LS27

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Triton said:

Is there any indication from the city that they still plan to expand Sawyer? Haven't seen any reference to that since 2014.

I've lived in first ward since the start of the year and i've seen/heard nothing about that.  The only street stuff thats currently proposed is reconnecting summer street so you can actually get from target to kroger, and there is a request to the transpo board to change crockett from a major thoroughfare to a minor. 

3 hours ago, crock said:

I've lived in first ward since the start of the year and i've seen/heard nothing about that.  The only street stuff thats currently proposed is reconnecting summer street so you can actually get from target to kroger, and there is a request to the transpo board to change crockett from a major thoroughfare to a minor. 

I'll have to see if I can find it. It was a proposal by the city to connect Summer, expand Sawyer to 4 lanes from Crockett to Washington, and have a light at Studemont & Summer St. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Triton said:

I'll have to see if I can find it. It was a proposal by the city to connect Summer, expand Sawyer to 4 lanes from Crockett to Washington, and have a light at Studemont & Summer St. 

So would they just move the light that is next to the Kroger? Weird to have two lights so close to one another.

3 hours ago, Luminare said:

So would they just move the light that is next to the Kroger? Weird to have two lights so close to one another.

Yea... it's quite easy to find the reference to the second light since it's on a whole host of schematics:

Image result for lower heights district

...The hard part is find the Sawyer expansion. I am actually going to create a new thread in the transportation subforum because I think I may have found an article about a Complete Street proposal for Sawyer.

16 hours ago, Triton said:

Yea... it's quite easy to find the reference to the second light since it's on a whole host of schematics:

Image result for lower heights district

...The hard part is find the Sawyer expansion. I am actually going to create a new thread in the transportation subforum because I think I may have found an article about a Complete Street proposal for Sawyer.

I think this section of Sawyer is listed on the city's Major Streets and Thoroughfare Plan as remaining 2 lanes.

• Like 2

As someone who is excited to move into the new Broadstone Summer Street apartments, the re-connection of Summer Street is great news. This area is becoming more and more a real neighborhood and I look forward to the days when people stop flying down Studemont as they try to get to 10 and pay attention to the pedestrians who want to walk Summer Street to get to the "Arts District". I strongly believe this area can be similar to Miami's Wynwood area and look forward to the thriving street art as long as we can harness the industrial, warehouse vibe while keeping everything safe for pedestrians.

The Kroger and Target (IMO) detract from this feel, but hopefully with the Lower Height District and continual development of empty lots in an industrial design, this area will be the most "raw urban" area of the city. This area definitely differentiates itself from the mass produced "un-pedestrian" areas like Upper Kirby, Galleria, and sadly (it should be "cool and urban" but the Westheimer corridor makes me sad with all of the strips) Montrose. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ajgallion said:

As someone who is excited to move into the new Broadstone Summer Street apartments, the re-connection of Summer Street is great news. This area is becoming more and more a real neighborhood and I look forward to the days when people stop flying down Studemont as they try to get to 10 and pay attention to the pedestrians who want to walk Summer Street to get to the "Arts District".

There is literally Hicks Street bridge over Studemont, that should be where pedestrians go, not trying to cross at Summer st.   

• Like 1

The hicks street bridge might be the least-used bridge in the entire county.  it doesn't have sidewalks, but it also doesn't have traffic.  Taking hicks is a more pleasant experience as a walker and biker than crossing studemont will ever be.  The curve around Arnie's warehouse, and the great skyline views you get make it a lovely place to walk/bike.   The townhouses and old brick warehouse are more attractive than the backside of a grocery store and a parking lot.     All i'm saying is we have a underutilized bridge over a major thoroughfare, and i really hope it becomes more utilized for pedestrians and the creation of a neighborhood.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the perfect buyer/builder for that lot would be if Automattic/Wordpress/Tumblr built their headquarters there. Their founder/head is in Houston... their workforce is all remote though.... sigh.  That's basically the only tech company we have that is large enough that could in theory build a small campus like that. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to save and recover much of the posts and photos I shared here (be it news articles, social media posts, etc) before my account was "accidentally" marked spam and all of content and threads created were removed. This thread was updated fairly frequently by me. I think this thread was at least three to four pages long.

I know there were several posts from me about Pokeology moving here, renderings of their space, updated site plans, photos, and news of their closing. 

But here's news about the new tenant moving into the Pokeology space:

From Eater Houston today:

After building up a fan base at various farmers markets and festivals, Chinese pop-up Dumpling Haus is headed to a permanent location.

The restaurant from self-trained chef Elaine Won is set to open its doors at 2313 Edwards Street, Suite 180 in the Sawyer Yards development early next year. 

...Expect Dumpling Haus to hit Sawyer Yards in January 2020.

https://houston.eater.com/2019/11/5/20949843/dumpling-haus-opening-sawyer-yards-january-2020

Here's the master plan for Sawyer Yards.

This comes mrom marketing materials of another Lovett Commercial listing (from 1505 Oliver St material).

Properties that make up Sawyer Yards (not a complete list):

Sawyer Yards Phase I - 2313 Edwards St

Sawyer Yards Phase 2 - 2206 Edwards St

The Silos at Sawyer Yards

1814 Washington Ave

1818 Washington Ave

1201 Oliver St

1500 Oliver St

1505 Oliver St

1520 Oliver St

Q7uURyw.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen a post about this anywhere but does anyone know what is going on next to the new BuffBrew location in Sawyer Yards? Just on the other side of Henderson (I think the address would be 1606 Henderson). The lot is fenced in with a raised concrete foundation covering the whole block and I believe it was owned by a chemicals company for the last several decades. Crews have recently been on site tearing out the concrete pad. If something is being developed I'm surprised they chose this spot instead of the empty grass fields on the other side of BuffBrew that are currently for sale.

Any ideas?

• Like 3