Midtown Real Estate

Globalarb

There are plenty of sex businesses currently in midtown that have been around for decades. Historically this area has always been this way, at least from the gay side. Club Houston (a bathhouse) has been there for 20+ years and lets not forget the Midtown Spa (also a bath house). Venture-N was notorious for its activities and its glass floor upstairs. Meatrack is an anything goes type place and I believe it is still open. There used to be a "theatre" off Louisiana called French Quarter that was torn down for the Calais project. There used to be a third bath house off of Tuam and Genessee where Meteor now sits. I have also have heard of places that closed down in the 80's due to the first wave of AIDS deaths.

My point is this, this is not a new thing.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the former location of the French Quarter theater was the SE corner of Louisiana and Elgin which was torn down a few years ago but hasn't been used for anything... today it's still a vacant lot.

And what about all the "modeling studios" in Midtown such as the "Aloha" on Brazos and Tuam? Those have been there for years too. I sure wouldn't want to live next door to one...

BTW, I've heard there's actually a sex club in River Oaks shopping center over the River Oaks Theater?

WGG, yeah, the FQ was a nice old building but I guess it would be impossible to disinfect it completely to ever use it for anything else. Same with the Aloha which appeared to have once been a nice little house at one time.

Thanks for the name - Mafreless...that's the place I was thinking of... It just shows that these kinds of places appear even in the best of neighborhoods.

Astro:

You are correct, French Quarter was on Louisiana and Elgin.  I am glad it was torn down.

The club you may be thinking of near River Oaks theatre is the Marfreless, 2006 Peden st.

Here is a review:

Marfreless

It appears to be straight make out place, needless to say I have not visited.

Wow guys. Hold on. Marfreless is NOT a sexually oriented business, nor is it a swinger establishment or anything of the sort. It's a pretty classy wine bar , and yes, it does have areas where people make out, but it is far tamer than what you would see at most of the dance clubs in Houston.

Marfreless is for dates.

That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. Not a sex club.

The Meat Rack and Club Houston should be shut down. They do a good job of keeping out the cops. Check out the entrance to Club Houston. One way in with cameras, one way out.

And the Meat Rack is pretty much a walking glory hole maze.

Nice. No wonder STDs are rampant in the "community".

There are plenty of sex businesses currently in midtown that have been around for decades.  Historically this area has always been this way, at least from the gay side.  Club Houston (a bathhouse) has been there for 20+ years and lets not forget the Midtown Spa (also a bath house).  Venture-N was notorious for its activities and its glass floor upstairs. Meatrack is an anything goes type place and I believe it is still open. There used to be a "theatre" off Louisiana called French Quarter that was torn down for the Calais project.  There used to be a third bath house off of Tuam and Genessee where Meteor now sits.  I have also have heard of places that closed down in the 80's due to the first wave of AIDS deaths.

My point is this, this is not a new thing.

Club Houston!!!!

I thought that was somthing like "The Downtown Club" (sophisticated Aristocrates), but when I saw Ford Taurus' and F-150's in the parking lot, I thought it was a gym... Until I went in... :lol:

So far as I know, no law is being violated. This is a private club, and the activities are legal (except in the case of someone who knowingly transmits HIV).

What appears to be happening is that an existing (not new) SOB is moving to a more sparsely populated part of Midtown. Isn't that a slight improvement?

So far as I know, no law is being violated.

They're legal and perhaps were there before most of the new residents, however, they are vile and, I would guess, the majority of Midtown residents would like to see them gone. This is the sort of thing that exemplifies the bad aspects of no zoning/free-for-all Houston. There comes a time when the neighbors and certain elements butt heads (no pun intended). We have sort of a similar situation in my neighborhood where the "existing element" have been turning houses into businesses and trashing our once (long ago), purely residential boulevard. It's been going on for many years but the critical mass of people, due to new people moving in and old residents realizing that others feel the same way, has been reached and we are now faced with having to figure out a way to stop it. The City won't help, they just don't have the laws. Our deed restrictions expired long ago and, until we get them back, we need to come up with another solution. So, we share a problem, and the solution needs to be grass-roots. The 5 Ps; Publicity, protests, pickets, petitions and people power.

Does anyone know when and where the meeting will be held. Believe me, this is MY neighborhood and we have enough prostitutes, drug dealers, etc. We have had our windows tagged with etching spray paint. The back of our building (1945 beautiful brick) tagged with spray paint. Windows broken every other week for the last 4 or 5 months. People in our lot late at night trying to sell drugs. Yes, we turn in police reports to "get it on the record". Metro and HPD are trying to clean it up. However, they can't be everywhere at once.

Does anyone know exactly where they plan on being on Main Street or San Jacinto? Not at Main and McGowen becouse that had the car dealership, Green Sheet, Camden property. Not next door to the Green Sheet because that had Art Square Studios and Art Supply, not next to that because that is owned by Mr. Brackman. Where, exactly are they supposed to move? I will be at the meeting, if only someone will tell me when and where.

KHOU report:

Click to watch video

HOUSTON -- For several years now, the stream has run steady with folks moving back to the city. Approximately 25,000 call it home now.

KHOU

The Meatrack's Web site is one of the reasons Midtown neighbors are fighting against it.

But in the middle of it all is Midtown.

Even on this cloudy day, Noel Cowart can see how much has changed in the last few years from his 14th floor high-rise home.

"This has become a premier neighborhood to live in," Cowart proclaimed. "I'm delighted to live here. What I'm not delighted about is having some sexually oriented business moving in to my neighborhood near to churches, schools and residents."

A gay club called The Meatrack signed a three-year lease to rent a building in the 2900 block of Main Street right along the rail line.

"He has a Web site and it's a very graphic Web site," Cowart said referring to the club.

True. Meatrack.org leaves little doubt as to what happens inside. The site says it has lockers, towels and free condoms throughout the club. Plus, restraints, an exam table and other fantasies. The Meatrack encourages its customers to have safe sex.

But this place considers itself a private club. Membership is required to get inside. But you can buy it at the door for $5.

"If that's what he's doing and that's the type of crowd he's generating I don't want him in my neighborhood," said Cowart.

There are other clubs like the Meatrack already open in Midtown. In fact, it's only moving three blocks to its new location. But it'll open right in front of the light rail line, right on the Main Street corridor.

While many may consider this club immoral, we discovered it may not be illegal. These clubs operate in a gray area of the law. They don't serve alcohol. There are no dancers for hire. And going in customers sign off that graphic sex isn't offensive. So it's not considered a sexually oriented business. That makes it difficult for opponents. Even the ones at City Hall.

"Main Street has been designated as the signature boulevard for the city of Houston," said Councilwoman Carol Alvarado. "We have the Main Street Coalition that has put a lot of time resources and thought into developing Main Street. This is not the type of business we want on Main Street."

But Alvarado and others can't find any legal way to stop the Meatrack from moving to Main Street.

"We've got to get people to move back to the city," proclaims Peter Brown, who helped found the Midtown Coalition. "They want to move back. They're tired of commuting."

Peter Brown fears places like the Meatrack will deter development in Midtown, especially the empty lot directly across from the club.

So, Brown's trying to update standards new businesses have to follow in hopes of keeping these types of clubs from opening. Brown said he would rather see a more pedestrian friendly urban environment.

"It's going to do a lot to attract people back to the city," Brown said looking over artists' renderings of new Midtown development.

But for now there appears to be little that anyone can do legally to prevent the Meatrack or any other so-called private club from opening their doors where they want.

Link

note: Access to KHOU website requires sign-up (free)

So let me get this straight, if you'll forgive the expression...the problem is that people are shocked by the website, so the business should move or close?

The impact on Main Street would be minimal, as almost certainly the customers will be using the rear entrance (of the building - what are you, 14?) I imagine it would be in the best interests of the Meatrack to make its presence as discreet as possible. I seriously doubt if they'll have display windows (or signs) on Main Street.

A three year lease isn't forever; by the time any residential development in the area is built and occupied, the building's owner will be in a better position to lease to a more conventional tenant. This property has sat empty for quite a long time; it's a beautiful old building and a paying tenant provides an incentive for the owner to maintain it.

Me wants to barf...

I have an idea! Have them suddenly change it to a mexican restuarant, like everything else!

(no offense to anyone- just a trend seen lately, also a thread)

One of you actually made a statement that made a great deal of sense:

The bar DOES only have a 3 year lease, it may be possible, at the end of that lease that he could be priced out.

If the place is any indication of how the Venture N used to be like, the crowd will be fairly discrete.

The ones that are out in public, aren't necessarily the ones going to the club.

Ricco