Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

When the most exciting part of a skyscraper is its first floor, it is not an exciting skyscraper.

I do admit we need more of that though. Houston sky scrapers often look standoffish. Kinda like you need 5 ids and clearance from the Secretary of defense to use the coffee shop in their lobby.
  • Like 1

I'd like it a lot more if it were rising on a formerly vacant lot. IMHO, it doesn't wow me enough to justify tearing down a type of building downtown Houston doesn't have enough of.

Extremely nondescript tan brick moo-plex that had no style even when new?  I'll grant, we don't have a whole lot of those downtown.  Thankfully.

There is a reason that building couldn't draw tenants for love or money.  I toured the joint when looking for office space a few years ago.  We spent less time there than in any of the other prospects.

Edit:  I tried m-e-h again, and got autocorrected to a lowing cow.  Dangit.

Edited by mollusk
  • Like 1

It had outlived its life span as an office tower but it would have made a great apartment building. The operable windows alone would have won me over as a prospective tenant. 

NY is full of nondescript brick buildings but when they are full of life, they add so much to the streetscape.

• Like 2

The renderings seem to have an unusually large amount of Asians. Anyways, it's a nice building, doesn't have the wow factor, but still respectable. However, if this getting built means one of the more ambitious building proposals doesn't get built, then I don't like it

• Like 1

It's actually quiet a humorous observation xD. It's something you don't notice until you really look at it and he is right. While it doesn't really matter it's still funny that whoever did the renderings probably had a generic asian people set in his photoshop and just only used that lol.

• 2 weeks later...

To the right I notice Jones Hall.  I played trumpet concerts there a few times in 1988-90 with the Houston Youth Symphony, one-time saw Doc Severinsen perform and got to meet him afterwards. It was old then. How is that building looking now?

It looks better than ever.  Seriously probably looks better now than it did in 88-90.

To the right I notice Jones Hall.  I played trumpet concerts there a few times in 1988-90 with the Houston Youth Symphony, one-time saw Doc Severinsen perform and got to meet him afterwards. It was old then. How is that building looking now?

Years ago, I saw Doc Severinsen at IAH after he had just exited a plane.  What surprised me was that he was carrying his trumpet bare and by hand w/o a case.  

• 2 weeks later...

They are gettin' busy with demo of this building.  The technique is different than what they did at 609 Main.  They're taking out the "guts" and leaving the frame (for now).

I think that they are taking out the chunk of the tall portion immediately south of the "new" garage. They have already removed probably 5-6 floors worth of a ~30 foot wide strip completely. 

After that part is removed, I think that that they are planning to implode the rest of the tall structure between the removed strip and Rusk. 

The two bays being removed are to make enough room for the 18 &12 story buildings to fall and not hit the 6 story garage on capitol. Once the demo crews reach the roof of the 12 story they will take the same 2 bay chunk out of that one too. It is definitly a pretty complicated demo project.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...