Midtown Real Estate

Globalarb

sad but true...

It is getting better - but that's part of living in a revitalized space - one must deal with these upsetting factors.

On the other hand, it seems at times as though the city police are busier setting radar traps in our neighborhoods than walking and patrolling them. I guess revenue generation is more important than the greater good for the community.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least I haven't seen that skinny Vietnames drug addict lately. I had witnessed him sneaking into and stealing items from open garages . . . called HPD both times, but he was gone by the time they responded. The officers seem to know him well. (BTW, I'm Vietnamese so I'm within the bounds of political correctness when I say "skinny Vietnamese".)

The officers seem to know him well. (BTW, I'm Vietnamese so I'm within the bounds of political correctness when I say "skinny Vietnamese".)

LOL

I have to agree with a number of the posts. This is a neighborhood in transition, the thing is that the thefts, as a whole, shouldn't be considered unusual. The same thing happens in the heights and various subdivisions around the city and outlying subdivisions to a lesser or greater degree.

It just seems that midtown is getting the press because it's a "hot place" at the moment.

Ricco

Man, the stories I could tell on the adventures my wife and I had in Midtown. The first thing we had stolen was a plant, and then our Christmas wreath. Damn Grinch bum. Too much stuff to mention.

I caught that Vietnamese drug addict in my garage a couple of times. He is skeleton skinny due the all the heroin he smokes. He would ride his bike and whisper at people. I know he stole my dust pan for sure. Caught him trying to take part of my weed eater once.

One day I saw him wandering around. About half an hour later, he speed out in front of me riding a $1000+ mountain bike (nice GT) and wearing a negligee and a helmet.

I drove up and said, "you stole that bike, you stupid @##$ as I honked at him".

He said "Eye Sawrrreee" as he rode off down McGowen to Third Ward to exchange it for and heroin.

It was surreal. I was LMAO at him.

And don't forget that black guy who wears the hat and jeans and smiles all the time. He's freaky deaky. It funny when you know the bums in your hood.

I stand by the thought that Midtown is indeed getting better. The truth is that there are more homes being built and more people moving in...making for 'fresh pickin's'...i.e. everyone has a 'garage experience' before they learn how to protect themselves from it. Simply put, you can't leave your garage door open...

Don't mistake the numbers of incidents to equate to worse conditions. This will be a trend that will continue. One of the contributing factors, imho, is that Perry Homes builds these gated areas which allow for some of these things to happen in a 'hidden' fashion. My garage comes out to the front of the street...so it's much more visible. Folks in the Perry's sometimes have a false sense of security being that they are behind these electronic gates...and leave their doors/garages open.

In any case, use your head, LOCK UP. I also have lost plants and the like...and it SUCKS. Small price to pay for living in a region which could deliver big promise in the times to come.

the plus i s that when i have bulk trash to throw out, i just put it on the driveway and someone takes it!!!

Yes, there's crime in Midtown . . . but there's crime in the Woodlands too. Many Woodland, and other well-to-do suburban parents are too focused on their careers . . . spend too much time on their commutes, that they have very little time with their kids. I've seen many stories/studies on this phenomenon. Both parents are pressured to excell in their careers to support their lavish homes/lifestyle, that they have little time with their kids. Parents compensate their lack of time with their kids, that they lavish them with fancy cars and expensive toys. Young kids (lacking proper adult guidance) many times end up commiting petty crimes. Isn't it curious that your typical pipe-bomb maker is a white suburban teen male? Remember the Kingwood girls?

Many Woodland, and other well-to-do suburban parents are too focused on their careers . . . spend too much time on their commutes, that they have very little time with their kids.

Good grief. It's short sighted folks like you who give many "urbanists" a bad name.

Even if you elimanted crime in The Woodlands and Midtown, Midtown would still have the herion lovers and crackheads wandering around in a daze walking in the streets.

What's the point in living in the city and choosing not to have a career if you have to deal with Mr. Nugyen the crackhead?

Simply put, you can't leave your garage door open...

My Perry faced the steet and we did not have a gated community.

Not being able to have your garage door open is like living in a cage. I would work on my patio, and would have to worry if I even stepped in for a second.

Is that any way to live?

All "holed-up" hiding from the scavangers?

Yes, there's crime in Midtown . . . but there's crime in the Woodlands too. Many Woodland, and other well-to-do suburban parents are too focused on their careers . . . spend too much time on their commutes, that they have very little time with their kids. I've seen many stories/studies on this phenomenon. Both parents are pressured to excell in their careers to support their lavish homes/lifestyle, that they have little time with their kids. Parents compensate their lack of time with their kids, that they lavish them with fancy cars and expensive toys. Young kids (lacking proper adult guidance) many times end up commiting petty crimes. Isn't it curious that your typical pipe-bomb maker is a white suburban teen male? Remember the Kingwood girls?

The reason cases like the bored white kid bombers and the Kingwood serial robber girls get attention is that they are random crimes that could affect anyone. Typical crimes in places like The Woodlands are, as you said, caused by kids with too much time and too little supervision. They usually only affect their little cul-de-sac or people they know.

Crimes like the ones in Midtown are noteworthy because they are more random, and could affect anyone in that neighborhood. They aren't bored kids, and they are more likely to escalate.

On a side note, I'd like to just say publically that Carolyn Mungo is one of the few real reporters at KHOU, and should be commended for most of her reports. When she came down to Houston from Boston she had a reputation for being a real hard-nose reporter, and it's good to see that she isn't just filing puff pieces like so many others in the market.

My Perry faced the steet and we did not have a gated community.

Not being able to have your garage door open is like living in a cage.  I would work on my patio, and would have to worry if I even stepped in for a second.

Is that any way to live? 

All "holed-up" hiding from the scavangers?

Many of the new perry communities being built today and originally built on the east side of Main Street are indeed gated and don't have independent driveways and such. I should've been more clear - many GARAGES are behind the houses on the Perry's and as a result, it's easier to be 'hidden' if you're a thief. I know the Perry's on the west side of Main (i.e. near West Gray) are a different story...but aren't they technically outside the confines of Midtown?

In any case - i'm not suggesting that it's so bad that you need to close your garage every second you walk in your house - I am suggesting using common sense. Don't leave valuable items on your driveway/patio; lock your doors; don't leave your garage open for extended periods - ISN'T THIS STANDARD PROCEDURE when living in the core of one of the largest cities in the country? Urban settings have this kind of petty activity - can't avoid it. On the other hand, how many home invasions and assaults have taken place in midtown?

You seem to be griping a lot about the bums...and I can understand the frustration associated with dealing with these guys. But once again, you are in an urban setting in a neighborhood which is being revitalized. We knew what we were up against when we moved into our midtown townhome almost four years ago. But it is still frustrating and one must be patient.

The bums don't bother me as much as the scammers who walk in the streets in front ot traffic.

You can thank the Chronicle for that. They used to be illegal until the Chronicle took the city to court so their "news boys" could sell in the medians. Now anything goes. Thanks, Chron. Thanks for making the city a better place to live.

You can thank the Chronicle for that.  They used to be illegal until the Chronicle took the city to court so their "news boys" could sell in the medians.  Now anything goes.  Thanks, Chron.  Thanks for making the city a better place to live.

The HPD officer that comes to our Civic Club meetings says that they are all illegal, except for the Chron hawkers. However, he said that they are not a priority for HPD, obviously.

Midtowncoog, I'm not short-sighted, I'm just reporting what I've read. . . don't shoot the dammed messenger! The point I'm making is that there is crime everywhere. I live in Midtown, and I'm just thankful that we don't have any serious crimes . . .just stolen plants & Christmas decorations. That! . . . I can live with.

Ok, so petty theft is apparently not uncommon for townhome dwellers.  But what's it like for people living in apartments?  Is security tight enough that if I, say, move to a midtown apt I don't have to worry about people sneaking in and taking my stuff?

I lived in a midtown apartment and never had a problem with theft. Most of it is common sense protections like not allowing a person in who you do not know. I loved living there and knew that I would have to deal with some increased risks. For me, the increased risk was worth all the bonuses that came with living in Midtown.

I bought a house next to the railroad tracks in West U, but those damn trains won't stop going by at 2am.....

I bought a house in Pasadena, but can't stand the smell.......

I bought a house in the Woodlands, but can't stand the drive.....

I bought a house in the Galleria, but can't stand the traffic.......

(I don't have any views on this, just random observations)

Heavy Trash Day

True, but they also are walking talking Pigpens. They mess they leave behind is terrible.

They won't even use Charles LeBlanc's trash cans.

My favoirte trash activity is when they toss their brown bad lunches that the mobile churches hand out.

Maybe one day that church will organize a trash pickup in Midtown.

pigpen.gif

I challenge you to point out a fat Vietnamese person. What's crazy, is how much Vietnamese people eat!

My wife is Vietnamese, and everytime we all get together to eat (her family), there are mountains of food. They eat, I swear, twice as much as me - yet, never gain a pound! I do have to admit, the food is pretty damn good though :)

Glen

You ate her family?

:huh:

"... a census taker once tried to test me...I ate his LIVER...with some FAVA beans...and a NICE CHIANTI........Fvv-Fvv-Fvv-Fvv-Fvv-Fvv-Fvvvvv...."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

• 2 weeks later...