Midtown Real Estate

Globalarb

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All regions are deserving...but the reality might not provide for it right?

A good friend of mine area in Chicago went through the same revitilization that Midtown is going through now. They too had the crime similar crime problems. At the end of the day it is not going to get better until several more areas are revamped in midtown. It is just going to take time.

I believe Glen is correct in his information on the constables.

In regards to the River Oaks police being paid by the association fees, you have to remember, their fees are substantial enough to be able to hire accredited law enforcement officials (which is NOT cheap) as well as the infrastructure they need to operate properly.

Midtown does not (yet) have that kind of wealth to throw around. At best you can hope for is a constable and hire two or four police officers for four hour shifts at night or whatever hours you want to be "protected."

Before going further with this conversation bear in mind something that doesn't make it into the news:

Beverly Hills and Hollywood mansions have been having averaging 40-60 breakins a MONTH for the past year or so.

Basically what I'm saying is, crime is everywhere, just protect yourself and be aware of your environment.

Ricco

• 2 weeks later...

One year later, Metro rail still a dividing line

Some point out lots sitting empty; others say change, developers need time

By DAVID KAPLAN and NANCY SARNOFF

Depending which way you turn your head at the Ensemble/HCC stop on Metro's light rail line, it appears great things are starting to happen - or the area is going nowhere.

In one direction, stylish shops and eateries are popping up. There's the cosmopolitan Julia's Bistro with its violet and mango interior and glass windows overlooking the train. Tacos A-Go-Go, a hip taqueria sporting a statue of Carmen Miranda, will open in several months.

But look in another direction, and the neighborhood seems full of empty lots, boarded-up buildings and panhandlers.

Both optimists and pessimists can make their case about how the 1-year-old light rail will shape development along the route.

Some believe the rail will generate something new for Houston: dense "urban villages" where people live, work and play. And some don't.

Since the Main Street light rail opened, no major development has sprung up along its seven-mile corridor. Experts advise that patience is required; it takes five years or more for such growth.

But Houston, a city with no zoning, could pose a challenge: Unlike in many other cities with rail lines, no rules here encourage urban environments combining residential, office and retail space.

Developing in time

In the late 1990s, when city and Metro leaders were trying to sell Houstonians on a light rail line along Main, they emphasized the economic benefits of new development.

Today, a year after the rail line opened, the adjoining landscape looks much as it did before the line was built.

"It's incredibly disappointing that nothing has happened on Main Street of significance," said David Crossley, president of the Gulf Coast Institute, a nonprofit group promoting quality-of-life issues.

Metro Chairman David Wolff counsels patience: "I'm not at all disappointed. These things take years."

Michael Bayard, a senior research fellow at the Urban Land Institute, agreed. In Washington, D.C., he said, it's taken from five to 28 years for development to take off around subway transit stops.

"Development is a complicated business

Peter Brown, an architect and urban planner, said few new projects have been built along the rail line because developers see Houston as a gamble. Cities such as Denver and Dallas created redevelopment authorities to guide development along urban transportation systems.

The size of the area is crucial because there is strong opposition to anything that smacks of zoning.

So developers see Houston as a gamble because of no zoning laws so they are reluctant to build new things. Yet, there is a strong opposition to anything that smacks of zoning! What gives?

I know it's still kind of early, but it would really help the case for light rail if some significant project would break ground. I think this year will be a good one for development, but at this point light rail proponents need something to point to as a success for rail-centered development.

The article totally ignores Camden's proposed development near the McGowen station that is supposed to be breaking ground sometime this year.

In the printed form, there is a graphic with a few rail line developments.

I know it's still kind of early, but it would really help the case for light rail if some significant project would break ground. I think this year will be a good one for development, but at this point light rail proponents need something to point to as a success for rail-centered development.

I'm gonna listen to my own words and preach patience on this...even my impatience gets the best of me now and then...but then i have to remind myself of these developments nationally and how long it takes for the impact to truly settle.

I am glad these things are both brick and for ownership. This will be a great change from the traditional faux stucco rentals, like the Calais or Post.

There are the two new medical towers on tap for this year.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...p?showtopic=288

And then there's Camden's Point Center Midtown:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...p?showtopic=659

I'm not sure if they're going to break ground on the new Firefighter's Museum this year. There's a big sign with a rendering of the building on the empty block next to the Cadillac dealership.

http://www.houstonfiremuseum.org/InviteFin...20building'