Bob Plumb

GreenStreet Redevelopment + 21-Story Hotel Alessandra

1410 posts in this topic

Thanks TowerSpotter, I did not ask "what" are jumbotrons. I know what they are. I asked where are the jumbotrons? I don't see them in the renderings. I see something that looks like a banner or a sign. I was hoping that the new owners were going to install jumbotrons but these renderings don't look very conclusive.

Youre right, they could be just big banners.

the second to last one seems to have one at the upper right hand area.

the second to last one seems to have one at the upper right hand area.

A Superscreen?

Youre right, they could be just big banners.

Well to me it kind of looks like a Superscreen too. At least from the top right and bottom left renderings.

Edited by TowerSpotter

Hanging out at HP several times over the years I've always felt the best place for a giant screen would be on the House of Blues wall facing east towards Discovery Green and the Toyota Center.

I think part of their demise was failing to capitalize on the huge crowds coming in and out of Discovery Green, the GRB and Toyota Center. If they had a giant led screen there it would be seen by not only DG, GRB, and TC but also the Hilton, Embassy Suites etc.

They could use the screen to:

- Play live teasers of whoever is performing at the moment

- List their upcoming shows

- List other greenstreet store LOGOS

- List all other greenstreet programming, tweets, facebook, etc.

1 person likes this

Hanging out at HP several times over the years I've always felt the best place for a giant screen would be on the House of Blues wall facing east towards Discovery Green and the Toyota Center.

I think part of their demise was failing to capitalize on the huge crowds coming in and out of Discovery Green, the GRB and Toyota Center. If they had a giant led screen there it would be seen by not only DG, GRB, and TC but also the Hilton, Embassy Suites etc.

They could use the screen to:

- Play live teasers of whoever is performing at the moment

- List their upcoming shows

- List other greenstreet store LOGOS

- List all other greenstreet programming, tweets, facebook, etc.

Or even advertisements.

Umm, just out of curiosity, how different do these renderings look from what's already there?  I mean, aside from the giant "GREENSTREET" sign facing Main Street.  

I'm hoping for the best, in any case.  I can't help feeling that a stronger connection to new residential and hotel properties nearby would provide the biggest boost to this project, at least outside of the M-F 9-5 times.  I guess that would be more likely if something new were developed next door.  

The last think I want to see is that GS became another white elephant a la the Holiday Inn / Days Inn / Heaven on Earth Inn.

Umm, just out of curiosity, how different do these renderings look from what's already there?  I mean, aside from the giant "GREENSTREET" sign facing Main Street.  

I'm hoping for the best, in any case.  I can't help feeling that a stronger connection to new residential and hotel properties nearby would provide the biggest boost to this project, at least outside of the M-F 9-5 times.  I guess that would be more likely if something new were developed next door.  

The last think I want to see is that GS became another white elephant a la the Holiday Inn / Days Inn / Heaven on Earth Inn.

I'd say a little different. Looks like their going to change the color scheme, add some tree's, I can't tell if their just adding banners or superscreens but that will be new, and also looks like they are going to add more decorations to the outside. Also I think some shade will be provided there. 

Edit: In my opinion it's going to look better than before.

Edited by TowerSpotter

I'd say a little different. Looks like their going to change the color scheme, add some tree's, I can't tell if their just adding banners or superscreens but that will be new, and also looks like they are going to add more decorations to the outside. Also I think some shade will be provided there. 

Edit: In my opinion it's going to look better than before.

I was hoping the changes would be more than just cosmetic, skin-deep ones.  But, if they do that, and also get more tenants that drew more people, it would be great.

They are enlarging the center court.  Along Dallas, they will be adding sidewalk seating/cafe space.  They will also be adding fountains and, as was mentioned more greenery.  Also, they will be adding mid-block pedestrian crossings.

I have great confidence in the the new owners.  GreenStreet should have a good future.

1 person likes this

The main difference between the renderings and what's currently there, is that there are actually people walking around in the renderings, lol. 

Plus some minor changes to the façade. 

1 person likes this

i hope if jumbotrons are in the plans, i hope its not like those boring- stillscreen ones that are on the outside of the Toyota Center.

i hope if jumbotrons are in the plans, i hope its not like those boring- stillscreen ones that are on the outside of the Toyota Center.

Amen to that

When are they expecting the renovations to be completed and will it be ope during construction?

do i remember correctly that they said they were going to widen the courtyard areas? if so, i wonder how they plan to do that without major structural changes.

Didn't dig too deep but this is what I saw 

"the courtyard in the middle block will be expanded to allow for events."

Only the middle one of the three it seems.

Edited by fatesdisastr

do i remember correctly that they said they were going to widen the courtyard areas? if so, i wonder how they plan to do that without major structural changes.

Who said there are not going to be any major structural changes?

Who said there are not going to be any major structural changes?

i assumed they werent since it said the tenants wouldnt be effected. i now see in the Chron blog post that they are in fact removing some of the building on the inside of the middle block. pretty cool, though i wish they could of expanded the part along main street too so the inner courtyard area had a more open feel to bring in more pedestrians from Main to bring into the events in the courtyard. with them only expanding the middle i feel like it may still be isolated and not get as much attention. maybe some big LEDs along main and going into the courtyard could help bring in people by letting them know about events.

Edited by cloud713

Didn't dig too deep but this is what I saw

Only the middle one of the three it seems.

Correct: Only the middle of the 3 blocks will have an expanded courtyard.

The fencing in the front (main st) entrence is for construction of a decorative fountain.

Work has begun:

Should've kept the bamboo :(

529412_564196400282564_342185617_n.jpg

1175293_565980080104196_939676928_n.jpg

Edited by Urbannizer
5 people like this

Since it has begun I think we should have the mod change the title to "Houston Pavilions to Greenstreet Renovation" or something along those lines.