groovehouse

Defunct Houston Restaurants

groovehouse    7

Even though it's only been gone a short time, I miss the original Antone's on Taft. The chain Antone's pale in comparison to the original locations. I don't even know how many 'original' stores exist.

I also miss ZuZu, which was on Shepherd near Fairview. It was Mexican fast food and I remember a salsa bar or something... it was quaint with good food.

• Like 3

Montrose1100    2631

I miss that drive threw only burger place, and they where cheap, but the BEST! Does anyone remember? I think they had like 3 around Uptown-Westchase... I remember the color yellow, there where generally in parking lots, ONLY drive threw...

and CHECKERS!!! They had the BEST fries!!

Cinco De Mayo on Holzworth (It burned down to the ground)

• Like 2

ssullivan    3

Several from long ago in my childhood when we used to come to Houston to see my grandparents:

-Kapan's on South Main at Kirby (where the Eckerd's is now), our usual Sunday after church lunch place - good steaks and seafood, and those excellent crab ball appetizers that the guy in the white suit used to bring around to all the tables

-Angelo's, another long gone seafood restuarant

-The Strawberry Patch on Westheimer, the Pappas family's country/home cooking concept (Pappas Bros. Steakhouse is there now)

-Tokyo Gardens, the first place I ever had Japanese

• Like 3

Atchafalaya's.

Cajun restaurant, and the first restaurant that became a "favorite" after I moved here. Had a great Chicken Tchopitoulas and the best cornbread muffins I've ever had in a restaurant. The atmosphere was kind of stale, because I guess people started visiting less but the food was great and the staff very friendly.

• Like 1

dbigtex56    171

Renu's, a Thai restaurant on Westheimer near Commonwealth. They had a dish called "Tiger Cries", and I'm drooling just thinking about it.

ricco67    382

The one I REALLY miss is Yakov's Deli.

It was THE place to go. I cried for a couple of days after I found out he left. He was supposed to open another shop, but he never got around to it, I guess.

Ricco

Subdude    1278
-Kapan's on South Main at Kirby (where the Eckerd's is now), our usual Sunday after church lunch place - good steaks and seafood, and those excellent crab ball appetizers that the guy in the white suit used to bring around to all the tables

Never ate there, but if nothing else they should have saved the giant shrimp with six-shooters!

• Like 1

TJones    39

Over the years many many restaurants have come and gone in out fair city. Houston is known as "The Restaurant Capital of The World". Houston has more restaurants per capita than any other U.S. city. I started this Thread to let people list their all-time favorites, of the ones they miss the most. Does anyone remember The Rail Head and Victoria Station from back in the 70's? These were Rail Road themed restaurants, that's were really popular in the 70's and 80's. As a kid it was wonderful. At the Rail Head, they actually had a stage for music acts, surrounded by open rail cars with dining booths and tables. I used to frequent it alot when The Elliot Walter Band used to play there. My mother is really good friends with them. If you never heard of The Elliot Walter band, you have probably heard a song of their's though, it's called "Slime in the Ice Machine". Marvin Zindler's theme song. :lol:

Edited by TJones
  • Like 3

I miss Tony Mandola's Blue Oyster Bar on the Gulf Freeway near Park Place. That was me and my wife's favorite place...especially during their lunchtime happy hour: $2.00 beers, $0.25 oysters and $0.10 boiled shrimp!

I also miss the old Fusion Cafe at Main and Alabama. After it moved to Rice Village, it seemed to lose some flavor....and some "flava". It wasn't the right setting for soul food.

The Elliot Walter Band used to play there.
"Dear, Margaret, Dear Margaret, you have no complaints.

You are what you are, and you ain't what you a'int.

TJones    39
"Dear, Margaret, Dear Margaret, you have no complaints.

You are what you are, and you ain't what you a'int.

Edited by TJones

I'm trying to remember where I heard them, and I believe it was Steak and Ale in SW Houston.

• Like 1

TJones    39
I'm trying to remember where I heard them, and I believe it was Steak and Ale in SW Houston.

That's possible, they played all over Houston back in the 70's and early 80's. The Rama Room at the Ramada Inn on 59 was a usual saturday night gig for them.

On a different note, I think I'm gonna have to change my avatar, it is scary how much that actually looks like me. <_<

MarthaG    1

My favorite was the Cyclone Anaya's that was on Durham at Center (Washington). I know they have opened a new one on Woodway and now even one on Durham, but they will never compare to the one I use to visit on a regular basis. I can remember getting out of the car in the cruddy parking lot in back and smelling the meat cooking. My favorite was the Tacos el Carbon they served with Black Beans. And the Top Shelf Margarita.... one would make you wobble a bit and two could put you down. So Chuy, if you are reading this...we don't want a fancy place, we just want the good food and drinks that use to be. And Rico, I liked the salsa that your dad use to make.

I remember the Rail Head. I remember the Velvet Hammers for desert.

Do you guys remember Fat Ernies that was Downtown?

TJones    39

I seem to remember a Fat Ernie's was at Gessner and Harwin, it is now a blockbuster movies. Good burgers at Fat Ernie's

MarthaG    1

The Fat Earnies I'm referring to was across the street from the Hyatt Regency. When I worked downtown, we would take the tunnels to the Hyatt, then cross the street to the restaurant. Why is it that I remember the drinks more than the food at these places? Singleporsalings at Fat Earnies... I was not even 20 at the time, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

TJones    39

"SINGLEPORSALINGS"

I dare you to say that 5 times really fast. :P

Ummm, I'm putting up SQUARE PAN PIZZA here. I just talked about it in another thread, but it just popped into my mind. One of the absolute BEST pizza places ever. It was on the NW side of town in a strip mall, on 290 and 34th I think.

RedScare    1636
The Fat Earnies I'm referring to was across the street from the Hyatt Regency. When I worked downtown, we would take the tunnels to the Hyatt, then cross the street to the restaurant. Why is it that I remember the drinks more than the food at these places? Singleporsalings at Fat Earnies... I was not even 20 at the time, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

MarthaG, I think you've had one too many of the drinks. Would it be a "Singapore Sling" that you are referring to? Gin, sweet-n-sour, with a splash of cherry brandy and grenadine. It will knock a grown man on his butt, after a few of them, even though it is a sweet drink.

MarthaG    1

Thanks Red... you are correct about the name. I did not take the time to look it up and was splelling it phonically (and not doing a great job at that).

I sort of remember Square Pan Pizza. But the best Pizza in Oak Forest (IMO) is Doyles...which is still in operation.

gto250us    22

There was an All You Can Eat steak place near Sharpstown Mall. I can't remember the name. I was great for pigging out on some cow.

MarthaG    1

There use to be an area that was upstairs at Sharpstown Mall that had bars and resturants. Anyone remember that? Names of any of them? I use to go see live music there sometimes.

TJones    39
There use to be an area that was upstairs at Sharpstown Mall that had bars and resturants. Anyone remember that? Names of any of them? I use to go see live music there sometimes.

Chelsea street pub was one of those places I'm pretty sure. ;) I heard they made one helluva "SLINGAPOURSING" hic-up.

Edited by TJones
  • Like 1