PNC Plaza At 2200 Post Oak Blvd. & Mixed-Use At 2120 Post Oak Blvd.

lockmat

They said we will crash in 2016.

What will crash? Oil? Natural Gas? The US economy? Everyone I have talked to in the last few months hear swirling rumors of many companies looking to expand current offices/consolidate other US offices/completely move here. And this is all across the board of different industries.

• Like 2

I went to the Hilton Americas for breakfast yesterday and all the developers were there. They said we will crash in 2016. For $89 a cold egg wrap, it suck! They said the 609 Main building is the best project and will be a icon for Houston. Nothing said on Chevron getting concern if they will not build it.

What event was it?

construction costs are messing with a lot of projects right now... it's a huge concern. if you got it priced 6 months ago you're probably off by 10% now. that will kill a deal fast.

10%? I've been hearing costs have gone up almost 50%. And there are labor shortages. I wonder if any of those kids from Honduras know how to swing a hammer.

You are right, Chevron should have started construction the original date.  I have a bad feeling about it now. 

chevron didn't start as originally planned because they allocated funds for money-making endeavors rather than sunk costs; they still need the building; the resources are worth more elsewhere at the moment.

Why Dallas? wouldn't Houston's economy be more vulnerable considering its economy is mainly based on one industry? 

One would think. But Dallas' economy is highly sensitive to dot-com busts and sheds a lot of jobs at the drop of a hat. I think they are more construction-leveraged than Houston. We saw that in 2001 and again in 2008. Oil, by contrast, has been holding up real well.

I'm also a little skeptical of any sort of "crash". 2014 was supposed to be the year the Houston economy hit the "pause" button, but hiring in the oil and gas sector added 5,000 jobs to the economy in the last two months, and there will be a lot of design engineers working on a lot of chemical plants over the next three years, so the party may continue for a while.

That is, until this town gets too expensive to live in.

Edited by toxtethogrady

• 4 months later...

Hotel and office building

Location: Uptown on Post Oak Boulevard north of Westheimer and next to the BBVA Compass building at 2200 Post Oak Blvd.

Developer: Houston-based TRC Capital Partners

Original plan: In 2011, a group affiliated with the Redstone Cos. - now TRC Capital Partners - said it was planning a hotel and office tower on the Uptown site. It said the project was contingent on financing and could be underway within a couple of years.

Update: At the end of last year, the developer signed an agreement with a hotel brand and plans to break ground on a full-service hotel in the second or third quarter. The office building has been put on hold until a tenant can be found.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Cracks-forming-in-commercial-real-estate-market-6037038.php#/0

• Like 6

The hotel is signed and there will be apartments on top. 

That said, don't look for a Ritz or a W. It's going to likely be a local boutique brand is what I am hearing.

a local boutique brand?? crazy they can afford to build something this big. i wonder who is a large enough local to build that? Midway doesnt have anything in Uptown yet do they? maybe they are trying to hit all the major markets in town..

The hotel is signed and there will be apartments on top.

That said, don't look for a Ritz or a W. It's going to likely be a local boutique brand is what I am hearing.

Interesting, I had heard it would more than likely be a larger flag hotel as opposed to Redstone or something more boutique. Granted this was in October give or take.

• 1 month later...