barracuda

Demolishing the Houston Club at 811 Rusk Street for Capitol Tower by Skanska

1313 posts in this topic

My inner voices are saying "parking garage...parking garage!"

Total nonsense. Skanska is not in the business of developing parking garages.

Total nonsense. Skanska is not in the business of developing parking garages.

I googled and found that they've developed lots of parking garages.

They should do a 100 story ultra-huge that looks just like the old Oilers logo, but twisted in to kind of a helix.

No I don't want to pay for it.

I'm guessing 25-ish story modern-ish brown-ish box.

I googled and found that they've developed lots of parking garages.

Can you give us examples of parking garages they have developed? To be clear, we are talking here about a free-standing parking garage, not a parking garage developed in conjunction with an office building or other development. And, don't confuse parking garages they have constructed for others (they also have a construction company) with parking garages they have developed.

Edited by Houston19514

Nobody has Caught this?

Skanska, which is part of a large Swedish multi-national corporation, also is planning a major office tower in downtown Houston. Skanska will demolish the old Houston Club building at 811 Rusk and start a new office tower shortly. Mondshine said the Skanska downtown tower is in the design stage.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/09-27-12-foodie-tower-new-bbva-compass-plaza-will-feature-new-restaurants-from-two-big-name-celeb-chefs/

1 person likes this

Nobody has Caught this?

Skanska, which is part of a large Swedish multi-national corporation, also is planning a major office tower in downtown Houston. Skanska will demolish the old Houston Club building at 811 Rusk and start a new office tower shortly. Mondshine said the Skanska downtown tower is in the design stage.

http://houston.cultu...me-celeb-chefs/

News to me.

Last I read, Skanska had Gensler working on "something" but it wasn't specific enough to be able to call it a "major office tower".

News to me.

Last I reas, Skanska had Gensler working on "something" but it wasn't specific enough to be able to call it a "major office tower".

I wouldn't read too much into this. I suspect it's nothing more than a throw-away line based on an assumption that the new building will be an office tower ( which does seem likely, given Skanska's history).

Edited by Houston19514

I wouldn't read too much into this. I suspect it's nothing more than a throw-away line based on an assumption that the new building will be an office tower ( which does seem likely, given Skanska's history). (and FWIW, the linked article did not say "major" office tower.)

I would imagine that you are correct. There are probably only four or five of us on the planet that would parse the language thoroughly enough to notice a difference.

I wouldn't read too much into this. I suspect it's nothing more than a throw-away line based on an assumption that the new building will be an office tower ( which does seem likely, given Skanska's history). (and FWIW, the linked article did not say "major" office tower.)

You might be right it being a throw away line, but i copied and pasted the quote so "major" is actually acurate.

You might be right it being a throw away line, but i copied and pasted the quote so "major" is actually acurate.

Sorry. Right you are about the "major". (I've edited my post accordingly.)

Sorry. Right you are about the "major". (I've edited my post accordingly.)

We haifers have taught ourselves to be skeptical, no worries, just Wanted to clarify.

I notice on downtownhouston.org's downtown map they have already labeled the block as "Capitol Tower". Jumping the gun?

This is going to SUCK.

They're going to tear down a perfectly viable building (that would make wonderful apartments by the way) for a speculative office project. Only problem is, they aren't the only player in the game (see Brookfield, see Hines, see Shorenstein's Exxon Bldg. plans, see the two block Macy's deal now in play...)

When will we learn? There's a greater than 50/50 chance that if this thing comes down, nothing will replace in the near future.

This is going to SUCK.

They're going to tear down a perfectly viable building (that would make wonderful apartments by the way) for a speculative office project. Only problem is, they aren't the only player in the game (see Brookfield, see Hines, see Shorenstein's Exxon Bldg. plans, see the two block Macy's deal now in play...)

When will we learn? There's a greater than 50/50 chance that if this thing comes down, nothing will replace in the near future.

At least the potential Brookfield and Hines projects are on vacant lots. The problem with Macys and this is that they involve tearing down existing structures, increasing the risk of ending up with vacant lots for years.

There must be a ton of upside in taking a risk like this. The interesting thing to me is how a usable, building like HC is underused in its current state, but something new in its place would justify the cost of a whole new tower. I guess that's the devil in the details of real estate development.

My niece just landed a new job downtown. She is moving from Denver where she currently lives downtown. While walking around today to show her the area and explore the tunnels, she decided to check out a few places to live.

As of right now, there are NO apartments at all in the Humble Tower Building. Zero. The next one scheduled to come on the market wont happen until April.

One Park Place's availability was pretty much non-existant. There were a handful of 2 bedrooms open but at whopper prices.

The Hogg Lofts were also 100% spoken for and only efficiency studios were being shown at the Rice Lofts.

The demand, especially for apartment living, is there. I simply do not understand why the rumored Texas Company conversion hasn't happened? It also makes me sad to see a building like the Houston Club come down. Again, that place would make for some killer apartments with some ground floor retail thrown in.

My niece just landed a new job downtown. She is moving from Denver where she currently lives downtown. While walking around today to show her the area and explore the tunnels, she decided to check out a few places to live.

As of right now, there are NO apartments at all in the Humble Tower Building. Zero. The next one scheduled to come on the market wont happen until April.

One Park Place's availability was pretty much non-existant. There were a handful of 2 bedrooms open but at whopper prices.

The Hogg Lofts were also 100% spoken for and only efficiency studios were being shown at the Rice Lofts.

The demand, especially for apartment living, is there. I simply do not understand why the rumored Texas Company conversion hasn't happened? It also makes me sad to see a building like the Houston Club come down. Again, that place would make for some killer apartments with some ground floor retail thrown in.

I think central Houston has a spreadsheet with downtown vacancy rates and it's like 3% or something crazy like that

They've had a steady waitlist for a couple years now. I was on it for a while, but found something else.

St. Germain and Capitol Lofts both have leases available, or there's one in 1011 Wood St. Club Quarters also actually just got some reasonable priced lease units. Might try CityView also.

Edited by kylejack

I think central Houston has a spreadsheet with downtown vacancy rates and it's like 3% or something crazy like that

Ok, so maybe I overstated the vacancy rate, but it's still pretty dang low. Check out this excel spreadsheet

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2012-09-13/2012_Residential_Stats_Spreadsheet.xls

They've had a steady waitlist for a couple years now. I was on it for a while, but found something else.

St. Germain and Capitol Lofts both have leases available, or there's one in 1011 Wood St. Club Quarters also actually just got some reasonable priced lease units. Might try CityView also.

Thanks for the heads up. We walked by CityView, but she didn't feel comfortable with the area. She's 23 and barely 5 feet tall and less than 100 pounds. It's just too isolated and would be too far of a walk at night from her office tower (Chevron Bldgs).

I thought the St Germain and Capitol Lofts were both condo buildings? When did they swing rental?

Our next step was going to be to hit har.com and look for individual rentals that might be on the market. She was thinking she was going to move into the Montrose area but she really liked the feel of downtown and said it reminded her of where she lived in Denver so she's now very open to the idea. Her job starts Monday!

Thanks for the heads up. We walked by CityView, but she didn't feel comfortable with the area. She's 23 and barely 5 feet tall and less than 100 pounds. It's just too isolated and would be too far of a walk at night from her office tower (Chevron Bldgs).

I thought the St Germain and Capitol Lofts were both condo buildings? When did they swing rental?

They're condos with some owners who rent their units. Has a building manager and etc. There's a few listings right now on HAR.

Our next step was going to be to hit har.com and look for individual rentals that might be on the market. She was thinking she was going to move into the Montrose area but she really liked the feel of downtown and said it reminded her of where she lived in Denver so she's now very open to the idea. Her job starts Monday!

Lots of cool stuff happening in Downtown right now. OKRA Charity Saloon is now open, The Modular and Batanga restaurants opening soon. I hear a couple other bars are coming in that area as well.

Edited by kylejack

She just signed a 6 month lease in Greenway Plaza but will spend the next few months looking for a downtown pad... if she ends up loving her job.

Have you been to OKRA? I love what they are doing and want to swing by to show support. The owners of Batanga are friends of friends. I've heard they are about 2 weeks from a soft opening.

She really should have done midtown or memorial heights while waiting. No big deal though.

I went to Okra on Friday night. It was awesome.