kw_uh97

New Development on the University of Houston Campus

952 posts in this topic

My buddy had a trailer barbeque put stolen a few years back. There was video evidence, am eye witness and the guy who sole it still lived there. Nothing ever happened

Yup. That's how it goes. Oh well, looks like Khator is stepping up on some of the security on campus. Maybe that will help out cause I've talked to quite a few people who are second guessing about coming to UH now who either currently aren't in college yet or are either at HCC or UH-D. Really don't want that to happen :S

Edited by Triton

Patrols have visibly increased in the past few years, and they built those little watch tower things in the parking lots so they are making at least a bit of an effort, but really they need to update security across the whole campus. Working security cameras and more than 1 cop for every 800 students would be nice. I also see "out of order" signs on those little emergency call stations way more than I would like to feel safe.

Ultimately, increasing the number of students housed on campus will help as well. Just having lots of people out walking throughout the day should help curb crimes of opportunity. That being said, this is a large campus, and it doesn't seems like we have any more crime than any other university I've attended. When I was at the University of Minnesota we had a couple of robberies at gunpoint in faculty members' own offices.

There was another UH robbery a day or two ago. In my opinion, UH has a lot more crime than I think most universities face.

My only other time outside of UH at a major university was at Texas Tech and we rarely got news of robberies and violence on campus. It seems as if UH sends out at least biweekly emails about these issues. Maybe UH is more informative that TTU was about these issues but I find myself always looking over my shoulder on campus because of the amount of crime. It is a serious serious issue that needs more funding and surveillance than I have seen.

Millions and millions of student tuition funding is going to new stadiums and buildings but a student can't feel safe on campus. Such a shame.

University of Houston doesn't have anymore crime than the majority of other universities.

Yep, UH actually has LESS crime than UT and ATM. That said, the crime at UT and ATM is more student-on-student crime (date rape, dorm theft, bike theft, etc...) whereas UH's is more random (car thefts and break ins and the recent wave of violent crime committed by people NOT affiliated with the school.

I attended UH for grad school and never had an issue with crime.

There's a reason the UH president lives by Rice and not UH.

Which has nothing to do with crime.

1 person likes this

It seems like a&m has an active shooter or someone walking around with a gun every other month.

I noticed today that over the Thanksgiving break they installed the light rails across Cullen. Glad to know they were able to take advantage of the low volume traffic during those school days off.

Actually they installed those over a weekend about two weeks before Thanksgiving break. They closed Cullen late Friday afternoon and reopened it Monday morning.

1 person likes this

Actually they installed those over a weekend about two weeks before Thanksgiving break. They closed Cullen late Friday afternoon and reopened it Monday morning.

Well then I stand corrected good sir. I do go that way every now and then and assumed they used the break to do it. They seem to be pretty rough, I guess they will fix that later on?

I hope they take the opportunity with everyone already expecting a bunch of construction issues to just repave Cullen entirely. It's one of the worst roads in the city.

I hope they take the opportunity with everyone already expecting a bunch of construction issues to just repave Cullen entirely. It's one of the worst roads in the city.

I concur. I feel bad for my car every time I drive down it.

The house on South Blvd. was built by Isla Carroll Turner and later sold to the Cullen family. The Cullens donated the house to the University as a permanent residence for the Chancellor of the UH system that includes UH, UHD, UHCL, and UHV.

False. " The Sterling Mansion was built by Frank P. Sterling in 1925. It was donated to the Museum of Fine Arts in 1948, but was then sold to Gus Wortham in 1951. Lyndall Wortham bequeathed the house to the University of Houstonon her death in July 1980 to be used as a residence for the University President. This building is now named Wortham House. - 3612 Parkwood, Houston, TX 77021" - Wikipedia

1 person likes this

False. " The Sterling Mansion was built by Frank P. Sterling in 1925. It was donated to the Museum of Fine Arts in 1948, but was then sold to Gus Wortham in 1951. Lyndall Wortham bequeathed the house to the University of Houstonon her death in July 1980 to be used as a residence for the University President. This building is now named Wortham House. - 3612 Parkwood, Houston, TX 77021" - Wikipedia

Kinda false. I got the Cullen and Wortham families mixed up. That said, Isla Carroll built that house. She was Frank Sterling's wife and she and her daughter went on to build several well-known Houston area houses while their husbands got the credit.