement for ADA and Life Safety requirements, largely expanded restroom facilities (needed even though seating capacity is sligthly reduced); new food service and retail venues; all other building programs (offices, ROTC program, volly ball and handball courts, visiting team lockers and showers

UH%20ARENA.jpg 

http://www.uh.edu/facilities-planning-construction/projects/spotlight/HofheinzPavalion/

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

8.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

This 80,000 square-foot project includes a synthetic playing surface and football specific weight room that will have a direct impact on the success of the Houston Football program. The facility will allow student-athletes to practice and prepare in a championship-caliber facility regardless of weather conditions. Projected start date for this project is late 2016 with a completion date before the start of the 2017 football season.

http://uhcougarpride.com/building-champions/fb-indoor-practice-facility.html#0

• Like 6